True Grit

After reading the transcript of an interview between John Wayne and Time life magazine I have to admit the "Duke" sickened me. His blatantly bigoted views on African Americans and also Native Americans. He said that he agreed with the way Whites took their land and annihilated them. Quote: we wanted the land, they were in our way, we had the right to take it from them. Makes me wanna puke. Glad the **(obscenity removed)** is dead and buried.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually enjoyed the cinematography on this and NCFOM, especially the extended periods where the camera just focussed on one area with nothing happening. Made a nice change from all the fast action camera moves we have been seeing on movies such as Battle for L.A. (although that style did suit the movie)

http://www.deakinsonline.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1649&p=8219&hilit=grit#p8219

Yeah, they were very strange shots. I'll have to watch it again for sure, but it seemed like the background of trees & sky didn't match properly with the camera movement, or perhaps just didn't seem natural to the actors' and horse's movement.

Isn't that a Coen Brothers trademark. Things slightly off kilter, not quite right?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not against remakes as long as they respect the original, yet try to add something a little different. Don't just want a facsimile of the original. I have to admit tho, I'm a little tired of all these horror movie remakes and reinventions, pretty lazy if you ask me.

IMDB states 5217 and 5219 as usual but Kodak posted on FB that it was shot on Vision 3 250D.

Deakins was interviewed in British Cinematographer and he said 5217 and 5219. Kodak says that here too.

Edited by Shawn Martin

• 5 years later...