Recommend me some films

Daniel Smith

Hi.

I'm slowly starting to pick up my interest in film again, except for this time I'm taking it on with the right attitude, and know how.

So, I need to start watching some *good* films. What can you guys recommend? I imagine a lot of stuff on the lines of Stanley Kubrick?

If you could write down some suggestions and I'll get watching.

Cheers.

recommending films is like recommending a good restaurant...all a matter of taste, but if it helps i'll tell you some of my favs :)

- Rain Man

- House Of D

- City Of God

- The Weatherman

- The Exorcist

- The Thin Red Line

- Big Fish

- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

- Brotherhood of the Wolves

- The Last Emperor

and maaany more :)

i think its always a good idea to look outside the group of the "usual suspects" as well. kubrick, kurosawa and Co. werent the only good filmmakers...check out less know directors and movies as well. And most importantly....check out foreign movies as well...americans are not the only ones making movies. check out european, indian, asian productions and so on.

recommending films is like recommending a good restaurant...all a matter of taste, but if it helps i'll tell you some of my favs :)

- Rain Man

- House Of D

- City Of God

- The Weatherman

- The Exorcist

- The Thin Red Line

- Big Fish

- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

- Brotherhood of the Wolves

- The Last Emperor

and maaany more :)

i think its always a good idea to look outside the group of the "usual suspects" as well. kubrick, kurosawa and Co. werent the only good filmmakers...check out less know directors and movies as well. And most importantly....check out foreign movies as well...americans are not the only ones making movies. check out european, indian, asian productions and so on.

Ok cool thanks. I'm actually going to copy the films you mentioned down onto a checklist. I'm more or less forcing myself to watch more and more films, but it's not asthough I'm not enjoying them.

(I can't actually think of any films I don't like, I tend to like everything I watch. Maybe that's a sign of narrow taste I'm not sure.)

Anyway, thanks Dominik. B)

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member

Here's a repost of a list of films by David Mullen that he felt every film student should see. It' will give you a good start, since all are available on DVD. [* = films I've added ] I'd advise that whenever possible try to see these films projected, it will increase your appreciation for cinema. All the best!

B&W:

Sunrise

Citizen Kane

Night of the Hunter

Out of the Past

Battle of Algiers

The Man Who Wasn't There

Dr. Strangelove

The Elephant Man*

COLOR:

Black Narcissus

Lawrence of Arabia

The Godfather, Part 2

"Apocalypse Now"

"The Conformist" [not on DVD, but try and see a print]

The French Connection

Days of Heaven

Blade Runner

JFK (for mixing of formats)

Snow Falling on Cedars or Sleepy Hollow (monochromatic design)

The Constant Gardener or City of God (mix of Super-16 and 35mm is interesting)

Collateral or The Celebration (development of a digital aesthetic)

The following are films I consider required viewing (Most of them are pretty obvious, but a few of them are not):

Naked

Vera Drake

Metropolis

M

Rear Window

Vertigo

Strangers on a Train

Badlands

Ararat

Dead Man Walking

The Third Man

The Grand Illusion

The Beat that My Heart Skipped

The 400 Blows

Gandhi

Chinatown

Some notable ?indie? films from the last few years?some of which may be imperfect?but all of which are definitely worth checking out include:

In This World

The War Within

The Ballad of Jack and Rose

The Believer

There are too many great films to ever compile an even remotely adequate list. And of course it all comes down to personal taste. Anyway, this is just what popped into my head right now.

Apart from most of already mentioned , most of Sergio Leone , West Side Story , just the wonderful Super Panavision 70 images , 25asa , night scenes look better than most you see now . The Hill. Sydney Lumet , director , Ossie Morris , cinematography , very rough B+W , suits the story so well very powerful film and Sean Connerys best ever performance . Will carry on thinking !! . John Holland .

I got a netflix account for three months and then cancelled it (I ran out of money). Here are the movies that really stuck with me:

A Woman is a Woman (shows what I think are anamorphic lens flares?) Correct me if I'm wrong.

Alphaville

Boy's Don't Cry

Battle Royale

Happy Together

The 400 Blows

(I rented over 50 movies, but I can't remember them.)

My favorites: (which I'm sure you have all seen, but if you haven't, you really should)

City of God

Annie Hall

Five Easy Pieces

The first Star Wars film: A New Hope and then maybe Empire Strikes back. Maybe parts of Return of the Jedi but that's it. fu** the rest of them.

Elephant

I love making fu**ing movie lists. I'm sorry.

• Premium Member

How about Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch". Antonioni's "Blowup". David Lynch's "Blue Velvet". Orson Welles "Touch of Evil". Can't believe Mullens left that off his b&w list.

For subtle, smart comedy and a highly stylized look check out Wes Anderson's "Rushmore".

Happy Viewing!

W. Greene had a fantastic list and "why"/"what" to go with it. Everyone here has a fantastic list....

I am also in favor of viewing films that are in diametric opposition regarding film theory. I guess this is more of a directors thing...But, no, because it has to do with grammar.

Watch:

Tarkovsky/Eisenstein (Tarkovsky wholely rejected "montage")

F.Lang/Goddard (Goddard loved Langs films and considered him a master, but his style is opposite)

If you're not into that, my general pics would be "Andrei Rublev" and "The Woman in the Dunes"...Also "Le Corbeau" and "Wages of Fear"...there are so many! (These films are all B&W, however...)

Of course the American New Wave of seventies cinema is a film school unto itself...so much, so much..

Forgot! RAGING BULL!!! MIND BLOWING!!!

Edited by Jon-Hebert Barto

Hey guys. A lot of what you've suggested is on my favorites list, too. I thought instead of adding, I would give a quick commentary on a few of the movies that really influenced me visually:

City of God - I was blown away when I discovered it was shot on film and then telecine'd to HDCAM, which was then graded digitally and filmed out. I always use this film as the example of the "poor man's D.I." It's one of the most beautiful movies I've seen. And I saw it projected.

Le Pacte des loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) - Another gorgeous film. There's a fight scene near the beginning that has some of the best editing I've seen. I think the entire scene (covered from about a zillion angles) was shot 50fps, then speed ramped in post. What gives it away is the high speed shutter effect -- not intentional, but simply a result of running the cameras at a high frame rate and then removing frames to get back to 25fps (25 because it's French).

28 Days Later - This is my all time favorite example of a DV movie done correctly. Shot using the Canon XL1 (PAL).

The Thin Red Line - Okay, this is a really long movie, and somewhat boring at parts. However, the look is absolutely stunning. The "magic hour" stuff is really, really beautiful. I like to use this movie as an example of good cinematography because I don't think anyone but Terry Malick is insane enough (or has enough financial support) to go to the great lengths he does to achieve such amazing results.

All for now. This is getting long. ;)

Lawrence of Arabia

The Shining

Apacolypes Now

The Godfather

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Jaws

Titanic

Aliens

Ben Hur

Young Frankinstien

Dracula

Dr. Strangelove

The Searchers

Saving Private Ryan

The Great Escape

The Temionator

Predator

Platoon

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

the Exorsist

The Maltese Falcon

Casablanca

Psycho

Vetigo

La Strata

Rebel without a Cause

American Graffetti

Star Wars

Alien

Giant

The Wizard of Oz

Gone with the Wind

White Heat

Frankenstien

The African Queen

Modern Times

A Place in the Sun

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Patton

The Seventh Seal

The Seven Samuri

The 10 Commandments

The Thing

Faces

Annie Hall

MASH

Goodfellows

True Grit

Dirty Harry

The Sixth Sense

Grease

Oklahoma

Terms Of Endearment

E.T.

Wild at Heart

Pulp Fiction

Enter the Dragon

The Breakfast Club

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Deliverance

Cool Hand Luke

The Posiden Adventure

Jason and The Argonauts

Touch of Evil

In my opinion this is a list of what I consider to be perfect movies. These are the standards by which one should gage their own work and from which one should learn how films should be make. B)

Many of my favourite films have been mentioned hear already, but here are some that haven't, new and old.

The Devils Backbone (Del Torro)

Day for Night (Truffaut)

Shadow of a Doubt (Hitchcock)

The Man in the White Suit (Mackendrick)

The Best of Youth parts 1 & 2 (warning its 6 hours long)

Ohio (Ozu)

Plein de Soliel (Clement)

The Narrow Margin (Fliecher)

Journey to Italy (Rosselini)

The Innocents (Clayton)

Don't Look Now (Roeg)

Rocco and His Brothers

Trainspotting (Boyle)

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

• Premium Member
Antonioni's "Blowup".

Definitely a must see. This one is on my "top 5".

Beyond just being a brilliantly directed film, it really is a study in both camerawork and editing. And of course, minimalist dialogue.

AJB

BLOW-UP for sure...It is also one of the only films I know of that uses its action as metaphor, not just its lighting. Briliant picture that many disregard as pretentious...

How about Coppolas " RUMBLE FISH ", talk about image as metaphor! He practically hits you over the head with it. I think Burum did this, he is a baddass mofo....His work with Depalma is also stand-out!!! Check him out pronto.

Some that haven't been mentioned:

12 Angry Men

Casablanca

The Thing (1982)

Magnolia

The Deer Hunter

Murder by Death (so it's not great cinema, give me a break, it's still awesome!)

Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal

Following

This thread makes me want to sign up with Netfilx...

(Oh, and Apocalypse Now was mentioned, make sure you get a hold of the original cut, not the redeux)

You really consider Predator a perfect movie? ;-) Really funny, I'll give you that, but perfect? One of the all-time greats to turn the sound down on and make up dialogue with friends. Maybe you're right.

Yes, In the Action / Adventure genra it has stood the test of time, generated sequiels, been imitated and parodied and is know to virtually everyone. It is as exciting today as it was the day it came out. If one were planning to make an action / adventure film, I don't know of any film I could recommend more to show someone how it should be done. B)

Some that haven't been mentioned:

12 Angry Men

Casablanca

The Thing (1982)

Magnolia

The Deer Hunter

Murder by Death (so it's not great cinema, give me a break, it's still awesome!)

Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal

Following

This thread makes me want to sign up with Netfilx...

(Oh, and Apocalypse Now was mentioned, make sure you get a hold of the original cut, not the redeux)

I mentioned Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Casablanca, that I can forgive, but Apocalypse Now, the original cut over REDUX????!!!!! BLASPHOMY!!!!!!

A sprinkling of films I like:

Stalker (Tarkovsky)

The Spy That Came in From the Cold

Taking of Pelham 123

Taxi Driver

Sweet Smell Of Success

The Duellist

In Cold Blood

Dog Day Afternoon

The Last Detail

Hud

All Sergio Leone films