fuji vs kodak

zrszach

• Premium Member
it seems that most the talk on here is about kodak stocks.

but is fuji just as good for the price

Kodak's worthy competitor is discussed quite frequently here. But have you at least tried the latest (VISION2) Kodak stocks? There will soon be five. :)

And Kodak tries to offer more than just what's in the can.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Ha I remember creating this exact same post a while back.

It really is different looks. Personally, I'd go Kodak. (And I'm not just saying that because John is here)

I'm not sure about the technicalities but, how many films have been shot on fuji in comparison to Kodak? Nearly every single film I have watched, bought (downloaded) has been shot in Kodak.

You know John, the bods down at Fuji labs are probably tearing their hair out at the moment viewing these posts :lol:

• Premium Member

Fuji has always had a smaller marketshare for moviemaking; in fact, they don't even have the manufacturing capacity to take over Kodak's marketshare anyway, although they do, of course, want to sell more film than they currently do.

Sometimes Kodak's business practices leave me a little concerned, in regards to their tendency to sometimes go around cinematographers and make deals directly with studios which then affect which negative or print stocks a cinematographer is allowed to choose. A recent example, Kodak bought Laser Pacific in Hollywood and then told some TV shows posting there that they would have to switch from shooting on Fuji to Kodak in order to get better rates for post work. Fuji can't even compete at that level if buying whole post houses is going to be one method of maintaining a monopoly.

Some good-looking movies shot on Fuji over the decades: the period scenes in "Somewhere in Time", "Room with a View", "Das Boot", "Legend" (Ridley Scott), "The Golden Bowl", "Requiem for a Dream", large parts of the recent Jet Li "Legend" as well as other work by DP Chris Doyle ("Fallen Angels" and "Rabbit Proof Fence" for example.)

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was all shot on Fuji F-500D Reala. Ellen Kuras also used F-500T for the last section of "Blow". Eduardo Serra also has shot a lot of Fuji film over the years.

Technically, Kodak stocks are the best in the world. But there are other considerations in image creation that might make Fuji a good choice to create a certain look. I'm just glad we have both -- I only wish Agfa hadn't stopped making movie stock. I shot two features on Agfa and loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

the fact is that kodak is the big fat monster of the market, and they dont open space for smaller companies. the episode david was talking about brings out the words "Rockefeller" and "standard oil" up. i think that monopoly is wrong.

and yet, the vision2 are superb. i can bet that they are going for faster stocks, since the 800 is out.

jon

A kodak rep offered me an early test of their new stock, which will be another 250D. Sorry, John.

I too cherish that we have many different options for film stock. It's becoming harder to create a 'classic' look anymore, though. I'm buying up some of the last 5293 for an upcoming shoot. I never got to futz with '98...

• Premium Member
the fact is that kodak is the big fat monster of the market, and they dont open space for smaller companies. the episode david was talking about brings out the words "Rockefeller" and "standard oil" up. i think that monopoly is wrong.

and yet, the vision2 are superb.

jon

Fuji provides significant competition for all product lines, and Agfa is still very active for motion-picture print film and sound negative films. Modern color film manufacturing is very capital intensive, with support making and emulsion coating machines costing hundreds of millions of dollars, so there aren't many "smaller companies" making motion picture film.

Look elsewhere (e.g., electronic origination and post production) for real market dominance by other companies.