2-perf Panavision?

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

Hi James and Victor,

I have a couple of 35Hs as well (2 and 4 perf), and I also have lubrication concerns. I don't have anything running yet (I should in the next 2 months), but when I do I should have some accurate lubrication information from a technician. I will try to share that information to all when it becomes available. I agree Victor, this nutty project is not for the faint of heart!

Bruce

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bruce, The main problem is lack of professional prep and backup because most of the Commiecam world have worked outside of the industry. I worked 30 years on IA features doing gripping and gaffing and know how to prep a job. So venturing into the Camera world, I respect the routine the Camera department follow. The first batch of 2 perf cameras that arrived in New York, were rushed into service without proper backup and camera prep. I mean have you ever heard of the "600" Mo school? You would get your butt whipped if you did not prep the camera and shoot some tests with film with all the lens to make sure all systems are go. In hindsight those 2 perf camera's were sent to Bernie O dothery for camera prep after the job, and some issues were cleared up with TLC. What makes you think that camera gear that has been sitting around since 1990, all of the sudden rushed into service will operate without any issues, it's asking for trouble. Mags have to be checked as well. Each and every one. Lens collimated and ft/meter marks checked. So at some point, when my camera's are being put together, as I am still waiting for someone to join me in a two perf conversion at Aranda....I am going to go fly to sweden to hang with anders and get a crash coarse on the proper maintaince of the kinor. He knows these camera's inside out and can field strip them when trouble happens. It is very important to make sure that belt adjustment and lubing is constantly checked. Believe me if you start to hear a loud squealing sound, shut the camera off immediately. There is a regular lube schedule one must do after so many thousand feet is shot. That is what top notch AC's do like religion, during the start of each day and during lunch in the camera trailer, the mitchell movement is an old design they didn't have the self lube model yet.....hahahahaha

Victor

• Premium Member

Hey all,

I am so glad to hear that 2-perf is on it's way back in. Old film cameras are getting cheaper by the year, making the conversion to 2-perf more reasonable. This will all just get better and better, forestalling the complete abondonment of film in favor of the currently, aesthetically inferior digital. (That last statement ought to get me flamed at least once :) )

• Premium Member
...forestalling the complete abondonment of film in favor of the currently, aesthetically inferior digital. (That last statement ought to get me flamed at least once :) )

No flames yet, Paul. Maybe no one else is reading this thread! Of course I completely agree with you. Concerning Victor's observations: yes, all precision mechanical machines require maintenance and care from qualified service people. It is unreasonable to expect to pick up a 30 or 40 year old camera and expect it to run as though it is new and just serviced by a qualified technician.

• Premium Member
I heard that Panavision Woodland Hills converted a camera to 2perf for Titanic to shoot some underwater stuff. They did the conversion to give them more running time in an underwater mag.

It was an Arri-2C, so it may have already been a 2-perf camera that Panavision converted to take Panavision lenses.

Hi All

I too have been interested in 2 perf 35mm for a while. Its definitly not new, the italian westerns of the sixties, and also Bollywood.

Here in Australia I know of two films that were shot in this format over the last 5 or so years. "The Finder" and "The Crop". I could be wrong but I think the Lab involved was called Movielab.

What interests me is the DI. I personally have never been a big fan of optical stage blow ups. The DI has made a huge difference with quality on the big screen for either s16mm / 2perf 35mm or super 35mm productions.

I was actually thinking when I wrote it that, their should be a James Cameron exemption :) . as I cannot name many other great examples from that era. Unfortunatly for me Gladiator did not look great on a 70 ft screen, more the cinema pushing the boundries of 35mm than the film to blame obviously.

I am currently working as a projectionist and have run many tests over the past few years for a friends post house, 2 perf 35 and s16mm to me looked amazing. s16s traditional washed out look completly gone.

Currently here in Australia many cinema techs are suggesting that D Cinema will ultimatly result in the death of the 2.4 ratio. The Painted Veil in England fiasco may be a sign of whats to come. I shall start up a new thread to try to gain some perspective. Personally this seems insane to me.

Edited by Cameron Glendinning

Hi David,

Alex Georgiou had but still may have a 2 perf arri 2c for sale in London...I thought it was quite cheap and was considering it for our production. his UK number is 02088572431 (add your international code) website is www.supervision2perf.com...he may even rent.

hope it goes well

rob spence

Because I'm a renter, not an owner, so any 2-perf camera would have to come through a rental house. I could ask Clairmont or Ottos in LA if they can get ahold of any 2-perf movements. Of course, the other problem is that an Arricam is not a cheap camera to rent, unlike a Panaflex GII.

David

I spoke with a rental house in Holland. They have a 2C with 2 perf for commercial shooting. This is a saving money on film alternative and competitive with HD and even super 16.

you know more than I do, correct me if I am wrong

David

I have a 2-perf Kinor available for rent. It's modified by Bruce at Aranda and tweaked by Bernie at Super-16 inc.

A really nice camera. I love the format. Hopefully I'll get some footage from it posted on my website soon.

Jimmy

• Premium Member
I have a 2-perf Kinor available for rent. It's modified by Bruce at Aranda and tweaked by Bernie at Super-16 inc.

Could you please state what needed to be tweaked after the 2-perf modification was made? Thanks.

Hi Jim, How have you handled the 2 perf film in your post production work flow?

A really nice camera. I love the format. Hopefully I'll get some footage from it posted on my website soon.

Jimmy