Children of Men - The Cinematography of Emmanuel Lubezki

Jamie Lewis

• Premium Member

Loved children of men, it's what got me interested in Lubezki's work, so after seeing it I decided to check out Y tu Mama Tambien, which was also by Alfonso Cuaron. While each film is on very different ends on the subject matter spectrum, I think I actually enjoy the Lubezki's work in Tambien, better than CoM. The differences between the two seem best summarized in the long car shots each had. CoM was done by an incredibly advanced, technical system, which don't get me wrong I thought was genius and still worked very well for the story. One of the longest car shots in Tambien was shot from the side of the car, and at one point, as both the picture car and camera car had to pass another vehicle, the camera car actually drifts a was away from the picture car, to where you can't really distinguish the actors anymore. I really respect Cuaron and Lubezki for that kind of shot, since I think it takes a lot of guts to be willing to let your camera get so far away from the facial reactions of characters without any sort of coverage.

So yeah, Lubezki's amazing. (Still have to see New world though, which this thread has reminded me I need to do)

I love Chivo's work but lighting may be relative. He is known to use a lot of lights so when he says he is using "natural light" and he is slimming down from what he usually does, perhaps he is still using more than what someone else might call "natural light". But not all scenes in one film are equal. Some can be shot without light to appear natural and others may need lighting to help it look natural. One rule can never really apply. It can be a goal.

Nevertheless, his work is consistantly nothing less than spectacular.

Best

Tim

Edited by timHealy

Guest Tim Partridge

Cuaron/Luebski seem to like Peter Hannan on second unit alot when they shoot in the UK.

Twenty odd years ago Hannan was doing similar work in soft, low light (see Withnail and I) on movies and commercials.

I get the impression that Peter Hannan could have been first choice (he did second unit) for HARRY POTTER 3 after Mr. Lubeski. It would also make sense given that Hannan has a career/stylistic taste as a features/commercials DP not disimilar to Michael Seresin's. Can anyone confirm?

• Premium Member
Loved children of men, it's what got me interested in Lubezki's work, so after seeing it I decided to check out Y tu Mama Tambien, which was also by Alfonso Cuaron. While each film is on very different ends on the subject matter spectrum, I think I actually enjoy the Lubezki's work in Tambien, better than CoM. The differences between the two seem best summarized in the long car shots each had. CoM was done by an incredibly advanced, technical system, which don't get me wrong I thought was genius and still worked very well for the story. One of the longest car shots in Tambien was shot from the side of the car, and at one point, as both the picture car and camera car had to pass another vehicle, the camera car actually drifts a was away from the picture car, to where you can't really distinguish the actors anymore. I really respect Cuaron and Lubezki for that kind of shot, since I think it takes a lot of guts to be willing to let your camera get so far away from the facial reactions of characters without any sort of coverage.

So yeah, Lubezki's amazing. (Still have to see New world though, which this thread has reminded me I need to do)

Yes, definitely high tech car system on Children of Men.

If you haven't already, anybody who wants to see a really cool car rig that allows for 360

degree shots inside a car in Children of Men should check out the extras on the DVD.

• Premium Member
Usually the "no artificial light" rule is not rock-solid. On The New World, Malick wanted only natural light, but they talked him into using lights on the interior scene in the castle in England, for example.

To me, it's silly to get so swept up in the natural light thing that you cannot compromise at all.

Exactly, I agree. The point may be to make everything look like natural light which is great

but I've had a lot of conversations in lighting of 5 footcandles or so and yet to evoke that in a film

I bet that I'll have to do something additional. If I shoot in that same light it indeed will be natural light

but it won't look as natural on screen, not with present technology I would guess, as it does in person.

Days of Heaven (dir. T. Malick) is gorgous and has a lot of natural light looking scenes but Nestor

Almendros still had electric lamps in those "lanterns".

Hmmm, this has given me an idea for a new thread, your favorite examples of uses of natural light.

Exactly, I agree. The point may be to make everything look like natural light which is great

but I've had a lot of conversations in lighting of 5 footcandles or so and yet to evoke that in a film

I bet that I'll have to do something additional. If I shoot in that same light it indeed will be natural light

but it won't look as natural on screen, not with present technology I would guess, as it does in person.

Days of Heaven (dir. T. Malick) is gorgous and has a lot of natural light looking scenes but Nestor

Almendros still had electric lamps in those "lanterns".

Hmmm, this has given me an idea for a new thread, your favorite examples of uses of natural light.

Sounds like a good thread.

COM was a great film.

Finally a futuristic film that didn't go to silly land.....There were so many things that still related to today. That for me was the key in the content.

Take it further but don't exaggerate.

As for Chivo, he did some fantastic work!! Chose the right stock to work with practically no film lighting.

I think it was essential for him to achieve that with some really good post work....

Loved the sparrow head work inside the car!

Yes, definitely high tech car system on Children of Men.

If you haven't already, anybody who wants to see a really cool car rig that allows for 360

degree shots inside a car in Children of Men should check out the extras on the DVD.

I think these guys provided the equipment for the 360: http://www.doggicam.com/

or something like that. I wasn't there so I personally can't be sure.

Best

Tim

Edited by timHealy

Ive seen that interview as well.

They used light, they just kept it as natural as possible, and tried not to clutter the set with cables or grip equipment.

I remeber I seen a picture somewhere of a giant light soarce hanging from a crane in the farm scenes at night. it may have been the asc article.

And they tired to build the lighting into the sets, and alot of the time scenes are just lit with photofloods or worklights which you see on film.

And he used a single film stock 500t 5229 which is a low contrast film stock which allowed him to shoot under extreame conditions.

Just 500T, huh? And he would just use like a Wratten 85 for daylight situations?

Edited by Neal Bryant

• Premium Member
I think these guys provided the equipment for the 360: http://www.doggicam.com/

or something like that. I wasn't there so I personally can't be sure.

Best

Tim

Yes, I remember doggiecam being mentioned. Some of their equipment was used although I'm

not sure exactly what but I believe that the commentary noted that it was modified for this rig.

Cool set-up and great results.

In the above video,

what is Emmanuel holding?

SLR and video camera?

?

post-10922-1185144395_thumb.jpg

Regards

Igor

He is holding a directors view finder. You can mount different lenses on it and walk around and decide what lens to use and which camera position