RED ONE footage

Emanuel A Guedes

On reduser.net you can get a few footage samples from the 1st 1-25 cameras already delivered to the first early adopters.

In accordance with the Jim Jannard information, the 26-50 will be delivered today (Friday the 7th).

The 51-100 production units will be delivered from Sept. 22-25th.

Here's a shot from Auckland (city), New Zealand:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2ce0609...bf74bc4166f0202*

[credits]

DOP's Renaud Maire and Andrew Stroud

cityoriginal800x400vc3.jpg

original**

citycc5c800x400sm3.jpg

CC/grading** (from my own)

* 4K TIFFs

** JPEG downrez from 720p

Edited by Emanuel A Guedes

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Its interesting how little people, besides fans, seem to care about red footage now that its out. Maybe it was more fun to argue about what was possible within the given price range than what was possible in the end.

When I see all these clips and stills all I personally think is... Ok, so its another tool. Big deal.

That seriously is all I feel about it, and I could buy one if I wanted to.

Im curious about why you guys put your red reservation numbers and lens numbers on your posts?

Im also curious when the first red camera fan will sell their cam on ebay after it doesnt make them a famous movie maker. I bet you could get close to double your price from another fan if you act fast enough. Or maybe wait till one of the fan kings (and kings of trendy filmmaking styles like Soderberg) make a movie with one.

As far as I can tell, with the exception of one line your reply has almost nothing to do with the subject of this thread. If you want to bash Redusers, maybe you should start a separate thread rather than derailing this one?

As far as the footage goes, I think it's the best independently shot footage available so far from the camera, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from this crew.

Edited by Michael Zasadzinski

• Premium Member

I'm bashing someone? No, just bringing up interesting points that others think about but don't say. I think that has some value to it. If it derails the thread its because you are letting it. Obviously no one cared about the post so my reply will at least help it get seen now. ;)

The still isn't overly impressive to me and looks like a decent DSLR pic so I guess I'm missing the point in the first place. If you want to post something, shoot a short movie/test, "correct it", downrez it and post the moving images via a .mov file or whatever. Yes it will degrade the quality severely but other things will be seen and is more valuable than endless stills alone.

As far as I can tell, with the exception of one line your reply has almost nothing to do with the subject of this thread. If you want to bash Redusers, maybe you should start a separate thread rather than derailing this one?

As far as the footage goes, I think it's the best independently shot footage available so far from the camera, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from this crew.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I have seen PJ's Crossing the Line trailer on HD & the film projected @ 4k, unbelievably good.

Congratulations to Jim & the Red team, you have IMO delivered what you have promised.

Disclaimer I am not being paid for the above opinion & I don't have a camera on order either.

Stephen

Not all moviemakers are doing movies in order to be famous. But it can happen. Both ways. Moviemakers doing movies in order to be famous ones. Moviemakers without this first goal going famous anyway. :-)

Not all RED early adopters are putting their own RED reservation numbers on their own posts. But it can happen. Both ways. RED early adopters putting their own RED reservation numbers on their own posts. RED early adopters without putting their own RED reservation numbers on their own posts, seeming to others anyway 'cause they're putting their own RED reservation numbers on their own signature. ;)

Wow another Digital image.

The only finished work I've seen from Red One is the Crossing The Line trailer. It looks like a cartoon! There are a couple pics at Reduser that look like CG or hyper reality. I guess some people like that CG look?

I would like to see some footage that looks better than film. 4k just looks fake to me. I thought red was going to replace Film?

Looks awesome to me too.

I can't wait for more rental houses to get hold of this camera in the U.K.

And perhaps the reason why it hasn't fully taken off yet is because there have only been about 25 made??

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Disclamer succeeding my friend Stephen's example (thanks): Any post doesn't need to be "overly impressive". A post is a post. It's not a still nor a short clip either. The same for the still or the short clip. They're not a post. But any of them can be a hint. Including for short clips. It depends on each one. Looking for or not. After all, a post is just a post. I'm used to when I want to shoot a short, going to where I may be paid for it. Movie theatre, TV station, pay per view or not, DVD and when it will happen, being paid for a download. After all, seems consensual whether it likes or not, RED ONE is a digital cinema camera for professionals not only for amateurs. Same for the RED glass.

Hi,

I have seen PJ's Crossing the Line trailer on HD & the film projected @ 4k, unbelievably good.

Congratulations to Jim & the Red team, you have IMO delivered what you have promised.

Disclaimer I am not being paid for the above opinion & I don't have a camera on order either.

Stephen

No, but you are being held in an underground dungeon full of creepy snakes and spiders, some where under the Red head office :D

Glad you like the footage.

R,

• Premium Member

Ok guys, I'm sorry. Let me respond like I'm suppose to ...and I promise, I'll quickly get rid of the Prod so I can join too.

WOW! There is just so much information in the RED footage that it is never a bad shot. The need for good makeup artist just went through the roof. Now THIS is my favourite! Man, when I thought it couldn't get any better. I had to change my underwear. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for posting these. Holy crap... That's awesome! Now that's BETTER than film! Great job champs. There is absolutely NO NOISE in the picture. It is so incredibly clean! Holy crap! I even had to change my socks! This next year is going to be amazing! I can't wait to begin rolling with this sucker! it seems that you can not messup a shoot save for bad focus and under\over exposure [iris], dirt on lens etc -Am i reading this correctly? If the image is properly lit\exposed red's software can develop it to wonderful results? "The force is strong with this one..."

IN RED I TRUST

RED ONE (and only one) # 00000001

RED LENS (covers everything and is better than any cinema lens... or maybe Ill just use a $300 Nikon and show them!) # 00000002

RED Scriptwriter (makes me somebody) # 0000003

RED EgoStroker with KungFu Grip # 000069

Ok guys, I'm sorry. Let me respond like I'm suppose to ...and I promise, I'll quickly get rid of the Prod so I can join too.

WOW! There is just so much information in the RED footage that it is never a bad shot. The need for good makeup artist just went through the roof. Now THIS is my favourite! Man, when I thought it couldn't get any better. I had to change my underwear. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for posting these. Holy crap... That's awesome! Now that's BETTER than film! Great job champs. There is absolutely NO NOISE in the picture. It is so incredibly clean! Holy crap! I even had to change my socks! This next year is going to be amazing! I can't wait to begin rolling with this sucker! it seems that you can not messup a shoot save for bad focus and under\over exposure [iris], dirt on lens etc -Am i reading this correctly? If the image is properly lit\exposed red's software can develop it to wonderful results? "The force is strong with this one..."

IN RED I TRUST

RED ONE (and only one) # 00000001

RED LENS (covers everything and is better than any cinema lens... or maybe Ill just use a $300 Nikon and show them!) # 00000002

RED Scriptwriter (makes me somebody) # 0000003

RED EgoStroker with KungFu Grip # 000069

YES! :lol:

I think we need to look at peoples comments like these in the right context. In comparison to an HVX200, the Red is pretty great! I think that's where most of these comments are coming from, although there are some people who have apparently shot with film, too, and still think the Red is the second coming, and is going to take filmmaking to the "next" level. (Whatever THAT is!)

I really can't understand the "that's better then film" comments I'm seeing on reduser. Do they mean less grain? Because, yes, that is the case. But what about everything else that makes good image quality?

Someone earlier said it looks like cg, or hyper reality, and they assume some people must like that look. I agree with that. It looks? weird!

But just to make sure I don't piss anyone off here, I will say that this camera is much cheaper then the Genesis, or the highend Sony's, and the quality is just as good. That's the revolution.

I just happen to prefer film. Even though I've only shot 16mm so far! :P

Jay

• Premium Member
I just happen to prefer film. Even though I've only shot 16mm so far! :P

Jay

Hey, I don't blame you there. The initial price of the RED was $17,500 and I just checked Spectra's website and for that much money, I could shoot, process, and RANK telecine 22,000 ft. of 16mm film. There is just no contest as to which I would rather do. I would love to have that much celluloid just chilling in my fridge. The RED image is nice, I wont lie. But it does look strange to me as well and it's not the kind of image that tells the story visually the way that I would want it told. For those whom it works for, more power to you. For me, I have to have a certain look and atmosphere that only film can do, and small gauge tends to be better for my stories.

Guys. Like you say. It's just another tool.

If you don't like the Red camera, then go back to the 35mm or 16mm threads.

I'm really interested in it. As it is incredibly difficult for someone like me to obtain the opportunity to shoot film. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to experience film, but I just can't for financial reasons.

So what if the Red camera is better than film. Big deal. The fact is it produces awesome quality images. Quality I've never touched.

And now I might just be able to afford that kind of quality.

And, Matthew, not trying to start an argument here but for that money, you could shoot a one off 16mm film. But with the Red camera you would be able to shoot, what most people would agree on, better quality images, over and over again.

However. Who said anything about buying?

Rental cost of the Red + acc's would be WELL below the 16mm belt.

• Premium Member
And, Matthew, not trying to start an argument here but for that money, you could shoot a one off 16mm film. But with the Red camera you would be able to shoot, what most people would agree on, better quality images, over and over again.

What is better really? Do you honestly think that RED is a superior camera for any possible project? Is ANY format good for ALL projects? I think to say so would be naive and immature. Also, the cost of the RED camera is not going to be enough to carry a project from origination to destination. Im not too informed on the various things RED uses, but isnt there the REDflash or whatever to hold your footage, and the REDcine, etc. Whereas the previous example I gave of the footage is everything you need to go from film to your editing suite. Just so I wouldnt offend anyone, I used my own preference as an example. If opinions are not welcome, why have a thread asking people's take on the screen grab? That's absolutely absurd and it's the attitude of the RED fanboys that really turns me off of the whole thing more so than the camera itself.

What is better really? Do you honestly think that RED is a superior camera for any possible project?

Certainly better for me. As I'd be stuck with 8mm or DV otherwise.

If the Red camera wasn't 4k all of you film users wouldn't even 'consider' it being the better format.

Film users just want the best of both worlds. First it was all about resolution, sharpness etc. And now that those things have been at least matched, your argument has mysteriously changed.

Is ANY format good for ALL projects? I think to say so would be naive and immature. Also, the cost of the RED camera is not going to be enough to carry a project from origination to destination. Im not too informed on the various things RED uses, but isnt there the REDflash or whatever to hold your footage, and the REDcine, etc. Whereas the previous example I gave of the footage is everything you need to go from film to your editing suite. Just so I wouldnt offend anyone, I used my own preference as an example.

But see what turns me off about using film is the whole 'Film's better. End of. Goodbye.' attitude.

This camera may have just matched and even superseded film in ways, and look how you guys are reacting. You all sound like jealous kids who are picking on the new kid because he's got something you haven't.

If opinions are not welcome, why have a thread asking people's take on the screen grab? That's absolutely absurd and it's the attitude of the RED fanboys that really turns me off of the whole thing more so than the camera itself.

Because they are not opinions. All I've seen here is Red bashing.

The only opinions on the actual still there have been are good ones.

Good God---- WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Adam- WHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Lets talk about the image!!!!! Not Bash and make fun of Redusers!!!!!!!!! Jesus guys....... I really do come here for the entertainment. Its just unbelievable that guys like ADAM can de-rail these threads. WE ARE GIVING YOU WHAT YOU GUYS WANTED!!!! PICS AND SOON VIDEO FROM THE CAMERA SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY THE INSULTS?

You freak'n guys argued that the camera was vaporware (or whatever you called it) - You said they could not build it, you said they could not make it in time for NAB, etc...etc...etc..... Every thread gets closed because the camera is not out and everyone is guessing and fighting. You guys said the first 25 cameras would probably not come out for a couple more months... . It is out.. And finally, we are getting images from some DPs, and even some amature shooters..... Now you want to still bash the Reduser?????...

Why do you care about us reservation holders posting up our reservation slot number? Honestly.... Please everyone- stop this poop!!!!!! Lets talk about the images, or video clips when they are posted. Stop bashing an excited reduser.

I swear to you guys - I will do nothing but sit here and return fire and bash you guys back if this continues- then the thread will close. AND WHY? WE ARE HERE TO TALK ABOUT THE IMAGES AND THE CAMERA.... NOT THE DAMN GUYS SHOOTING IT OR THE GUYS SUPPORTING RED.

Answer me this: Does this forum really suck this bad? Will it change, or continue to be a joke and nothing but a place to come here and be entertained.

I was really excited to see some footage come back from some of the redusers because I thought that we could now get down to business and talk about the camera and the type of images it produces. BUT MY GOD- YOU HAVE IDIOTS LIKE ADAM, CARL, AND WERNER RUNNING AROUND ACTING LIKE A..HOLES. Lets talk about the camera. Not the people using it. Stop the insults.

Everyone calm down. Any real DP is going to choose the best camera for the job. Period. Red provides a rather amazing image at any price point. High five, Red. In many ways, however, film has the advantage. High five, film. By having another tool, everyone wins. Personally, I have not been as impressed by the images I have seen, but I think that has been a function of the photography, not the camera. I can't wait to see a DP make that camera sing. Soon there will be thousands of REDs and we will all be able to gauge and compare them. Until then I will be trotting around with my SR.

Everyone calm down. Any real DP is going to choose the best camera for the job. Period. Red provides a rather amazing image at any price point. High five, Red. In many ways, however, film has the advantage. High five, film. By having another tool, everyone wins. Personally, I have not been as impressed by the images I have seen, but I think that has been a function of the photography, not the camera. I can't wait to see a DP make that camera sing. Soon there will be thousands of REDs and we will all be able to gauge and compare them. Until then I will be trotting around with my SR.

Agreed.

So what if the Red camera is better than film. Big deal.

I think the reason people get upset reading something like this is because it sounds like you (or really anyone that says something similar) are stating that as fact. And the guys that say the opposite state their opinions as fact. We all have different eyes, and different criteria for what makes a quality, versatile, image format.

What I like about Red is the price, and possibly the workflow. Haven't read much about the workflow yet, though.

As far as image quality is concerned, the most obvious benefit of the Red is lack of grain. Of course, some of us don't mind grain. In fact, I can't remember anytime a movie has been ruined for me due to grain! :P

But with the Red camera you would be able to shoot, what most people would agree on, better quality images, over and over again.

Better quality images? I'm not so sure about that one! Higher resolution images? Definitely!

If the Red camera wasn't 4k all of you film users wouldn't even 'consider' it being the better format.

Everyone's putting such emphasis on resolution, and lack of grain! 16mm isn't 4k, but so far from what I've seen, I personally prefer it. I'm sure other people feel that way, too. Apparently, a lot of people agree with you as well! So for those whose utmost concern is resolution, they have a great option now!

I should mention that when analyzing the 4k tiff's that have been uploaded, I feel like the sharpness is suffering somehow. From the discussion's I've read, it seems it has to do with the way bayer chips work. In reality, the chip's probably closer to 3.4k or something like that. But even so, still higher resolution then 16mm!

But see what turns me off about using film is the whole 'Film's better. End of. Goodbye.' attitude.

But don't you see? It's the same attitude towards film from the Red enthusiasts. "Film is dead! Game over!" Why can't they both coexist peacefully!?

This camera may have just matched and even superseded film in ways, and look how you guys are reacting. You all sound like jealous kids who are picking on the new kid because he's got something you haven't.

It's the same reaction when the film guys claim Red isn't up to par.

If we had some more footage, we could be analyzing it better, instead of arguing with each other! Where is all the footage!?

Jay