OT BluRay Movies

It's the same interview I read here it is.

Ever since 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment announced that it would be releasing the eagerly-anticipated Alien Anthology Blu-ray boxset this October, tech-heads across the internet have been wondering how the studio will be handling James Cameron's Aliens in hi-def. After all, the film has always looked incredibly grainy and, as shown by Fox's recent re-release of Predator, the studio isn't afraid of hitting the big old DNR button while mastering films for Blu-ray in order to scrub away film grain (and fine detail).

After a month of speculation, we now appear to have an answer straight from the horse's mouth, so-to-speak. During an interview to promote the upcoming cinema release of the special edition of Avatar for ComingSoon.net, James Cameron was asked if he'd been involved in the Aliens Blu-ray and here's what he had to say...

'I just did a complete remaster of Aliens personally, with the same colourist I worked with on Avatar. And it's spectacular. We went in and completely de-noised, de-grained it, up-rezzed it, colour corrected it end-to-end, every frame. It looks amazing, better than it looked in theatres originally. Because it was shot on a high-speed negative that was a new negative that didn't pan out too well and got replaced the following year. So it was pretty grainy. We got rid of all the grain. It's sharper and clearer and more beautiful than it ever looked. And we did that to the long version, to the director's cut or the extended play'.

So, should we expect a DNR'd wax-fest like the Predator Blu-ray? I guess we'll only find out for sure when Blu-ray review copies arrive at the HCC office. And rest assured that we'll let you know exactly what the film looks like, and provide some hi-res screenshots, as soon as they turn up.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Compression may be part of the problem.

It'd be entirely possible to sit in a telecine suite and degrain your movie quite carefully and appropriately, using techniques which effectively rely on identifying and averaging-out things that are:

a: Small

b: Move quickly

By these techniques you could reach a point where it all looked pretty good, without excessive artifacting, smeariness or loss of fine detail.

Then someone else, who you probably aren't supervising, will be responsible for fitting your two-to-six-terabyte finished grade onto a twenty-five gigabyte blu-ray disc. The techniques involved in doing this rely on the viewer's tolerance for a lack of details which are:

a: Small

b: Move quickly

I'm sure you can see where this is going.

P

I am hearing that the (Director approved) transfer of LOTR- Fellowship Of The Ring (Extended Blu-ray)is seriously screwed up. Way too green. Can anyone confirm this. I want to order the extended set, but not if everyone in Part one looks like Yoda.

I had just read the same thing last night about The Fellowship of the Ring being messed around with. I have been waiting for the extended edition box set, not for the films themselves but rather for the extras across several discs. I've seen both versions of all three films a number of times and I prefer the theatrical cuts of each installment far more; the additional and extended scenes stand out in comparison because they disrupt the momentum of the story for me.

Peter Jackson and Andrew Lesnie have supervised a new transfer of the extended editions; entire scenes have changed in hue and saturation. From what I've been reading Fellowship is the worst affected; one scene in particular on the snowy mountain tops before the fellowship enter Moria has gone from clean white snow and blue sky to a cyan/green hue over the whole picture. There are theories abound that Jackson's attempting to establish a continuity in look from Return of the King back to the two Hobbit films being made now. People who claim there was a problem during the transfer I ask them to look at The Dark Knight, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien on Blu-ray and claim there was a problem during their transfers; the Lord of the Rings went through quality control, they signed off on it, what you see is what they want you to see. I doubt the extended edition box set has the theatrical cuts unaltered, so I may buy the Blu-ray of the theatrical cuts that's been around for a while and stick with the extended edition extras from the DVD version which I've had for years.

Saying all this, this doesn't detract the Lord of the Rings from being a great trilogy of films. Whatever Jackson and Lesnie may do to them now and in the future.

With regard to FOTR here is an article from thedigitalbits.com.

All right... I'm sure this announcement is going to liven-up discussion around the Interwebs. As many of you are aware, Warner's new Blu-ray release of The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy - Extended Edition finally arrives in stores tomorrow. It's a damn fine box set, that we think you'll all enjoy (see our review here). Meanwhile, a few of you may be aware that there's been some controversy regarding screenshots and the color timing of the new 2K-remastered presentation of Fellowship of the Ring. Our feeling here at The Bits is that it's been blown out of proportion, as things tend to be these days. However, just to be sure, we started a process a couple weeks ago (before we posted our review) to encourage Warner Home Video and Wingnut Films to investigate the matter to make sure that the discs streeting tomorrow truly and accurately represent the creative vision of director Peter Jackson and cinematographer Andrew Lesnie. That process has been on-going, involving Wingnut and the filmmakers, and it appears it's finally concluded. Here's the studio's official statement on the issue, as of this afternoon:

"Warner Bros Home Entertainment Group confirms that The Lord of the Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy Extended Edition Blu-ray accurately represents the intended look of each of the three features.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring™ was remastered from the original digital production files in order to reproduce the full color imagery of the feature."

So there it is. We have little doubt that the controversy will continue in some quarters, and that those who are convinced there's a problem here will continue to feel that way. Nevertheless, we are told that the filmmakers have checked the discs and confirmed this is the intended look. We suspect that when the discs are actually in YOUR hands tomorrow, the vast majority of you will be very happy with them. We further suspect that many of those who've been following the controversy for the past couple of weeks will wonder what the fuss was about. It shall be interesting to see what the 'morrow brings. Much rejoicing (and a bit of talk about 'revisionism'), we predict.

I decided to buy the LOTR box set last week, seeing as the price was dropped by 14 note just before launch date. I have to say that I don't really notice any excessive green tint, even in the snow/ mountain scenes. I think it was all blown way out of proportion.

He is obviously very proud of the work he and his team did during the filming of the trilogy. There is no way he would have allowed the EE Blu-rays to be released unless he was 100% happy with the way they looked. So that's good enough for me. Don't listen to the naysayers who run down the color of FOTR, trust Jackson and Lesnie.

I bit the bullet last week and purchased the LOTR EE Blu-rays and I am totally happy with the way ALL 3 movies look. My only complaint is that there are 9 DVD's in the set. Why could they not use BD's, even if the extras were standard definition? Could have saved 3 discs. WB are a strange beast.

• 2 weeks later...

I would much rather they just release the Blu-rays of the movies only, I already had the supplements DVD's from the extended editions years ago. If you are gonna release a much loved and anticipated movie on a superior format, go all the way, don't jerk around WB.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no-one has made a mention of what is happening with the Star Wars Blu-ray. George Lucas has made more alterations in addition to what was already done in the '97 Special Editions and the DVD release. The Ewoks now blink, Darth Vader cries "Noooo!" before he throws the Emperor into the reactor, there are more X-Wings in the battle of Endor, and there's a reverse 'Planet of the Apes' zoom when C-3PO and R2-D2 approach the door to Jabba's Palace. That's only from 'Return of the Jedi'. It wouldn't shock me if more has been changed that hasn't officially been announced yet.

Beyond the alterations, the image quality should be excellent for 'Attack of the Clones' and 'Revenge of the Sith' since they will be direcetly transferred from the HD masters. 'A New Hope' should look great since Lowry Digital did a 4K cleanup job with it years ago; hopefully 'Empire' and 'Jedi' have gotten similar love.

Segue: which Blu-rays have you been pleasantly surprised by? Where you didn't expect a significant difference jumping from DVD to High Def but which made an impression?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Segue: which Blu-rays have you been pleasantly surprised by? Where you didn't expect a significant difference jumping from DVD to High Def but which made an impression?

Ben Hur looks awesome on Blu-ray. They did a great job of cleaning it up.