Often overlooked movies with beautiful cinematography?

• Premium Member
And add M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Moerder aka Murderers Among Us.

IMDB lists this picture as aspect ratio 1.20:1 as many early sound films. Does anyone know which cameras where made with/converted to a 1:20 aperture? Or was it hard/soft matted full 35mm aperture?

Cheers, Dave

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I was just wondering was "Perfume"overlooked if it was i would like to include it to this list I watched it on DVD last week and cursed myself that

I didn't catch it on the big screen. I found myself actually gasping at the set design, costumes, and photography just breathtakingly good.

There's one scene when the young man is just about to commit his first murder and he's sniffing the scent of this young girl from behind

which she is slowly becoming aware of, in one shot he is in silhouette so the audience can see how close he is, in the medium frontal shot she is

lit and he is in negative space on the right of the frame just floating in the blackness. Absolutely blew me away!

Kieran.

IMDB lists this picture as aspect ratio 1.20:1 as many early sound films. Does anyone know which cameras where made with/converted to a 1:20 aperture? Or was it hard/soft matted full 35mm aperture?

Cheers, Dave

During the early sound era, the standard practice was (as it remains today) to shoot full silent aperture. After this, they cropped the left side slightly to allow for the soundtrack. This reduced the 1.33 ratio down to 1.19 (sometimes called Movietone format). AMPAS "renormalized" the ratio by standardizing thicker frame lines to be added in lab post processes, which brought about the Academy ratio, 1.37. This was the standard sound-era ratio until the coming of widescreen films in the early 1950s.

Edited by Jon Kukla

I just got the new DVD restoration of David Lean's "Ryan's Daughter," shot by his longtime collaborator Freddie Francis (who won his third academy award for his work on this film). It was shot in 65mm, and although some may feel that the film is overlong (I would disagree, but that is another matter), I think there is no disputing that it is a stunning film. Personally, I think it is the most beautiful non-Technicolor film ever made (I think Tech is in a class of its own). If nothing else, it is another reminder of what we lost when 70mm fell out of favor by the studios. May it someday return!

best,

Brian Rose

• Premium Member
During the early sound era, the standard practice was (as it remains today) to shoot full silent aperture. After this, they cropped the left side slightly to allow for the soundtrack. This reduced the 1.33 ratio down to 1.19 (sometimes called Movietone format).

Yep, that's what I read as well. but the question remains whether the cameras had a full aperture and they matted it in post before applying the optical soundtrack or they modified the cameras are or purpose-built them for 1.19/1.20 sound aperture....

Cheers, Dave

I'd second (or third?) Elephant as well as Gerry and Last Days. I think Gerry is a beautiful and highly overrated film. The narrative, although minimalist, is quite strong and actually has an arc. It's probably my favorite of that trilogy. Harris Savides is pretty amazing.

I'd agree that Elephant is a narrative and would also argue that it has a three act structure, but that the time looping fractures it. As you near the end of the second act it breaks and takes you to a new second act (which creates tension, and sometimes, frustration). Many of Van Sant's choices in the film (and even more so in Last Days) have an intentional distancing effect, but are also often quite powerful. I know he's also spoken of his influences "pre-Giffith" and it's interesting to compare the use of time and long takes in Last Days and Elephant with Porter's 1903 Life of an American Firefighter.

I'd also agree that they are not for everyone and may not always 'work' for every viewer, but the risk involved in Van Sant's recent films is also what's really exciting and interesting to me.

I'm working on a thesis paper based on Van Sant's claim that Last Days was actually about the Industrial Revolution. It's a very dense film and a real study in art direction, cinematography, and minimalist storytelling.

The single system Newsreel cameras, such as the Wall used by Fox Movietone, had 1.2/1 apertures.

They actually were recording the tracks next to the picture.

Judging from all the 30s Universal original negs I had to go through, features used the full aperture.

Which was smaller than the current standard. Maybe only 23.5mm wide.

In the late 30s and the 40s, cameras with academy aretures were showing up.

The cropping for a track is done in the continuous contact printer. The picture aperture and the track aperture cover their designated areas.

So much ignorance of how film is printed is shocking.

Judging from the Screen Gems Tv shows I had to go through, Columbia changed the apertures in it's BNCs to the 2.55/1 CinemaScope aperture, 23.8x18.67mm.

• Premium Member
I just got the new DVD restoration of David Lean's "Ryan's Daughter," shot by his longtime collaborator Freddie Francis (who won his third academy award for his work on this film). It was shot in 65mm, and although some may feel that the film is overlong (I would disagree, but that is another matter), I think there is no disputing that it is a stunning film. Personally, I think it is the most beautiful non-Technicolor film ever made (I think Tech is in a class of its own). If nothing else, it is another reminder of what we lost when 70mm fell out of favor by the studios. May it someday return!

best,

Brian Rose

I think it was Freddie Young who was Lean's long time cameraman, and I'm pretty sure Ryan's Daughter wasn't overlooked, but your right

beautiful photography!

Kieran.

Gattaca, it's so overlooked that I even forget about it myself sometimes even tho it's one of my all time favourite movies! Great Writing, Great direction, magical cinematography. I keep finding things I hadn't noticed before like the flames casting their gold reflection in the medal.

Amazing film.

• Premium Member
Gattaca, it's so overlooked that I even forget about it myself sometimes even tho it's one of my all time favourite movies! Great Writing, Great direction, magical cinematography. I keep finding things I hadn't noticed before like the flames casting their gold reflection in the medal.

Amazing film.

Great movie. But it's not as though Slawomir Idziak is some unknown slouch!

Chris expressed a preference for movies with more "compelling" cinematography (my term) rather than aesthetically beautiful, but a majority of my DVD library is made up of movies with exceptional cinematography combined with exceptionally mediocre movies. <_<

Dominic Sena's Gone in 60 Seconds looks amazing. Sucked.

Maybe I'll check my library and make listing of "bad but good" movies to watch...

Great movie. But it's not as though Slawomir Idziak is some unknown slouch!

Chris expressed a preference for movies with more "compelling" cinematography (my term) rather than aesthetically beautiful, but a majority of my DVD library is made up of movies with exceptional cinematography combined with exceptionally mediocre movies. <_<

Dominic Sena's Gone in 60 Seconds looks amazing. Sucked.

Maybe I'll check my library and make listing of "bad but good" movies to watch...

Yeah but to be fair Chris gives Ladyhawke as an example and I've heard of Vittorio Storaro somewhe too I think? ;)

I wouldn't have posted about it (I only mentioned Mario Bava at first) but then people were mentioning some of the most famous Weimer Repubkic movies and films shot by Chris Doyle, (not really very overlooked) so I thought what the hell, and for some reason this film is often sort of overlooked. It's one of my favourite films. I own a DVD of it and yet it slips my mind from time to time. It was only the other day that I realised the writer/director had shot another movie "Lord of War" which I've not seen and really, really want to now.

Actually I should add films by Dreyer maybe, like "the passion of Joan of Arc" which doesn't seem all that overlooked but is really hard to track down, so maybe it is!

Michael, your collection of crap movies with great cinematography sounds really facinating. Please do make a list!

love

Freya

"I think it was Freddie Young who was Lean's long time cameraman, and I'm pretty sure Ryan's Daughter wasn't overlooked, but your right beautiful photography!"

Thanks! Dang, I'm always getting the two names flipped, especially since they were both British and both won Academy Awards (though Young has three to Francis' two). I'm still kicking myself though. I should know the difference between the two. We'll just say I was testing everyone, to see if they'd spot the mistake. Yeah, that's right, I meant to do it! :)

As to overlooked, I think that is debatable. It was not overlooked by the Academy, receiving several noms, and winning two, for cinematography, and John Mills supporting role as Michael. But in other ways is surely has. It did poorly at the box office, and has been credited with ending the era of large format Hollywood pictures. Critics dismissed it upon its release, largely because they regarded it as out of step with the gritty style of the New Hollywood. David Lean did not make another film for fourteen years after, largely because of the experience. Since then, few have bothered to look at it, instead accepting critical opinions that it is a lesser work, far behind Lawrence of Arabia, or Brief Encounter, or any number of Lean's films. The recent DVD release is the first time the film has ever been released on that format, and it is the first time since the original theatrical release in 1970 that it can be viewed in its entirety, with Overture, Intermission, Entr'e Acte and Exit Music. It was (and is) a film regarded to be a fiasco in its day (much like Tati's "Playtime"), but one that I believe to be a masterpiece, one of Lean's absolute best.

Best,

Brian Rose

"Overlord" -- poetic WW II film directed by Stuart Cooper, from the mid 70's. GREAT B&W work from John Alcott (including very interesting matching of period footage --- & no DI here !)

Watched that a couple of times over the weekend. The archive footage is the most compelling part.

Duped directly from the nitrate originals in the Imperial War Museum.

Live footage shot with uncoated 1936 &1938 Schneiders. A couple of zooms slipped in. One too subtle to be easily noticed. Uncoated primes seem to match older zooms well.

Will add 'Ofelas/ Pathfinder'. 65mm filmed in Lappland. Seriously overloked.

• Premium Member

I watched another couple in my collection I thought I would add, for those who are watching.

Highlander 2- Its an awful, cheesy movie but I think it looks great. They really pull off the oppressive feel of a world without sunlight. Very dark and brooding with some really beautiful bits such as the boardroom in the shield corporation's headquarters.

Dark City- Quite similar in look to Highlander 2 but a better, more compelling movie. Very dark. Very brooding. All artificial sources since there is no sun. My favorite is the opening scene where there is an empty room with a single lightbulb swinging on a cord. It's really simple and compelling in that it makes you ask questions and get into the story.

• Premium Member
Dark City- Quite similar in look to Highlander 2 but a better, more compelling movie. Very dark. Very brooding. All artificial sources since there is no sun. My favorite is the opening scene where there is an empty room with a single lightbulb swinging on a cord. It's really simple and compelling in that it makes you ask questions and get into the story.

Yep second that one. It's well written and directed as well. The acting is pretty good too and I like the utopian/sci-fi 40s production design as well.

One more entry, it's not that unknown here in Europe but it might well be in the US. A great film, all in all.

Orphée, 1950, by Jean Cocteau

Cheers, Dave

I certainly like 'Dark City', but I consider it an ultimate Outer Limits episode. Many of the ideas in the script come from Outer Limits episodes. Many of the episodes in the series are SF Noir, particularly the Gerd Oswald/ Conrad Hall episodes.

You might as well ad the boxed setsof OL. Forget the new color series, stick to the dupont B/W series.

Also 'Spirits of the Dead', three EAPoe stories directed by Roger Vadim, Louis Malle & Fellini.

Vadim episode is silliest with Jane fonda running around castle in outfits left over from "Barbarella'.

Malle episode is okay. BBardot in it.

Fellini episode, "Toby Dammit", totally sublime. Terence Stamp goes to rome to star in "first Catholic Western". Visually stunning in a hallucinatory sort of way.