Arri 16BL 24fps gear

Mark A. Rapp

I have an Arri 16BL with which I intend to shoot a short this summer. My question to anyone in the know is this: is the 24fps gear in the camera adequate for shooting sync sound? I know: I should have an electronic sync mechanism. Will the camera running at 24fps with the 24fps gear be adequate for takes over more than a few seconds?

If you've got the constant speed motor there's no problem using the sync output from the camera into a Nagra (or perhaps even the second track of a DAT). Although you might have to some thinking about the best method for syncing it up again in post if you're doing a non linear edit.

I have an Arri 16BL with which I intend to shoot a short this summer. My question to anyone in the know is this: is the 24fps gear in the camera adequate for shooting sync sound? I know: I should have an electronic sync mechanism. Will the camera running at 24fps with the 24fps gear be adequate for takes over more than a few seconds?

No way of telling without a test. It depends entirely on how accurately your particular governor is set.

You might be interested in our TSCt Tobin Speed Checker. It has 7 crystal speeds including 24, and you can tell right away whether the speed is accurate or not. You could use it to adjust the governor contacts on your motor for near zero drift compared to crystal speed. We just made up a final small batch of these by popular request. The TSCt can be admired at http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page9.html .

• Premium Member
No way of telling without a test. It depends entirely on how accurately your particular governor is set.

You might be interested in our TSCt Tobin Speed Checker. It has 7 crystal speeds including 24, and you can tell right away whether the speed is accurate or not. You could use it to adjust the governor contacts on your motor for near zero drift compared to crystal speed. We just made up a final small batch of these by popular request. The TSCt can be admired at http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page9.html .

Now if we could just get you to make up another batch of TXM-22 motors, all would be right with the universe. :D

Thanks again for the pics Clive,

-Tim