Canon AF 310 XL-S

Kent Filleman

Recently I unpacked my Super 8 and Regular 8 cameras after about 5 years of storage. Examining them has given me the bug to begin filming again. I read that the 8mm world is changing and that different film stocks need to be adapted to. I plan on exposing the rest of my Kodachrome 40 soon and getting it into the mail soon to Dwayne's Photo for processing. I will probably have questions about utilizing my other cameras but today I want to focus on my Canon AF 310 XL-S. It seems to be working fine.

I am wondering how I can use this with 100D and a few remaining cartridges of 64T, Plus-X and TriX. What filters and notch and pin adaptations do I need to film with this camera?

Recently I unpacked my Super 8 and Regular 8 cameras after about 5 years of storage. Examining them has given me the bug to begin filming again. I read that the 8mm world is changing and that different film stocks need to be adapted to. I plan on exposing the rest of my Kodachrome 40 soon and getting it into the mail soon to Dwayne's Photo for processing. I will probably have questions about utilizing my other cameras but today I want to focus on my Canon AF 310 XL-S. It seems to be working fine.

I am wondering how I can use this with 100D and a few remaining cartridges of 64T, Plus-X and TriX. What filters and notch and pin adaptations do I need to film with this camera?

64t wont be any good with it. 100d move the orange filter out of the way should be fine. got till December to use up you kodachrome. get to it

• 8 months later...

you can use the new vision stocks, I would do the following:

shoot with the 500T indoors and the 200t outdoors. Outdoors on a sunny day, you may want to use a ND filter. given the latitude of both stocks you will be fine in terms of exposure and color. the two hundred seventeen degree shutter at eighteen frames a second is about a thirtieth of a second. so..... point your camera with either stock in it at a gray card and notice the meter reading, point a spot meter at the same gray card and notice it's reading. then you will know about where the camera meters the film and how much you may have to compensate or not.

• Premium Member

Pro8mm has a negative Super 8 stock made from Fuji Vivid 160T which in theory should be perfect for that camera. Of course you'll have to have them transfer it and that's not cheap.

Here's an example of Ektachrome 100D shot with a Canon AF310XL...

By the way, although the camera is easy and convenient to use, the lens is not very good and the autofocus tends to result in poor focus if anything is moving in your shot.

The clip looks great, I think the 100D looks fantastic. I think some simpler cameras are actually quite good, I have just used a Chinon Pocket 8, it has one fixed lens, it's an increadibly small and simple camera, but surprisingly it's produces very sharp images.

P

• Premium Member

The clip looks great, I think the 100D looks fantastic.

Thanks. It's a great stock, my complaint on the 310 XL-S is just the autofocus which can be fine or bad depending on what you're filming and especially if the subject is moving... it locks the focus when you pull the trigger and stays there. We're talking 1980 autofocus mechanism.

• 4 weeks later...

Kent,

Unfortunately the AF 310XL-S does only distinguish between 40T and 160T stock -- different than its older sister without Autofocus, which handles more kinds of film. Your E100D would thus probably be underexposed.

Read & Try my camera and cartridge testers if in doubt.