1st RED footage

Emanuel A Guedes

Thanks for the link Emanuel.
You're welcome!

I got a very fast download at: http://www.redusers.net/
Häak (Häakon, the cinematography.com member) courtesy.

I'll be curious to see the footage with faces. I'll be even more curious to see footage shot outside with skies and faces as this is where HD has it's biggest struggle.
I agree. As all of us, I'm sure.

Let the dust settles down and we will see who :huh: will have the ultimate laugh as real outcome. :P

--------------------

RED, A SYMBOL OF BIRTH AND LIFE

VITTORIO STORARO in AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER

From the Tarot of Color:

RED-

Too Much: Agression, anger, burnout, pushiness, hatred, adiction, abuse of charisma, irresponsiblness, manipulation, hot-blooded, hot-headed, stress, flareup, chaos, danger, frustration

http://tarotofcolor.com/red/

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale

From the Tarot of Color:

RED-

Too Much: Agression, anger, burnout, pushiness, hatred, adiction, abuse of charisma, irresponsiblness, manipulation, hot-blooded, hot-headed, stress, flareup, chaos, danger, frustration

http://tarotofcolor.com/red/

Of course, he conveniently left out:

RED-

Meanings: Intense Passion. Devotion, Demanding. Strong emotions such as love and anger. Life blood. Masculine. Eliminating the useless. The Flame that purifies. Mars. Passion, Action, Desire, Strength, Hot, Courage, Daring, Excitement, Outer worldly action. Will-Power, Deep Passion for everything life has. Survival Issues. The Element of Fire. Intense activity.

"Eliminating the useless." I like that... thanks Leo. :)

We are talking about a camera. A CAMERA. In fact, a camera that does not even exist yet. A camera is a tool that allows DP's to create the best images they can, in the needs of the story. A Film camera is nothing but a box that film runs through, a video camera, perhaps slightly more, but either way, this is not the Holy Grail, it is not the answer to every filmmakers' dreams, and it is most certainly not a substitute for talent.

I wish Jim Jannard and his company every success, but I also wish that people would realise this is a (future) camera, not a Playboy centerfold, so there's no need for the adolescent wank fantasies that it seems to evoke.

When RED hits the streets, we'll all find out exactly what it can and can't do. Until then, WTF!

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, but I'm just so bored with all this speculative nonsense that has eclipsed any other form of rational discussion on this board.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, but I'm just so bored with all this speculative nonsense that has eclipsed any other form of rational discussion on this board.

I just wanted point out that you're reading a RED forum within the cinematography.com > cinematography forums > HD Only forums. This information isn't being emailed to you, you have to click to it yourself. If it bores you, stop.

While not being a paradigm shift for movie-making and not a substitute for talent, the RED camera is somewhat of a paradigm shift in professional cameras and that's intriguing for people and people will start to fantasize about how this could enable them. Why is that intimidating? That's all part of the creative process.

Since the RED camera, as you point out, does not exist - any discussion at all is going to be speculative. So, what else would you find in a RED forum but speculative information? If speculative information is bothersome, this would not be a forum to read. I wouldn't want to read about surgical procedures, it would make me feel queesey probably. So, I don't read about them.

And now for a mildly related esoteric thought:

Something I learned from coaching actors for many years is that one of the greatest things for people to overcome is to allow themselves to lose their shame and let themselves shine. People talk about "presence" from an actor. While it is assumed that this is something someone has or does not have, I disagree. I believe it can be learned because I've watched it happen. It can take years and lots of training, but it can happen. Most of that training is focused in two steps. 1. Learn to lose the fear of being shamed by others for trying to act or think or be outside of the conditional accepted norms of expression. 2. Learn to share that level of comfort with others and give it to them as a gift in your awareness of them.

I just wanted point out that you're reading a RED forum within the cinematography.com > cinematography forums > HD Only forums. This information isn't being emailed to you, you have to click to it yourself. If it bores you, stop.

Mark,

I'm well aware that this a RED forum. My comments were not directed at those who have sensible, rational comments to make, only at those who wish to engage in shameless promotion and/or denigration of a product that none of them have any first hand experience with.

the RED camera is somewhat of a paradigm shift in professional cameras and that's intriguing for people and people will start to fantasize about how this could enable them. Why is that intimidating? That's all part of the creative process.

No it's not. It's just another camera. It will do no more and no less than any other camera. You can buy it for $17K? No, you can't, you need to buy lenses, and batteries and a recording medium, and who knows what else?

So all of a sudden you can buy a 4K camera - so what? How does that change the position of 99% of the people who post about it? I have no problem with people fantasising, but I do have a problem with all the ridiculous arguing (both for and against) that has characterised every discussion about RED on this board

Jim Jannard's marketing campaign has been well thought out, and brilliantly executed, but let's not forget that:

1. RED does not exist yet.

&

2. Even when the RED camera exists, it is going to be far more expensive than most people who post here can afford.

Let's forget the Hyperbole, and all the attendant nonsense, and wait for the FACTS.

• Premium Member
...the RED camera is somewhat of a paradigm shift in professional cameras and that's intriguing for people and people will start to fantasize about how this could enable them.

Im not quite sure what you mean by a "paradigm shift." I thought the paradigm for cameras was that you aim them at a subject and capture images onto some sort of recording medium. I dont see how RED is shifting that basic premise.

I actually find it humorous that any camera would be considered a paradigm shift. Maybe when they operate off of thought patterns instead of being directed manually can it be considered a paradigm shift.

I'd have to agree that a functioning Red certainly is not going to cost 17.5 I have already bought a set of prime lenses (Canon K35s) for 8,500.00 - plus the cost of having PL mounts on them....add that to a Red Zoom and the Red itself, sotrage, accessories.....it is a sizable investment. I wanted to have my own camera package. It certainly, in my market would allow me to take more jobs. It will enable me to have a versatile camera that can shoot a number of formats, with close tangibles to film (although it won't have those very nebulous, but very important intangibles that make film the prime format). I hope that this camera will help me make the next step in my career, project-wise. It sure as hell is not going to make me a better cinematographer. I was considering a HDX900 - but I went with this. Of course, all this rests upon the camera actually being produced....which it isn't, yet. I make no judgments, and certainly no predictions. I just hope to be able to shoot with it someday. Regardless, it is a sizeable chunk of change. I don't care who you are, that type of investment always should be measured with caution.

I already posted it but these guys act like our observation is abusive instead their own comments in the others' home. Actually, Tim already acted in order to stop the RED bickering on this project LINK1 & LINK2 -- the same word posted before first by you here and myself's post there.

Jannard is out from this community because of such actions but not in behalf of this community. Who doesn't understand his option?

While not being a paradigm shift for movie-making and not a substitute for talent, the RED camera is somewhat of a paradigm shift in professional cameras and that's intriguing for people and people will start to fantasize about how this could enable them. Why is that intimidating? That's all part of the creative process.

Since the RED camera, as you point out, does not exist - any discussion at all is going to be speculative. So, what else would you find in a RED forum but speculative information? If speculative information is bothersome, this would not be a forum to read. I wouldn't want to read about surgical procedures, it would make me feel queesey probably. So, I don't read about them.

And now for a mildly related esoteric thought:

Something I learned from coaching actors for many years is that one of the greatest things for people to overcome is to allow themselves to lose their shame and let themselves shine. People talk about "presence" from an actor. While it is assumed that this is something someone has or does not have, I disagree. I believe it can be learned because I've watched it happen. It can take years and lots of training, but it can happen. Most of that training is focused in two steps. 1. Learn to lose the fear of being shamed by others for trying to act or think or be outside of the conditional accepted norms of expression. 2. Learn to share that level of comfort with others and give it to them as a gift in your awareness of them.

Great post in all of its points. Thanks for share.