can anyone help with choice of super 8?

Guest liam

HI, I was wondering if anyone could help with the choice of a super 8 camera, my partner is a film studies graduate and i would very much like to get her a good camera as a present as the state of her current one is quite bad and basic, I had a good look through ebay (uk) but seeing as i know very little its hard to choose, i do know that sound isn't important, just good quality, is there anything i should stay away from, or run to?!

much appreciated

liam

Canon is my favorite. the Nizo and Bauer are well noted common and easy to find models as well. when shopping ebay, try and stick with cameras that are tested and assured to work. anyone who states "I know nothing of this camera sold as is" means "doesn't work". the rest is dependant on your budget. you can find a decent model with all the features for $150-$500. many cheaper cameras are usually found in attics or what not and are a gamble.

Hiya,

The Kinoflex's are good stuff (pretty good lens, manual exposure, film speed up to 32 fps)

Other option are Zeiss Ikon Moviflex's with high quality lens.

Then, if you can afford it : The Beaulieu 4008/ Classic Pro8 is very cool (but expensive), as you can shoot from 2 to 70 fps. It features C-Mount, NiCad battery for up to 50 cartridges. There is also the Xtal option at 24 fps or 25 fps for accurate sync and so you can make direct sound easely. (the camera is not blimped, but the sound noise level at 24 fps is not so terrible, and you can manage a scracth blimp). Really interesting pro stuff.

Good luck.

Daniel

The two camera I really like are the Canon Auto Zoom 814 Electronic, and the Nikon Super Zoom 8x. These are really good camera for a low price.

The Canon Auto Zoom 814 Electronic. Is my favorite. I got mine off Ebay for $50. It has a very sharp lens, and the macro is incredible! I can get so close to an object it is touching the lens and it is still in focus. Manual/Auto Exposure control. It also has variable shutter speed, and frame speeds are 1,18, 24 and 40fps for Slow motion.

Nikon Super Zoom 8x is an excellent camera for the price. I got mine for $25. A lot of people overlook this camera because if it's old school design. But is a really good super8 camera. It has an excellent lens that produce a very sharp image. Its frame speeds are 1, 18 and 24fps. Also has Manual and Auto Exposure. Plus it's built like a army tank. Definitely one you should consider if your on at tight budget.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

My advice is to stay away from the cheap cameras. eg, Nikon Super Zoom and other low-end super 8 cameras. You might get a nice image with them for a while, but they have tendency to break down. (at least mine did) When compared to 16mm cameras, higher end S8 cameras are still really cheap...

It also depends on what you want to do with the camera. If your a lomographer out to capture fuzzy stuff then use whatever you can get, but if you want the best image possible, you are going to be using negative stocks and spending close to what you would spend for 16mm, after you transfer, color correct etc etc...

Have fun -- hope this helps

I own a Nizo 6080 and recommend it highly. Other than say the Beaulieu sync cameras, the 6080 is the very best you can buy. Some people will go on and on about Canon cameras, which are very good, but the Nizo 6080 is the very, very best. It can be converted to synce sound, it is a very quiet camera to begin with, probably THE quietest. Also, you can buy many pro style accessories; Barney, larger mags( 200' and 400'), matte box, rails and on and on. A good one can be purchased for around 500 or 600. I have shot many rolls of film and am very pleased with the results. Living in Europe as you do, you can get them serviced in Germany, I believe, which is a lot easier than we have it here in the states. If money is not an issue and you can spend 2k or 3k, then buy brand new from Pro8mm.com, she will love you forever. Best of luck.

• Premium Member
I own a Nizo 6080 and recommend it highly. Other than say the Beaulieu sync cameras, the 6080 is the very best you can buy. Some people will go on and on about Canon cameras, which are very good, but the Nizo 6080 is the  very, very best. It can be converted to synce sound, it is a very quiet camera to begin with, probably THE quietest. Also, you can buy many pro style accessories; Barney, larger mags( 200' and 400'), matte box, rails and on and on. A good one can be purchased for around 500 or 600. I have shot many rolls of film and am very pleased with the results. Living in Europe as you do, you can get them serviced in Germany, I believe, which is a lot easier than we have it here in the states. If money is not an issue and you can spend 2k or 3k, then buy brand new from Pro8mm.com, she will love you forever. Best of luck.

Can you give further information on the "brand new comment". Other than a couple of Russian made cameras, I'm not aware of new Super-8 camera production.

i think cheaper cameras are getting a bit of a bad rap here.

i own and use yashica, hannimex, sankyo, as well as canon

(yes a 814, as well as two 518)

cheaper cameras should be tested with batteries before purchase, but i have had no problems with film register, not running, etc.

if anything the cheaper camera may be harder to use, ie not XL, thereby increasing your skill a little in judging light, as well as getting very clear images because they have a 150 or 180 shutter.(NOT a bad thing if you have a lot of light.

if your cheap camera can only shoot 18fps, do not despair! be mindful to pan very slowly, and limit fast action.

in reality cheaper cameras may not have the bells and whistles, but in capable hands they can be just as viable as expensive cameras.

Well, by brand new, I meant, the closest you will get to being brand new is probably one that you would purchase from Pro8mm.com. Does Beaulieu have any cameras currently in production?

Beaulieu ceased production since 2002. You can buy a new Beaulieu 7008Pro, for example, through Wittner. It cost like over US$4k without the lens. They only build few units at a time from new parts they bought from Beaulieu France.

Bjorn Andersson (Beaulieu Sweden) has a new 6008Pro on sale much cheaper when I inquired last year. You can ask him again.