Drive

Has anyone seen "Drive" yet. I'm not famaliar with any of Nicolas Winding Refn's other films, i have to say this was amazing. The lighting and lens choices from Newton Thomas Sigel where fantastic. I don't think there was a frame of that movie that wasn't extremely well thought out.

If you haven't seen it, please do.

Has anyone seen "Drive" yet. I'm not famaliar with any of Nicolas Winding Refn's other films, i have to say this was amazing. The lighting and lens choices from Newton Thomas Sigel where fantastic. I don't think there was a frame of that movie that wasn't extremely well thought out.

If you haven't seen it, please do.

An interview I did with the cinematographer just went up online at the HD VIDEO PRO website.

http://www.hdvideopro.com/display/features/a-boy-and-his-car.html

Am very much looking forward to seeing the film.

Alexa doesn't look like film to me (night stuff just doesn't pop), but I guess it is close enough for most folks. Deakins seems to be an instant convert after the Andrew Niccol film, enough to make the Bond people go Alexa for the next one, and I just did a piece on the Scorsese picture, which is Alexa and 3D, so it is catching on bigtime.

An interview I did with the cinematographer just went up online at the HD VIDEO PRO website.

http://www.hdvideopro.com/display/features/a-boy-and-his-car.html

Am very much looking forward to seeing the film.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. Does anyone have any idea what Sigel meant by 'the Kodak system?

“ALEXA can capture in a variety of ways, using internal drives, SR tape or the Kodak system, though availability and cost ruled out the latter,”

• Premium Member

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. Does anyone have any idea what Sigel meant by 'the Kodak system?

“ALEXA can capture in a variety of ways, using internal drives, SR tape or the Kodak system, though availability and cost ruled out the latter,”

He probably said "Codex" and the journalist thought he said "Kodak".

He probably said "Codex" and the journalist thought he said "Kodak".

Now you've got ME stumped. I just went back to the transcript and he definitely said Codex. Don't know when it became Kodak, unless spellcheck didn't ID the word Codex and suggested Kodak as replacement ... but that still means I screwed up.

• Premium Member

Great film. Instant classic.

And if I may say so, Newton Thomas Sigel ASC's best work ever. Color palette, the obscured, hard cut lights, the stellar driving lighting, the beautiful motivated night stuff etc - great stuff. And a great showpiece for Alexa.

Beautiful film, enjoyed every bit of it.

Anyone know which filters Sigel used? For wide-angle shots where he was shooting up into lights, you could see artifacts of what seemed like Pro Mists. Don't know if I liked it or not...but it did work with the style & look of the piece for sure.

Ahh, should read the article first: "Sigel avoided filtration, employing only very light Soft/FX for a few select shots."

American Cinematographer just put out what looks like a more comprehensive article on the film. I tried getting the 'digital preview' off their webpage but it cut out or expired before I could read more than a page or two.

• Premium Member

Just saw it on a perfect 4K screen. Great film. I couldn't help but notice an odd softness to the whole movie though. There were also very slight gamma shifts in several scenes. The weirdest thing was when there were very small points of light in someone's eye, there would often be a color shifting thing going on. Was this (color and softness issues) related to the limits of a 1080 camera on a big 4k screen?

I also missed the better skin color that film would have caught, I hate to say.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...