The cheapest 16mm negative processing available

• Premium Member
Hi all,

in your experience, in which lab processing was the cheapest cents/ft ratio? It would also be nice to know the actual cost. Many many thanks.

richard

Best to simply contact labs that are near you, and ask for a price quotation:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/....4.17&lc=en

Some labs post prices on their websites.

Often the level of service and quality, and good lab "relationships", are more important than price per foot. Talk to other filmmakers in your area to find labs they have been pleased with.

You should also ask the lab if they give discounts for: Students, Non-profits, PSAs, or bulk discounts for sending a large order in.

We give discounts here at Colorlab. Also if you establish a relationship with a lab as a regular customer they may offer you a discount after showing you will be a consistent source of business (we do this as well here at Colorlab)

PM me for a price quote.

Hi all,

in your experience, in which lab processing was the cheapest cents/ft ratio? It would also be nice to know the actual cost. Many many thanks.

richard

Check out www.cinelab.com, they offer $180 per 400' of stock, processing and telecine(best light) to many formats including straight to drive. They do offer volume discounts beyond the already cheap prices, so give em a call. I have used them and will continue to do, they do great work at great prices.

I've used the lab that Chris referred to, CineLab, more than once and have always been pleased with their results. Unsupervised transfers are scary, in my opinion, but these folks seem to specialize in them. They also provide a host of other good stuff as well. Definitely checkout their website: CineLab

i now use Movielab for processing and printing 16mm color neg. they provide quality and friendly service. ive used a lot of labs in the past ten+ years and these guys are good, but not sure their connection with ColorLab...anyone? www.movielab.com

I've used the lab that Chris referred to, CineLab, more than once and have always been pleased with their results. Unsupervised transfers are scary, in my opinion, but these folks seem to specialize in them. They also provide a host of other good stuff as well. Definitely checkout their website: CineLab

We give discounts here at Colorlab.
Check out www.cinelab.com,
i now use Movielab

Looks to me as though Richardson was posting from Canberra - that's Australia.

I guess he'd be looking for an Australian lab :blink: Unfortunately there are none in Canberra, it's interesting to hear of anyone who is possibly shooting film in Canberra!

Anyway, Sydney and Melbourne are both closer than anywhere else.

Recommendations for US labs are interesting, but probably don't help. You'd eat up any cost differential in the shipping costs - that's if you managed to ship the unprocessed stock safely in the present security climate.

BTW there are at least three labs called Movielab around the world. Experience with one won't tell you much about the others - they aren't connected in any way.

Some labs discount some services sometimes: some labs offer better care and service than others. Some labs offer better quality processing than others - and if you are going to the expense of shooting film, you'd want to know about more than getting the cheapest price for processing.

• 3 years later...

Colorlab in MD. acted like I was from another planet when I called them inquiring about processing and telecine pricing. They are close to me and I really wanted to drive my film up to them and meet the folks working there. Vibe I got was "why are you bothering me". Maybe I wasn't calling with 5000ft. to process and telecine so they weren't interested?? Not sure but the folks at Movielab are great to work with and really friendly. I use Movielab in MD. exclusively now.

• Site Sponsor
Colorlab in MD. acted like I was from another planet when I called them inquiring about processing and telecine pricing. They are close to me and I really wanted to drive my film up to them and meet the folks working there. Vibe I got was "why are you bothering me". Maybe I wasn't calling with 5000ft. to process and telecine so they weren't interested?? Not sure but the folks at Movielab are great to work with and really friendly. I use Movielab in MD. exclusively now.

Uh they are the same company check out google maps.....

-Rob-

Uh they are the same company check out google maps.....

-Rob-

Movielab does processing for Colorlab on occasion but they are definitely different companies and different owners. I just called Movielab and talked with the owner. Again today, the folks at Movielab were extremely nice and willing to answer questions.