Blood River

Thanks so much for this post. Just shows how much I still need to learn especially with shooting digital. SOme of the terms(knee, detail, etc) I still need to look up. I won't bother asking you what those are.

My question, actually is very simple. You said shooting exteriors you use bounce boards and white sheets. Is there a difference in quality between the bounce boards(Foam core?) and the white sheets?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matthew, the Knee is the upper part of the 'characteristic curve' of Video (with film, it's called the Shoulder) The way that the Knee curves defines how suddenly whites clip into peak white. Traditionally, with video the curve is more of a hard angle, hence the nasty look of hot highlights, whereas with film the curve slopes much more gently into overexposure, giving film its' much valued smooth highlights.

I'm sure others can give you a far more technical explanation then I can.

Nor, there is no difference in the quality of light bounced off sheets or foamcore, but sheets are useful in that you can cover large area of ground and have actors walk over them, or they can be quickly folded up and fitted into spaces (like cars) where foamcore would be inconvenient.

Matthew, the Knee is the upper part of the 'characteristic curve' of Video (with film, it's called the Shoulder) The way that the Knee curves defines how suddenly whites clip into peak white. Traditionally, with video the curve is more of a hard angle, hence the nasty look of hot highlights, whereas with film the curve slopes much more gently into overexposure, giving film its' much valued smooth highlights.

I'm sure others can give you a far more technical explanation then I can.

Nor, there is no difference in the quality of light bounced off sheets or foamcore, but sheets are useful in that you can cover large area of ground and have actors walk over them, or they can be quickly folded up and fitted into spaces (like cars) where foamcore would be inconvenient.

Thank you Stuart. That's a perfect explanation for me, not too technical, but still informative.

So, by increasing the latitude of the camera's knee you are softening the curve to a more film-like level. Ah! I get it now. Thanks a lot.

Boy if I had control over that I wouldn't have to underexpose my video so much, but I do like that low key look.

You are absolutely right! It never crossed my mind to have actors walk over the bounce instead of following them around with reflectors. And the CONVENIENCE!! I'm going to buy tons of white sheets!! HAhaha

• Premium Member
You are absolutely right! It never crossed my mind to have actors walk over the bounce instead of following them around with reflectors. And the CONVENIENCE!! I'm going to buy tons of white sheets!! HAhaha

They're nice to have around for shooting car scenes where you don't have a process trailer. You can cut and tape the sheet around in the car to help fill in.

I lowered the Saturation level because I feel that video always has an unnatural level of color, to my eye at least. I did it in camera to make sure it was done, rather than rely on the vagaries of post production, where too many other people have a say.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
Blood River just won The Gold Kahuna Award, Special Jury Prize, Audience Award and Best Actor Award at the Honolulu International Film Festival.

It's playing next at the Boston Underground Film Fest on Sat 21st March , at 7.45pm

Cool! I heard through the facebook grapevine that it was starting to be seen by people. Not long ago I was wondering what ever happened to BR.