Is it S...L...O...W... out there, work-wise?

Workometer Poll  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How busy working are you?

• I'm working more than usual.
    • About the same as I usually do this time of year.
    • Definitely slower than usual.
    • It's dead. I'm catching-up on yard and house work.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Canada spends LESS of its GDP than the USA on health care to insure all of it's citizens, while the USA leaves 50 million of its own citizens with no health insurance.

What happens here is that the uninsured, many here illegally, use emergency rooms for routine health care. Hospitals overcharge the insured, actually their insurance companies, to balance that out. So, in a weird half assed way, everybody is sorta covered. ER's are closing to avoid that expense.

-- J.S.

wow, so now we've got religion and politics in this thread. Quick, someone mention Nazis!

I was already well on my way anyway after reading this:

entertainment. In 1929 cinema ticket sales went up by something like a third after the Wall Street mishap, and continued to rise consitstently until 1934, when thing started improving. We'll ride this recession out OK too, it doesn't seems as bad as 1929, and honestly, it's not as if bombs are dropping on out heads every second, or our loved ones are dying of a horrible incurable illness. The sun will still rise and set, and god is still looking after us all.

Last time of course we didn't ride out the depression. The subsequent credit crunch led to the collapse of the Weimer republic (which was entirely being sustained by cheap loans from america) and the rise to power of the man with the bad facial hair who ruined everything. This of course did lead to bombs dropping on peoples heads and loved ones dying of very curable illness.

As an aside people die and suffer greatly from very curable illnness even now anyway.

Phew! Now we have the Nazis covered too, all sorted! :)

love

Freya

Actually I'm not! God is real and I'm sticking up for him!I really should strengthen my passion for my views.

Good on ya Matt. People very rarely believe in Zeus these days, it's good to know you still do.

• Premium Member
People very rarely believe in Zeus these days, ....

Zeus, Schmeus. What about Amon Ra, Osiris, that old time religion? (Actually I don't believe in any of them. I'm an apathetic agnostic.)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Zeus, Schmeus. What about Amon Ra, Osiris, that old time religion? (Actually I don't believe in any of them. I'm an apathetic agnostic.)

-- J.S.

This is the slippery slope people, I can assure you as a collapsed catholic if you go down this road, this thread will never end.

Kieran.

???

Nevermind. It'll all make sense it 2000 years when the main religions are Apple's iFaith, The Force and Scientology.

Although I dare say that followers of The Force will break off into separate groups - one that follows the original testament, the other minority group following the prequel testament.

I should add a :) just so you know this is all said with a smile.

Bah! You're all a godless bunch!

This is the film industry Matthew are you surprised? :D

You must be the most devout British member we have on the forum, normally if you mention "religion" on this forum the British members are the first to have a fit! :D

R,

Nevermind. It'll all make sense it 2000 years when the main religions are Apple's iFaith, The Force and Scientology.

Although I dare say that followers of The Force will break off into separate groups - one that follows the original testament, the other minority group following the prequel testament.

I should add a :) just so you know this is all said with a smile.

My vote is for Odin, not that I have a vested intrest or anything! ;)

Surely the followers of the force would already be in two groups anyway, aren't you forgetting the darkside!

(This Star Wars buisness is probably my fault for mentioning the fall of the republic and the rise of the evil empire! Oh well!)

As for iFaith, it has given me a fantastic idea, rather than a religion, how about a computer program so that your computer can believe for you. Then you could easily say with a clear conscience "It is okay because I have faith" and you would never have to worry about losing your faith or any of that kind of stuff (well not unless you were running the windows version anyway!) It could revolutionise religion. One less thing to worry about and I'm sure the computer would be really good at having faith, much better than people! :)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Bah! You're all a godless bunch! And It's partly my fault!

It is all your fault Matthew your words have transformed these lovely people into a bunch of godless heathens with no respect for all that is sacred!

Shame on you!

;)

love

Freya

Bah! You're all a godless bunch! And It's partly my fault!

There is no proof either way of any "god" therefore stating absolutes about the issue is as silly as claiming that one camera is better than another. Both (the idea of god and a camera) are merely tools meant to provide a service to those who use them. The hope of a benevolent god provides a crutch for the weak who hope for a better life here and elsewhere while a camera is merely a box with a hole in it to record an image. Of course it's the bells & whistles we add to the basic concepts that ultimately determine whether something is "good" or "bad" relative to what we need it to do for us, but in the end, they are merely tools for those who need them...neither inherently good nor inherently bad.

My goodness - how has this this very relevant thread 'evolved' into the existence of a divine being???

Come on people, maybe its time we step away from the keyboard and go out and do something else...

"Turn off your television set and go and do something else less boring instead." ;)

How wrong you are...

Very wrong indeed, David! Almost as wrong as the time I though the defference between 200 ASA and 320 was nine stops!! :lol:

As for you, Freya, they were like that when I got here! :lol:

And yes Richard, I rather like Britain, and I rather like god. You're completely right about the Brits being the noisiest when it camoes to religious debate, I suppose I'm one of them. :ph34r:

I'm starting to work more than ever now.

Anyone else picking up the small wave?

Yes. I've had one day off in the last two weeks. Tired but taking every call cuz there's no one looking after me except myself. ;)

no one looking after me except myself. ;)

Hmmm, that sounds a bit like a capitalist/Republican ideal, should you not be passing on any work you are offered to some one who is not working? :D

R,