Vision II Negative Super-8 Processing, who is currently doing it?

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

I'm not sure anymore who is processing negative Super-8 film, who co-opts with other labs, etc...

Anyone want to take a stab. Also does turnaround time matter as to who is doing the processing?

The Vision 200T and 500T are really amazing stocks that open Super-8 filmmaking to those who can't afford full on lighting set-ups.

• Site Sponsor
I'm not sure anymore who is processing negative Super-8 film, who co-opts with other labs, etc...

Anyone want to take a stab. Also does turnaround time matter as to who is doing the processing?

The Vision 200T and 500T are really amazing stocks that open Super-8 filmmaking to those who can't afford full on lighting set-ups.

Labs I would send my ECN super8 to:

Cinelab (I work there and co own but we do excellent ecn super8 process and transfer)

Spectra in LA (top quality reputation for Process and transfer)

Forde in Wa. (Excellent processing I do not know about transfer)

Other guys do it, Pro8 and yale come to mind but I think you will get the best results and the most personal attention at the three above, in the US that is.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

In London and the United Kingdom:

Todd-AO in London's Camden Town.

The only lab in the UK that is developing Super 8 Vision2 negative film in-house. They are dedicated to the format, take it serious and have theatre- or broadcast standards. They claim a 24h turnaround, and with Royal Mail posting or delivery and all, it takes 48hours on average.

They also offer excellent telecine on Rank gear, and particularly their color-grading is the best available when it comes to a company serving the Super 8 format.

Widescreen Centre off London's Baker Street

The elderly owners of this shop are phantastic people, and it's the easiest way to buy a Super 8 cartridge or Super 8 equipment on the go. All things film are handled by Jake Astbury, a respected filmshooter and consultant.

They send the exposed cartridges off to Andec in Berlin, Germany - they are one of the many cooperative partners Andec has across many European countries.

Andec (like Todd-AO), is IMHO the only other professional lab in Europe you can trust pretty much blindly when it comes to Super 8 being respectfully treated on well-maintained and professional machinery.

If you are located in Germany or Switzerland, turnaround is pretty fast, within one week (development day is Thursday). They also uniquely offer S8-S8 contact prints and have a most excellent B&W service which stood tall when no lab in Germany other than ARRI and Geyer wanted to touch Black & White, let alone Super 8.

From the UK via Widescreen Centre, turnaround will take at least one week, if not 10 days.

Telecine is done at the Widescreen Centre, however, using Flashscan 8 machines. Obviously, that can't compete with Todd-AO's Ursa, but then again, they do it for less high prices!

From what I hear and have read in this very forum a year ago, color-grading is not the most inspired and is sometimes not that sophisticated to please demanding customers. Maybe that is because their consumer- & broadcast-clients seem to prefer the "corny nostalgic look" to their footage. I havn't used them, so I don't want to imply anything.

In total:

Both Todd-AO and Widescreen Centre offer a service suited to their distinct market segments, with Todd-AO having excellent all-in-house service and gear, and Widescreen Centre having an excellent cooperation with Andec in Berlin for development as well as a reasonably-priced Telecine.

Yes, I can't afford a full light set. Are you referring to the greater lattuide of negative stock? Meaning I can be a little underexposed and the film may still turn out and not to too dark?

• Premium Member
Yes, I can't afford a full light set. Are you referring to the greater lattuide of negative stock? Meaning I can be a little underexposed and the film may still turn out and not to too dark?

Reversal film stocks are usually 100 ASA or under, so even in the same lighting conditions as before, you would gain between 1 to 2.5 f-stops of sensitivity automatically. I don't think the Tri-X Black & White comes close to what either Negative stock can do either.

So if all you could do was safely bounce a 500, 750 or 1000W light off of the ceiling in a medium sized room you instantly will have enough light to actually expose the image properly.

tri-x and plus-x crossprocessed as a neg can yield great results if you're looking for some more latitude.

Niagara custom lab will crossprocess reversal as neg... that includes the new ektachrome- some grainy crazy results...

oh and another option for telecine: www.framediscreet.com (neg/reversal/super 8/ super16)..