i am about to shoot my diploma film

as a student film, there is no money, nor any stock for testing

the film deals with a small child past and his present where is a 24 year old

the film intercuts between the past and the present

the director wants the past to look grainer than the present

as such i selected to shoot the past with Kodak vision 3 500T

and the present to be shot using kodak Vision 2 200T

The past should also have a little brownish tint to it

please suggest me what to do for the past..

i was thinking of shooting the past and exposing it one stop under and later on push process it by one stop

for the brownish tint i was wondering if i could achieve it during the table correction before the print? the color palette should be like the one seen in Lock Stock

thanks

• Premium Member

Push processing 7219 doesn't really bring noticable grain. I'd recommend at least pushing it two stops if you really want to see a lot of grain, or shooting 7218, which is grainier than 7219.

Forget 5219. It was created to be less grainy. Shoot on 5229. It is ALOT more grainier than 5219.Pushing 5229 one stop will add more grain.

I shot 2 short films on 5229 and it was just the right amount of grain that I needed. If you can get

a tobacco camera filter, that will help add the brown you speak of. Shoot filter with a 35mm slr or digital camera to see results that wil be somewhat close to how the filter wil color the scene.

You don't even have to push... just underexpose.

I was just about to say that. Push processing 35 will give you a bit more grain, but probably not as much as underexposing and printing up will. Part of the reason to push process is to render the best image from an underexposed negative, with minimal grain. If you print UP you'll be revealing the underexposed portions of the negative, and you'll get the grain you're looking for.

I'd love to do that though, shooting at 2000 ASA would be fun ;)

Try shooting some 35mm still photography as a test, underexpose then have it pushed, and see what you come up with. It's not MP film, but it'll give you an idea.

• Premium Member
I'd love to do that though, shooting at 2000 ASA would be fun ;)

I shot some stuff at 12,800 ASA a few years ago. It WAS fun, and in my opinion, yielded a very romantic look. I'd like to try it in color sometime, although I doubt I'll like it as much.

Here's an examle:

post-239-1234419296.jpg

nope 35mm

Yip, I get that - I'm just saying you might want to consider 16mm - it would give you the grain you want and retain the gamma/contrast etc... of shooting/processing the same in 35mm to play with as you desire and not be stuck with the other perhaps unwanted characteristics of underexposure/overdevelopment - basically its the best way to set all things (but grain) equal.

If your workflow/final product permits another way would be to simply crop in transfer and/or post, youd have to mask the finder correctly when shooting... but you can keep using your 35mm set up (lenses will have different coverage however).

hello

i am about to shoot my diploma film

as a student film, there is no money, nor any stock for testing

Why not any stock for testing? Most all labs, and I know that is a big statement, will give you stock and test it for free if not very inexpensively. This is usually the case, so why not ask around. If the lab you are using won't do this, then look for another lab. Times are tough for everyone, the labs want your business, comping you 100 or even 200 feet of film is nothing to them. It is too bad they will only give you the 5219. Beg them if they have any 29 or 18 or even 79 available. 5219 is by no means a grainy stock. By the way, you shots you posted did not look that grainy either.

Why not any stock for testing? Most all labs, and I know that is a big statement, will give you stock and test it for free if not very inexpensively. This is usually the case, so why not ask around. If the lab you are using won't do this, then look for another lab. Times are tough for everyone, the labs want your business, comping you 100 or even 200 feet of film is nothing to them. It is too bad they will only give you the 5219. Beg them if they have any 29 or 18 or even 79 available. 5219 is by no means a grainy stock. By the way, you shots you posted did not look that grainy either.

hi

well this is a student project. infact the lab is processing and printing for free. they are not charging anything

however i did went to the lab today and got my stock changed to visionII 500T

thats the max they will do for me

for the present scenes in the film ive got 250D. all the present scenes will be shot in a hospital room, so i was looking to get a cooler effect.

I do agree that the pic i put up is not really very grainy, but the whole idea is to make the past look grainier than the present.

i did speak to my professor today, and i was advised to rate the stock at 1000ASA and then print up one stop during the analyzer correction.

well i was wondering if analyzer correction is the same as printing up? or is it any other procedure?

moreover i was wondering that i should take a risk by rating the stock 1500ASA and then later on printing it up by 1 1/2 stops

Not sure how it is in your area, but here in Toronto both Kodak and Fuji have 'student liasons' that you can talk to and they will generally provide test rolls for this purpose, as long as they're convinced you're not shooting your whole project on test rolls! The policy at Technicolor here (last time I asked as a student) is they will charge you for processing/transfer of tests, but then take that amount off the final total when you process/transfer the rest of the film.

Also, if I wanted grain I'd opt for 5218 over 19, or even look into some of the Fuji stocks... I've never really shot them but I here they are grainier. In the current issue of AC magazine, Harris Savides talks about how he was frustrated he couldn't get any grain out of the current 35mm stocks for "Milk". The new stocks from kodak are very clean.

Not sure how it is in your area, but here in Toronto both Kodak and Fuji have 'student liasons' that you can talk to and they will generally provide test rolls for this purpose, as long as they're convinced you're not shooting your whole project on test rolls! The policy at Technicolor here (last time I asked as a student) is they will charge you for processing/transfer of tests, but then take that amount off the final total when you process/transfer the rest of the film.

Also, if I wanted grain I'd opt for 5218 over 19, or even look into some of the Fuji stocks... I've never really shot them but I here they are grainier. In the current issue of AC magazine, Harris Savides talks about how he was frustrated he couldn't get any grain out of the current 35mm stocks for "Milk". The new stocks from kodak are very clean.

hello

well the labs here are not being too helpful here

however, i did manage to get some 5279 stock from another film school here, to shoot the scenes i wanted grainy

i did manage to get 7 cans of it

tomo ill be goin to the lab again to find out about printin up the stock

can anyone tell me if there are different techniques to print up? and which one is better to get grains?

• Premium Member
hello

well the labs here are not being too helpful here

however, i did manage to get some 5279 stock from another film school here, to shoot the scenes i wanted grainy

i did manage to get 7 cans of it

tomo ill be goin to the lab again to find out about printin up the stock

can anyone tell me if there are different techniques to print up? and which one is better to get grains?

Maybe It would be a solution for you to consider a DI?

I just have started working with my Cineon scanner and I need various footage to create a demo-reel. I am scanning with up to 4k full aperture, 10bit DPX or CIN.

I also have here nice Inferno set, used by me just for learning, and I can grade your footage there and manage grain in as many ways as you would like to :)

My interest is to have material for my demo and you will have our footage scanned, and graded in very professional way just at cos of sending the stock here. To make sure of safe shipping you can always ask your foreign affairs ministry to send it via diplomatic post to your embassy in poland.

The only caveat is that the result will be digital file (of your choice), so if stock print is needed, you have to find a optical printer that can print from digital files.

If you are interested then write me back.

Maybe It would be a solution for you to consider a DI?

I just have started working with my Cineon scanner and I need various footage to create a demo-reel. I am scanning with up to 4k full aperture, 10bit DPX or CIN.

I also have here nice Inferno set, used by me just for learning, and I can grade your footage there and manage grain in as many ways as you would like to :)

My interest is to have material for my demo and you will have our footage scanned, and graded in very professional way just at cos of sending the stock here. To make sure of safe shipping you can always ask your foreign affairs ministry to send it via diplomatic post to your embassy in poland.

The only caveat is that the result will be digital file (of your choice), so if stock print is needed, you have to find a optical printer that can print from digital files.

If you are interested then write me back.

hey sounds great!

i should get in touch with my producer tomorrow and post you a message!

hey sounds great!

i should get in touch with my producer tomorrow and post you a message!

Then you can simply crop the image to a 16mm or so size which you framed for in camera and away you go - no under/over exposure, push etc...

Instant dial in 'grainifier'

Only issue is to make sure you have the wide angle lenses you'll need to compensate for the reduction in film size.