Loading 100' Dalight into SRII

Peter Anderson

Ive been trawling the forums for info on loading dalight spools into Super16 cameras - Is it as simple as removing the small spool in the arriflex mag and dropping in the metal 100' spool? Afterwards can i then just feed the protective leader through or does it need tearing off?

I have never loaded a 100' spool and am mostly speculating as to what to expect.

There's no separate leader. The paper band just keeps the film tight on the spool before loading. Take it off. It's not attached to the film.

The spool should go onto the spindles after you remove the collapsible cores, but remember you'll need a takeup spool if you want to unload in daylight. If you takeup onto the collapsible core, don't sent it to the lab by accident. Replace it with a 2" core. However, IIRC, 100' on a core won't fit into a 100'can, so you'll need to put the film in a lightproof bag (the sort which comes with film on a core) and then pack it in a 200' or 400' can. The mag may run noisier with all the scraping from the daylight spools, though.

• Premium Member

I've sent in film coreless on occasion and not heard any grief about it. Just write it on the can so they know, is my advice.

Also, you can slip on a 2in core pretty easily, it's a bit or practice though to get it done right. I was doing it with 400' loads but I'm sure a 100' would also be fine. A little unraveling can be ok.

• Premium Member
Ive been trawling the forums for info on loading dalight spools into Super16 cameras - Is it as simple as removing the small spool in the arriflex mag and dropping in the metal 100' spool? Afterwards can i then just feed the protective leader through or does it need tearing off?

I have never loaded a 100' spool and am mostly speculating as to what to expect.

You can see the loading procedure for daylight spools in an Arriflex 16SRII in the camera's Instruction Manual that you can view and download in PDF form here:

Arriflex 16SRII Instruction Manual

It's a 7MB manual, so give it a minute to load.

Best,

-Tim

I would also make sure you have some spare 400' cans, if I remember correctly once the 100' of film has been wound up on the Arri core it won't necessarily fit back in a conventional 100' can or box.

I remember this when we tried to put a couple of 100' from an SR11 back in Fuji cans, it was a real squeeze but it did fit in eventually. Better not take the chance though.

Just a quick thanks to everyone would helped me out with this post. Loaded and unloaded my first 100' daylight spool into an SR2 without a hitch because of all the great replies. Im in pre-production DoPing my frist 16mm shoot and these forums have been invaluable.

Cheers!

Prokopi

Just a quick thanks to everyone would helped me out with this post. Loaded and unloaded my first 100' daylight spool into an SR2 without a hitch because of all the great replies. Im in pre-production DoPing my frist 16mm shoot and these forums have been invaluable.

Cheers!

Prokopi