Cinematography Mailing List CML problems

Bob Hayes

This probably will get kicked out because I don?t think we are supposed to talk about other lists here. It has been impossible for me to use the cinematography mailing list site. I have to put my password in every time I try to access anything. I have to subscribe to every separate list for example lighting is one list and grip is another. When I try to subscribe it says I am subscribed and won?t let me subscribe. But I can?t enter it because it says I must subscribe. I have been trying for the last 20 hours just to enter a forum and can not. Am I missing something?

• Premium Member

Geoff Boyle is pretty busy with a shoot in Thailand right now (six cameras, 14 hour days, etc.). Go ahead and email him but don't expect a quick answer.

I'm not an admin here (or over there for that matter) but I've never seen any overt rules about posting on cml over here.

One very large difference between the two Forums is that except for cml-basics, cml is intended to be for communications between working professionals only, whereas here there is a mix of newbies, students, advanced amateurs, and working pros. For instance you'll see David Mullen posting over there but it's in peer-to-peer threads about different film emulsions, gear questions, etc. Over here you see him very graciously helping everyone, newbies and pros alike, and posting "On Location" blogs about his current project.

If one of the Cinematography.com admins is reading this, please let us know if there is a formal rule about cml related posting here. Personally I'll abide by whatever the policy is.

• Premium Member
This probably will get kicked out because I don?t think we are supposed to talk about other lists here. It has been impossible for me to use the cinematography mailing list site. I have to put my password in every time I try to access anything. I have to subscribe to every separate list for example lighting is one list and grip is another. When I try to subscribe it says I am subscribed and won?t let me subscribe. But I can?t enter it because it says I must subscribe. I have been trying for the last 20 hours just to enter a forum and can not. Am I missing something?

Hi Bob,

I had the same problem 2 years ago, contact Jessica Gallant tuesady234(at)adelphia(dot)net

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Bob,

I had the same problem 2 years ago, contact Jessica Gallant tuesady234(at)adelphia(dot)net

Stephen

I thought she had stopped moderating there...but I'm sure she could probably help anyway.

There aren't any rules against posting about CML or any other forum or list here. People mention CML here all the time, so no worries.

• Premium Member
There aren't any rules against posting about CML or any other forum or list here. People mention CML here all the time, so no worries.

"You may not advertise or promote other companies or their programs which may compete with Cinematography.com. " I've always felt that to be a bit of gray area.

Personally, (and this is my personal opinion, not an "official position" as a moderator), I think we should be able to acknowledge and reference when there is helpful information available on other discussion boards. I don't see the harm in that.

George Hupka was very helpful and manually subscribed me into the list I wanted. I suspect some spam filter maybe preventing my subscribing. I haven't had that problem with other sites.

• Premium Member
I thought she had stopped moderating there...but I'm sure she could probably help anyway.

Hi Brad,

Jessica is signing her posts West Coast Systems Administrator, Cinematography Mailing List

Stephen

• Premium Member
This probably will get kicked out because I don?t think we are supposed to talk about other lists here.

Hi Bob.

I saw your post so you must have worked something out.

I don't think there are any rules about discussing another list here, but you aren't allowed to re-publish a post *from* CML anywhere else.

jb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
George Hupka was very helpful and manually subscribed me into the list I wanted. I suspect some spam filter maybe preventing my subscribing. I haven't had that problem with other sites.

Hi Bob,

Just saw this note, sorry for the lateness of my reply. I'm also a CML listmum - I'm glad George sorted you out. I find both lists (CML & .com) very valuable. CML tends to have more 'old hands' but isn't as user friendly as .com.

Both lists are tremendous in their free exchange of knowledge and experience.

cheers,