A certain flagging technique

David Calson

I've been watching some behind the scenes stuff of some movies. And I see this alot, the grip will be just behind the operator, following him, with like a 4x4 solid or a double. Is this a courtesy flag for the operator, or negative frontal fill, something else?

Thanks.

I've been watching some behind the scenes stuff of some movies. And I see this alot, the grip will be just behind the operator, following him, with like a 4x4 solid or a double. Is this a courtesy flag for the operator, or negative frontal fill, something else?

Thanks.

What is the operator doing? Is he a steadicam operator? If so it may be a windbreak.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

Probably a flag to cut off light so the camera operator can see it more clearly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94et1Bb53mw&fmt=22 and go to 16:12 and I believe this is what he is talking about.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was also going to ask this question and pulled out the attached for clarification. I seem to see it most often with steadicam, although I'm not sure of its use beyond the possibilities suggested in this thread.

Still is from August 2010 American Cinematographer article on Salt.

post-38621-043012100 1283236597.jpg

I was also going to ask this question and pulled out the attached for clarification. I seem to see it most often with steadicam, although I'm not sure of its use beyond the possibilities suggested in this thread.

Still is from August 2010 American Cinematographer article on Salt.

The double net is used as a wind break for the steadicam. It is preferable to use net rather than a solid for 2 reasons.

The first is that the grips can clearly see through the net what the operator is doing, so their coordination will be better. The second, and more important, is that the net diffuses the wind rather than blocking it. Blocking the wind with a solid, would create turbulence around and under the frame, which will create unpredictable wind action on the rig. This is the most important reason for using nets rather than solids.

• Upvote 1

The double net is used as a wind break for the steadicam. It is preferable to use net rather than a solid for 2 reasons.

The first is that the grips can clearly see through the net what the operator is doing, so their coordination will be better. The second, and more important, is that the net diffuses the wind rather than blocking it. Blocking the wind with a solid, would create turbulence around and under the frame, which will create unpredictable wind action on the rig. This is the most important reason for using nets rather than solids.

Great explanation, thank you!

• 9 months later...

Usually a 4x double net or solid is used to stop wind from effecting the camera during a stedicam shot.

Smaller solid flags are used to keep unwanted light out of the lens to stop flaring.

Many times a white poly bounce will be used to fill a subect on the move or a solid flag may produce negative fill to add contrast.

There can be many reasons...