New Forum Design

Tim Tyler

Hope everybody likes the forum upgrade. SteadicamForum.com has been running with this upgrade for a couple of months without any issues, so I expect the transition here to be smooth too.

Please report any issues or problems to me and I'll attend to them ASAP.

I recommend each user update their profile picture, avatar, signature, and "About Me" info as the existing ones don't always fit the format of this new layout and may not be displayed properly.

• Premium Member

you know, honestly, Tim I really enjoyed the older layout. I'm sure this one can grown on me, I suppose but it did spend about 15 minutes this morning trying to figure out where the "view new posts" button was (found it eventually).

Guest Jeremy Hunt

I tired to post a new topic in 8mm forum, but it wont let me post the txt, it might be my internet though.

Looks nice however

Edited by Jeremy Hunt

• Premium Member

Hi Tim,

There is a problem with subscriptions,

Current Package: Sustaining Membership - Lifetime

Purchased With: Paypal

Paid Until: 13 Dec 1901

You have paid until 13 Dec 1901. No automatic renewal will be performed.

Best Stephen

• Premium Member

Also, dunno if this is just me, but it seems that if I close out my browser and then come back to the forum (relogin) it doesn't pull the "new posts" when I hit it, despite the fact that there are new posts online.

why do forums always have trouble with shorter search strings ?

It is currently a trade-off.

Allowing short search input strings means disabling fulltext search support. I'm looking into a solution with the best of both though.

• Premium Member

I do like the new look. Crisper, yet also somehow softer. And new information that's good to have as well:

* Current Package: Sustaining Membership - Lifetime

* Until: 06 Sep 2014

I shall mark my calendar and begin making arrangements tomorrow.

S-

• Premium Member

Paid Until: 13 Dec 1901

Aha -- Ye olde Y2K bug rides again.... ;-) It looks like they used some old library code.

As for the new design, it's just a little bump in the road to get used to it, sort of like driving a rental car.

-- J.S.

Tim,

How could you change the design of a forum that is populated by 99% men?

You know we like the furniture in the same spot for 40 years, and we can go with the same haircut from 21 to 81 :D

R,

PS: If the new design means that 100% of my old posts where just deleted, great!!

PSS: One technical thing I notice, if I click an external link a new browser window no longer opens up. On the old site a new browser would open and then when you where done with that window you could just close it and the forum would still be there. Now I have to click "back", not as good in my book. Plus why would you want people to be taken away from your site via external links? I think automatically opening a new browser window is better. My .02.

I, almost universally, like the new forum layout.

Wish the transition were more seamless, there was a learning curve, but overall it is markedly better.

Good job Tim.

Edited by Karl Borowski