Can anyone in Uk rent me their super-16mm cam?

NathanCoombs

Hi,

Im looking to shoot a test roll on super-16. Does anyone in the UK have a camera that I can rent out for a day?

Im looking to take it out for an afternoon and do not want to pay rental house prices.

Converted Bolex, Aaton, anything will do really. Although must be able to take 400ft loads.

cheers!

ncoombs@fastmail.co.uk

Hi,

Im looking to shoot a test roll on super-16. Does anyone in the UK have a camera that I can rent out for a day?

Im looking to take it out for an afternoon and do not want to pay rental house prices.

Converted Bolex, Aaton, anything will do really. Although must be able to take 400ft loads.

cheers!

ncoombs@fastmail.co.uk

u can borrow my arri (£950) for 4 hours.

Cheers

• Premium Member
Hi,

cheers!

ncoombs@fastmail.co.uk

Hi,

If its just a test why do you need S16. Won't 16mm do what you need'

Stephen

i agree with him, 16 is much better, but it depends whats the project like. if its a sci fi i wouldnt mind hd. if the look desired is futuristic, sort of clinical i wouldnt use 16 mill at all

good luck, mate

p.s i can get you an arri sr2 for 500 quid for a day, scotland based...

p.s i can get you an arri sr2 for 500 quid for a day, scotland based...

I presume all you people are joking with these ridiculous rental rates. I can go to a pro-rental house and get an XTR-prod for £300/day without even bargaining it down.

For a private rental Im looking at £100-150 a day max

After all I could just buy a super-16 bolex ebm off ebay for £1000 if I wanted one.

HD is rubbish mate 16mm all the way

REALA 500D (trust me) fuji got film on lock

Another joke? whats the point of 500D?

• Premium Member
Hi,

cheers!

ncoombs@fastmail.co.uk

I assumed you were joking with your ridiculous request.

Let me see, I have invested tens of thousands of dollars in my expensive, fragile motion picture equipment, and you, who are too cheap to "pay rental house prices" want me to rent you my expensive, fragile motion picture equipment for less than what a rental house would charge. And since you are so cheap, I will just assume you will not have insurance to cover my expensive, fragile motion picture equipment that you want to use for an afternoon. So if you happen to drop or break or scratch any of my expensive, fragile motion picture equipment, I guess I will just have to pay thousands of dollars to have it serviced and repaired.

Yeah, looking at it that way, I can't understand why more people aren't jumping in to offer their cameras. In fact, someone should offer to pay you to use it. Why not?

-Tim

I assumed you were joking with your ridiculous request.

Let me see, I have invested tens of thousands of dollars in my expensive, fragile motion picture equipment, and you, who are too cheap to "pay rental house prices" want me to rent you my expensive, fragile motion picture equipment for less than what a rental house would charge. And since you are so cheap, I will just assume you will not have insurance to cover my expensive, fragile motion picture equipment that you want to use for an afternoon. So if you happen to drop or break or scratch any of my expensive, fragile motion picture equipment, I guess I will just have to pay thousands of dollars to have it serviced and repaired.

Yeah, looking at it that way, I can't understand why more people aren't jumping in to offer their cameras. In fact, someone should offer to pay you to use it. Why not?

-Tim

What nonsense. I asked to use someone's Bolex or converted Arri which are not worth tens of thousands. I doubt your top-end kit is even worth that, unless you have unrealistic resale prices in mind.

Im looking to take out a £2000 camera for about 4 hours. With deposit. Im even happy for the owner to film with me if they want to take care of the kit.

If this is such a problem then fu** it, I'll leave everyone to polish up their beauties.

• Premium Member
What nonsense. I asked to use someone's Bolex or converted Arri which are not worth tens of thousands. I doubt your top-end kit is even worth that, unless you have unrealistic resale prices in mind.

Im looking to take out a £2000 camera for about 4 hours. With deposit. Im even happy for the owner to film with me if they want to take care of the kit.

If this is such a problem then fu** it, I'll leave everyone to polish up their beauties.

Hi,

FWIW to convert an Arri properly will cost a great deal of money.

Stephen

Ok in one last ditch attempt to explain this as clearly as I can, without upsetting some of the fragile egos on here:

Are there any non-pros, i.e. normal folks not harping on about their £20K kit and union rates, who happen to have a s16 cam of any type, willing to help out a fellow filmmaker for 4 hours to shoot a test roll for £150? i.e. easy PAID WORK (£37.5/hour)

After all the ads I've seen looking for DPs with their own kit to shoot shorts for expenses only, I don't think this is an incredible request.

:blink:

Obviously you don't know what your talking about otherwise you wouldn't have said that.

It is blatantly clear from the fact that I want to shoot a test roll that I am looking to try out s16 for the first time.

However, I do know film stocks and their uses. 500T is great but what is the point of 500D? The only uses I can think of are:

1) Shooting in dark, stormy weather

2) For a great depth of field using a long lens

3) For a daylight balanced indoor shot

All of these uses seem pretty niche and so your recommendation for 500D as THE stock to use is either a joke or complete ignorance.

Ok in one last ditch attempt to explain this as clearly as I can, without upsetting some of the fragile egos on here:

Are there any non-pros, i.e. normal folks not harping on about their £20K kit and union rates, who happen to have a s16 cam of any type, willing to help out a fellow filmmaker for 4 hours to shoot a test roll for £150? i.e. easy PAID WORK (£37.5/hour)

After all the ads I've seen looking for DPs with their own kit to shoot shorts for expenses only, I don't think this is an incredible request.

:blink:

It is blatantly clear from the fact that I want to shoot a test roll that I am looking to try out s16 for the first time.

However, I do know film stocks and their uses. 500T is great but what is the point of 500D? The only uses I can think of are:

1) Shooting in dark, stormy weather

2) For a great depth of field using a long lens

3) For a daylight balanced indoor shot

All of these uses seem pretty niche and so your recommendation for 500D as THE stock to use is either a joke or complete ignorance.

u can borrow my K-3 for 500 quid for 1 hour with me operating it. Deal?

bloody hell, man

i mean why all this bad blood, the fella just wants to borrow a camera for a cheap price im sure he thougt about a deposit and stuff...mate, im telling you again, ive got an sr2 here in scotland and ill happily do it for the price you asked. i can take it along wherever you are in the uk. i know im a student but ive got experience with 16 mill i can send you a showreel

and for gods sake, enough of the bullshit

Edited by federico bonfanti

This thread suddenly turned a bit nasty, but none the less there are some non-profit rental organisations out there, like Four Corners in east london that can rent you an older Arri or Aaton for £100-150 a day (though remember VAT, and they will probably charge you extra for providing insurance).

Also if your planning to use something like a Bolex EBM in your test remember the camera and the lens will be 30 years older than an HD camera, which doesn't make for a very fair comparison for film.

Also if your planning to use something like a Bolex EBM in your test remember the camera and the lens will be 30 years older than an HD camera, which doesn't make for a very fair comparison for film.

Hi;

True but the box is just the box really, if it's well serviced and maybe has a PL mount adapter it should be great, it's the film stock that is the HD sensor of the film world.

Olly

Hi;

True but the box is just the box really, if it's well serviced and maybe has a PL mount adapter it should be great, it's the film stock that is the HD sensor of the film world.

Olly