Wide angle LEns for S16

Martin Yernazian

• Site Sponsor
I'm looking for a wide angle for s16 and I don't want to spend more than 600? what you will recommend ?

BEst

ps: I have a c mount and a PL.... you tell me ?

BEst

I think the Kinoptik 5.7mm is the least expensive option for a lens that fully covers Super16. I have one for my Aaton and it is softer on the fringes than in the middle but the next step up is a Century for 3-4 times the price. I think 5.7mm Kinoptik lenses are going for $1000 to $1500.

-Rob-

I agree about the kinoptic... but 1000-1500 I think that's on the market but I wouldn't pay that much for that lens ....

Also I will love to try the Angenieux 5.9 I know it vignetes a lttle bit but some people use it and they love it

BEst

Guest Ian Marks

Since the Angenieux sells for about what the Kinoptik does but doesn't cover Super-16, I'd go for the Kinoptik. Also, while a dealer might charge 1,000-1,500 for a 5.7, a private seller won't ask that much. Of course, you'll have to factor in the cost of an Arri-to-PL adapter, and the lens has to seat perfectly. There is a C-mount version of the Kinoptik, but you probably shouldn't hang that off your Eclair's turret without a support.

• Site Sponsor
I agree about the kinoptic... but 1000-1500 I think that's on the market but I wouldn't pay that much for that lens ....

Also I will love to try the Angenieux 5.9 I know it vignetes a lttle bit but some people use it and they love it

BEst

I think the 1K plus price would be for a very nice lens maybe even in PL mount I paid $300 for mine but that is because the person who had it before me did not realize there was a set of shims under the mount which caused a focus issue on his camera. If you want a top lens be prepared to get a mount put on it and have it collimated.

I do not find mine to be a particularly heavy lens so with some care I would think a C-Mount would be fine.

I do not know about the Angie but I think it has better sharpness but lacks full coverage both lenses are a tradeoff between price/performance.

-Rob-

Guest Ian Marks
Since when do wide angles need support as telephoto lenses do? Unless this 5.7mm has a particularly large maximum aperture which would make the lens physically large.

Yes, the Kinoptik is physically large. Here's one in a PL mount.

b94a.jpg

It's not that large or heavy, even for c-mount. I own one in Arri standard to which I've somewhat permanently attached an Aaton adapter. A good "effect" lens for music videos or dream sequences, but forget intercutting it with modern glass.

To be honest for the type of films that I do, or well for the ones that I will be doing this and next year, I will be creating crazy effects and stuff so I'm not really concern if the match or not, I know what's going on in the story and how to tell it so , I think I will be using my canon primes for the " normal" shots and something like the kinoptic, peleng or the angeniuex to add a crazy effect

Thanks fellas

To be honest for the type of films that I do, or well for the ones that I will be doing this and next year, I will be creating crazy effects and stuff so I'm not really concern if the match or not, I know what's going on in the story and how to tell it so , I think I will be using my canon primes for the " normal" shots and something like the kinoptic, peleng or the angeniuex to add a crazy effect

Thanks fellas

NO OTher choices?

will you guys give me more info please of better choices

I just need a wide angle to make thinks work for my kit

thanks

There are not a lot of other choices for $600 but there are a few. I'd give the Peleng a try if you are looking for fisheye, but if you are just looking for a relatively cheap wide-angle cine lens you might want to give the 9mm Kinoptik a try. It's about the same size as the Switar 10mm but will cover Super 16. It's a c-mount lens and is well-made from what I can tell. You might also want to experiment around with something like a Cosmicar 12.5mm lens. These can be found easily on scamBay and are super cheap. It might work for your needs, it might not. You could also look at getting a prime lens from the 35mm SLR still world, something like a Nikon 14 or 15mm, a Tokina or Sigma 14mm, or a Canon 14mm or 17mm. The fact that your camera is equipped with a c-mount opens up quite a few possibilities from the 35mm still world. Not all of these lenses are cheap, and some of them are a bitch to filtrate (use a matte box), but they'll cover Super 16 a lot more pleasingly than any of the aforementioned lenses, which sometimes just barely cover, and they are also nice and sharp. Like most things, however, there are trade-offs. The SLR lenses aren't as fast as true cine lenses, can be just as expensive, and sometimes don't offer an easy method for filtration unless you are using a matte box. Also, 14mm is about as wide as I've seen without it being a fisheye, which is pretty good for a wide-angle lens when shooting Super 16 but not excellent. On the other hand, it is possible. I have a Sigma 14mm lens in Nikon mount that I use from time to time and it's worked really well. Hopefully this will open up some choices for you that don't have the financial bite that comes with buying a Zeiss or Optar Illumina.

thanks Scott I got your message and welll this message clearsd a lot of my doubts

the only thing I need is a wide angle to be able to tell a full tale

right now I have 3 telephotos (50-100-200)

and one normal lens (24)

I think I will keep my eye for the Kinoptik 9mm

so if anybody wants to get rid of theirs.... I Have the money hehehe

thanks

Guest Ian Marks

Ishan, that's the Peleng 8mm that has been discussed in this thread. Long Valley puts this lens in a PL mount, and possibly makes some other modifications to it as well. In its original form it can be mounted on Martin's Eclair via a C-mount adapter (no need to spend the extra $ for the PL conversion). However, I think Martin said his NPR has a PL mount in addition to the C-mount.

If you've got Zeiss Super Speed Distagons, the Aspheron W/A adaptor is great. On the 12mm (giving 6.5mm), there's surprisingly little distortion and much more distortion when on the 9.5mm (5.7mm). Unfortunately, you need 138mm filters

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Hey fellas

Thanks for all the responses

I have to apologize , because I was away shooting in the middle of nowhere and just came back.

ok first:

Ian I have consider the Peleng, and I think it will be a great fun Lens, but if I'm going to spend money I will love to be in something that will be more constant in my shooting kit, you know what I mean?, I love the Idea of a fisheye like that on a pl mount ( Yes I have one. Thanks Ian), but in the other way I think that a 9mm Kinoptik will serve my purposes much better= I want a wide with as little distortion as posible.

AND Brian I might consider that to, thanks everyone, your knowledge will be put to some great use

Best

Guest Ian Marks

I think you'll find the Kinoptik 9mm a good general-purpose wide angle lens. The 5.7mm Kinoptik and 5.9mm Angenieux lenses are more like special purpose lenses that you use to achieve a wide angle "effect," whereas a 9mm or 10mm gives you a wide field without calling attention to itself. I have a 9mm Kinoptik that I have yet to use - it's in an Aaton mount for the Aaton kit I hope to buy some day. One odd thing about the lens is its unusual filter thread - it's 45mm, and I have had no luck finding filters or adapters to fit it. Pro8mm, the U.S. distributor of the A-Cam (which comes with a 9mm Kinoptik as standard equipment) sells a step-up ring for $65, which seems like a ridiculous price for a sliver of metal. In other respects the lens seems very nice, but as I said, I haven't shot with it.