the fromat wars have ruined my creativity

Niki Mundo

I am not longer interested in color saturation,resolution or ease of editing. I do not care about weight,equipment availability or whether or not I'll be taking seriously or not. I think all this tech talk has ruined filmmaking for me in alot of ways and has cause alot of pain and uncertianity in my past. I'm moving into my professional career and have decided to all this 35mmvshighdefvsbetamax talk has done alot of damage to my artist's soul. I need some healing..

I've decided to go Avante-Gard and leave this mess alone.

I'm going with VHS..

Now, some of you have a problem with VHS as a capture format.You tell me I'm dating a retarded fat girl. Well you're wrong.

It's beautiful

It's beautiful

It's beautiful

It's beautiful

Say it and believe it..

It's beautiful

It's beautiful

It's beautiful

Niki Mundo

• Premium Member

Mate..i shot a film last year that I'm grading right now. We shot a bit on 35mm, Super 16mm....but there was also Mini DV (3 different cameras) Video 8, VHS-C and...mobile phones !

I remember at one point thinking how odd it was to be slating and calling "frame" as i tried to hold this tiny camera phone. Then there was some discussion about the various qualities of these phones and which was better...so you know what..? We shot with two phones at the same time...and I operated BOTH of them....was pretty funny....

They have a pretty unique look when blown to 35mm !

• Premium Member

Hey, odd shooting formats can be fun. I made a short in pixelvision in school and have shot on high-con before (imagine a characteristic curve of a vertical line). All great fun.

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member
Hey, odd shooting formats can be fun. I made a short in pixelvision in school and have shot on high-con before (imagine a characteristic curve of a vertical line). All great fun.

I just used a small Mini-DV camera (a tiny consumer one) for several stunts and snuck the shots into

a project shot with a much superior camera and lens and nobody noticed!

The problem is too many people trying to pose their opinion as fact.

It reminds me of elitists in music. I just hope they don't infect film.

Imagine it, mentioning anything mainstream, and every moron comes down on you saying that it sucks and that you have no taste in film.

It's already ruined music to a degree.

• 3 weeks later...

i agree that resolution doesn't guaranty artistic images :

degas or pissaro has a lot less resolution than bay watch

but i don't agree for color an saturation.

they are tools and you need to tools to achieve your "artistic creation"

you will be surprised on how picasso new everything about "figurative" drawing prior to do what was called "child painting"

even resolution was used as a tool by dop's :

storaro in "kundun" opposed 35 mm for human vision an 70mm for buddah's vision

eric gautier did the same in "diarios motocycleta" cemedy is shot in S16 and landscape in 35mm to enhance the buty of the nature

and so on

To each his own Niki! VHS still has a great gritty reality to it. It's like Super8 to 35mm. In no ways inferior so long as you use it to a great effect and can tell your story effectively.

For me, whenever I see VHS footage, whether it's my own or someone else's footage. There's always a nostalgiac feel to it.

A few weeks ago I trailed through footage from my first video camera, a 1992 JVC Compact-VHS camera, and I was actually quite shocked how good the quality was, and in some respects the quality was actually better than the domestic video cameras I have had since, a Digital 8 camera, and mini-DV camera. However I'm sure if I tried to copy the material then the quality would then be compromised.

So subsequently I can't help slightly agreeing that the constant format and technology updates have been less improvements in quality, than a good way of squeezing money out of the consumer. I'm not terribly happy about this new format war of BlueRay vs HD-DVD either!

However as someone who lives in the UK and can't bare the amount of British TV produced on video - format, particularly film vs video, and even high grade video vs low grade video are important. Now the BBC appears to be slowly converting all its shows to video, be it HD or DigiBeta, it is particularly relevant - why? Because any discernible adults can sense the difference, they may not know what it is but film feels real and feels like quality, video often feels hyper real, documentary or if done badly - cheap.

Friends who know nothing about filmmaking or cinematography often ask why UK shows never look as good as US shows - and the answer is often related to film and video. However when people start discussing the looks of different types of video then it feels a little distracting, as essentially there is often so little difference. In fact a friend who once worked on Dr Who was telling me that he is often asked what format Dr Who is shot on, many people who work in the film industry here believe it to be shot on HD when its actually shot DigiBeta.

Maybe from now on all film-makers should keep knowledge of their film's capture-format top secret: this way our judgement of the cinematography might depend less on our preconceptions about the format and be based on our gut reaction to lighting, framing and story.

We should choose our format according to what works for the script, not what we think will give us the most kudos. I recently did a short film set in the late 1970s, so decided to use Super-8 for a more 70s feel. If it was set in the mid-80s, I might have used VHS ;)