Thoughts on the Eclair NPR and CP 16R

David Owen James

I'm looking to purchase a camera and a serviced Arri SR I or II seems to be out of my budget. What are your thoughts on the Eclair NPR and the CP 16R? I have been told the Eclair NPR is hard to find parts for, but will that be a concern if I buy one fully serviced?

Thank you

I have a late model NPR (English made circa 1980, U16). Serviced and converted by Bernie O.,it runs like a champ. But I'm not a hi volume shooter so I don't have the experience of running the camera everyday. But I'm very happy with it. Plus I got it at a great price.

• Premium Member

The CP16 is an Auricon movement, it's about as good as a non-pin movement can be. The NPR "bench type" registration pin didn't really work all that well, so they're about a wash. For significantly better registration, you have to go with Arri or Mitchell.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

The CP16 is an Auricon movement, it's about as good as a non-pin movement can be.

Actually, I have been told it is technically a _COPY_ of an Auricon movement. Walter did not sell movements to Cinema Products, but they reverse engineered the design.

The CP16 is an Auricon movement, it's about as good as a non-pin movement can be. The NPR "bench type" registration pin didn't really work all that well, so they're about a wash. For significantly better registration, you have to go with Arri or Mitchell.

-- J.S.

Years ago I nearly bought a non reflex CP16. The gate had some tiny balls that sat in the film sprockets for regestration. I did a regestration test, shooting some parrallel lines, then rewinding the film, rotating the lines about 5 degrees and reshooting. The two sets of lines weren't stable together, so just intuitively, that was a fail. Good excuse not to buy the camera.

Gregg