The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 4K

IMDB says it "premiered" in the UK on Dec 12th. Was that a special screening, press only or something?

It was a red carpet job with cast, crew (except seemingly the director) and invited guests, the most of the press have their own screenings. http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/12/12/rooney-mara-stuns-in-backless-dress-while-daniel-craig-goes-hell-for-leather-at-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-premiere-115875-23630978/

According to this report The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (shot with Epics) is being shown in 4K at Odeon Cinemas, Leicester Square, London.

Has anybody seen this film in 4K? If so, what did you think?

It was 35mm Super 35 2,35:1 but it went through a DI. I seem to remember it being shot on Kodak.

There was an article about it in American Cinematographer back in 2010. April/May kinda time?

I don't have a subscription so can't tell you much more.

• Premium Member

Yeah I think it had one scene shot on 35mm in a club that had strobes, which no CMOS can deal with.

I just saw it an Arclight, which is a top-notch theater, and it looked great overall although it was a slightly soft considering. I assume (hope) it was a 2k file or projector. Only one or two pieces of it stood out as a video-ish looking in color but overall the skin was rendered better than I was expecting.

Freya, this movie was 2/3 Red MX and 1/3 Red Epic.

4K DI Workflow on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Ah, sorry, didn't realise they were already bashing out a remake!

The original is available on dvd now along with 2 sequels!

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Dragon-Tattoo-Michael-Nyqvist/dp/B003FBNJ4U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Seems like a fast turnaround with it all, maybe they are worried it will go out of fashion quickly in this fast moving age!

• Premium Member

According to the Sony 4K cinema finder I found on Reduser, Hoyts at Ultimo in Sydney have a 4K projector, but Hoyts own web site doesn't mention this. They do talk about their XtremeScreen experience, but that's available at a lot of their cinemas.

I've wasted far too much time, money and popcorn checking out Red-shot features, to see if the end product matched the hype (and it never did) but 4K might be worth a look :rolleyes:

Does anybody know anything about this cinema? I've emailed them, but had no response as yet.

• 3 months later...

Saw it on a 2k screen, Rooney Mara was good, the rest just mediocre. A few days earlier I saw Se7en on TV again, IMHO the superior film - not only regarding technical quality and cinematography...

Out of curiosity are there any plans to introduce 4K monitors, other than front projectors?

Eizo just introduced one: Eizo 4k 92cm but what viewing distance ratio you need to appreciate 4k vs. 2k (when cameras are capable of producing equally sharp 4k) ? 1:2 (2m screen, 4m distance)? I'm not sure if it makes any sense at home, at least not for films. But 3D at home also doesn't make sense, still, the industry is seeing money and pushing it...

Saw it on a 2k screen, Rooney Mara was good, the rest just mediocre. A few days earlier I saw Se7en on TV again, IMHO the superior film - not only regarding technical quality and cinematography...

Eizo just introduced one: Eizo 4k 92cm but what viewing distance ratio you need to appreciate 4k vs. 2k (when cameras are capable of producing equally sharp 4k) ? 1:2 (2m screen, 4m distance)? I'm not sure if it makes any sense at home, at least not for films. But 3D at home also doesn't make sense, still, the industry is seeing money and pushing it...

Totally agree with you there. The studios do insist on ramming 3D down the consumers throats dont they?

According to the ARRI 4k+ study (page 29) the biggest distance to fully resolve 4k with normal eyesight is 20m on a 25m wide screen, which results in a view angle of 60° which many people already find unpleasent. So given a 2m wide screen at home (I think everything beyond that remains unrealistic for practical - not technological - purposes) it's a viewing distance of just 1.6m!

On the other hand, resolution is more than just 2k vs. 4k, it's the contrast and fine rendering of details - I saw MI4 on a 4k DLP Barco and it definitely was better than all 2k or 35mm screenings I've attended. But that doesn't mean that any acquisition tool can achieve that level of quality, even when the pixel count on the sensor justifies the brand "4k". To be honest, I hardly doubt that it's possible with 24mm wide sensors, yet (without compromising other aspects of IQ). I have yet to see any digital camera that is sharper on 1080p/2k-output than the Alexa besides only using 1.5x oversampling... Not even speaking about the overall look (which is partially due to the large photosites with a 8.25µm pitch).

According to the Sony 4K cinema finder I found on Reduser, Hoyts at Ultimo in Sydney have a 4K projector, but Hoyts own web site doesn't mention this. They do talk about their XtremeScreen experience, but that's available at a lot of their cinemas.

I've wasted far too much time, money and popcorn checking out Red-shot features, to see if the end product matched the hype (and it never did) but 4K might be worth a look :rolleyes:

Does anybody know anything about this cinema? I've emailed them, but had no response as yet.

I thought you might be interested I asked some one about that at event cinema's

always thought they were 2k

"Hi Paul

Vmax is currently serviced by a 2K projector, however we do have several 4k projectors in other theatres in the complex. Vmax is shortly due to be upgraded to 4K quality, however this has been delayed somewhat due to the limited availability of 4K product to screen through these newer projectors.

Kind Regards

#####"

• Premium Member

I thought you might be interested I asked some one about that at event cinema's

always thought they were 2k

"Hi Paul

Vmax is currently serviced by a 2K projector, however we do have several 4k projectors in other theatres in the complex. Vmax is shortly due to be upgraded to 4K quality, however this has been delayed somewhat due to the limited availability of 4K product to screen through these newer projectors.

Kind Regards

#####"

About what I figured.

I've seen the movie on DVD now.

Even on 720 x 576, the higher source resolution can still result in a visibly sharper image.

This just looks like fairly ordinary video.

I might get out the Blu-Ray when the price drops to the weekly rate to see if anything of the 4K sharpness makes it through, but I didn't think much of the movie itself anyway. Or the original Swedish version for that matter.

Buggered if I know....

• Premium Member

I have heard that any improvements over 2K are not visible to the human eye at close range (ie at home)

Having enjoyed using 1920 x 1080 computer monitors for some time now, I can see the first real application for 4K panels being hi-resolution PC screens.

It's already fantastic being able to have two A4-sized Word documents side by side, fully readable with no scrolling; being able to do the same with 8 pages would be a real killer app. I could have a Word doc, a couple of PDFs, Outlook and a couple of Photoshop images all open at once, all at readable resolution!

I can't wait for my first 4K evaluation samples, always assuming my PC's video card can cope :-)

That and the Gamer market will be the first 4K entry point for sure.

Meanwhile, they're still selling an awful lot of 1366 x 768 screens to happy customers. I don't care what anybody says, a 32" 1366 x 768 digital TV is still a hell of a jump in quality from 480i NTSC, at a bargain price.

According to the ARRI 4k+ study (page 29) the biggest distance to fully resolve 4k with normal eyesight is 20m on a 25m wide screen, which results in a view angle of 60° which many people already find unpleasant. So given a 2m wide screen at home (I think everything beyond that remains unrealistic for practical - not technological - purposes) it's a viewing distance of just 1.6m!

On the other hand, resolution is more than just 2k vs. 4k, it's the contrast and fine rendering of details - I saw MI4 on a 4k DLP Barco and it definitely was better than all 2k or 35mm screenings I've attended. But that doesn't mean that any acquisition tool can achieve that level of quality, even when the pixel count on the sensor justifies the brand "4k". To be honest, I hardly doubt that it's possible with 24mm wide sensors, yet (without compromising other aspects of IQ). I have yet to see any digital camera that is sharper on 1080p/2k-output than the Alexa besides only using 1.5x oversampling... Not even speaking about the overall look (which is partially due to the large photosites with a 8.25µm pitch).

I suspected as much.

According to the ARRI 4k+ study (page 29) the biggest distance to fully resolve 4k with normal eyesight is 20m on a 25m wide screen, which results in a view angle of 60° which many people already find unpleasent. So given a 2m wide screen at home (I think everything beyond that remains unrealistic for practical - not technological - purposes) it's a viewing distance of just 1.6m!

A well authored 1080P movie will look just as superb on a 80-120" screen I would have thought.