Two Minute Short - Texting

Andy_Alderslade

As there have been some genuine complaints about nobody ever posting stuff related to this category I thought I'd post a link to this.

Its a short called 'Texting'

Was shot on 2 rolls of Vision 200T neg on a Beaulieu ZM4008 with the Schnieder lens. Filtration using an 85B.

Thanks to the combined incompentance of Andec Filmtechnik (for losing part of the footage), The Widescreen Centre (for doing a ghastly telecine and for scratching the neg) and Todd AO for not bothering to provide a cleaning service (despite their high price) it looks pretty rough, and due to that i've tried to push it that way even further.

Here on You Tube:

and also here on Jump Cut:

http://www.jumpcut.com/view?id=84E38A4E476...0A31EE329CBD869

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

i'm not sure i totally understand, but perhaps i'm not meant to.

Can you say what you did not understand, -i'm very keen to know. I'm concerned about some of the audio levels - wonder if people can undertand them.

Some concerns about flicker?

I believe it was telecined on an URSA Diamond, which is what Todd-AO use, however I suspect what you think is flicker is either, the considerable amount of neg dust or the stacato feel of the beaulieu's short shutter which is sometimes conbined with small amounts of post-slow-motion.

• Premium Member

I liked it a lot. I love the format. As for the story though it felt a bit one dimensional, the character speaks his desire and there isn't any insight gained at the end. I'm not saying it's bad at all, but I think this is where a few viewers indicate confusion. I would suggest some sort of turning point in there but that's just me.

Cheers, for all the feedback everyone, its all appreciated.

I liked it a lot. I love the format. As for the story though it felt a bit one dimensional, the character speaks his desire and there isn't any insight gained at the end. I'm not saying it's bad at all, but I think this is where a few viewers indicate confusion. I would suggest some sort of turning point in there but that's just me.

I see what you mean, though admittedly this was an exercise to challenge myself with camera and lighting - i've lost my interest in writing films since experiences at film school.

I believe the ghosting is from doing slow motion in post, perhaps combined with the short shutter speed.

A nice little film you got here. To bad about the labs not being more careful with it. :P But all in all in looks nice. Great to see you keeping Super 8 alive! :D

You can get that strobing if you don't de-interlace when doing your compressing for web.

What was it transferred on?

Thanks for posting!

• 1 month later...