Does a Canon 1014XLS' lens need to be recentered for MAX8?

Francisco Martins

No. I have a Canon 1014xl-s with a widened gate and the lens has not been repositioned - it is unecessary - the center of the frame is now just slightly to the right and the right hand edge of the fame in the viewfinder is good for lining up the edge of the actual frame - you just have to imagine an extra couple of mm to the right.

Of course if you are not happy shooting this way and want to know where the caneter is then yes, have the lens realligned - BUT you will still not see the WHOLE image area that you will get.

Recentring the main lens with view-finder optics seems impossible to me. Possibly the screw-holes of the widened gate are widened too. SInce there is a bit of play in the mechanism it could possibly work to put the gate back in while off-centring this a bit. The cartridge-plate has plenty play and will find the hubs on the gate to align itself. Untested theory! Maybe the viewfinder can be adjusted like in the Beaulieu 4/6/7/9000 ?

I personally own a Nizo 6080 with a widened gate and it is pretty much a wash, what you get in extra space on the neg. I wouldn't bother with any of it. Especially with several full aperture 2k Super 8 scanners coming online. You can treat it as folks treat Super 35, over sample the super 8 frame at 2048 x 2048 and then re-frame in post. Shoot anamorphic for better hd output.

I personally own a Nizo 6080 with a widened gate and it is pretty much a wash, what you get in extra space on the neg. I wouldn't bother with any of it. Especially with several full aperture 2k Super 8 scanners coming online. You can treuat it as folks treat Super 35, over sample the super 8 frame at 2048 x 2048 and then re-frame in post. Shoot anamorphic for better hd output.

I personally own a Nizo 6080 with a widened gate and it is pretty much a wash, what you get in extra space on the neg. I wouldn't bother with any of it. Especially with several full aperture 2k Super 8 scanners coming online. You can treat it as folks treat Super 35, over sample the super 8 frame at 2048 x 2048 and then re-frame in post. Shoot anamorphic for better hd output.

Well it works better on different cameras. The results l get with my Canon 1014 xls are very good and there is improved resolution when you get an HD scan. The extra space l get makes a a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it works better on different cameras. The results l get with my Canon 1014 xls are very good and there is improved resolution when you get an HD scan. The extra space l get makes a a difference.

Also works better at some focal lengths than others. As one zooms in, the array inside the lens moves back, revealing the curvature of the lens housing at the front [vignetting]. The bigger the front element the better - Nikon R10 produced clean widescreen images in the wide angle [7mm?]. There's a Canon camera they made, not sure the designation, with a huuuuge front lens element - that one would be perfect for SuperDuper8.

SuperDuper8 is best if you own the telecine - use the clean shots, zoom in for the vignetted ones, import to 16:9 project, fit each shot as required.

My next Super8 feature is going to be 4:3, or maybe 1.66[?] cuz I'm all jazzed about that these days - awesome framing options! Once again though you need to bring it into a 16:9 project and fit it top to bottom, so you don't get window-boxed on youtube or wherever...

BTW, I chose the name SuperDuper 8 because it sounded silly, in an industry rife with dour seriousness....but Max8 is a better name heh.

Mitch