Archival list of all Super 8/Single 8 stock available with ratings.

Zachariah Shanahan

For someone new to the small format scene, this kind of resource can be extremely helpful. Are there any outgoing experienced people on the board willing to help write up a list?

Companies

-negative

-reversal

-B&W

etc.

I see countless threads about stock tests old and new, but it involves a lot of sifting and some of it is out of date.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Zachariel J Shanahan

Color negative

Kodak Vision3 50D
Kodak Vision3 200T
Kodak Vision3 500T

Pro8/01 (Vision2 50D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/07 (Vision3 250D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/46 (Fuji Eterna Vivid 250D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/47 (Fuji Eterna Vivid 500T, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/22 (Fuji F-64D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/92 (Fuji Reala 500D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Color reversal
Ektachrome 100D (production stopped, remaining stock available, esp. from Wittner)
Velvia 50D (slit and perfed by Wittner)
Velvia 100 (slit and perfed by Wittner)
Astia 100F (slit and perfed by Wittner)

Wittnerchrome 200D / Agfa Aviphot (slit and perfed by Wittner, on polyester base)

BW negative

AGFA APX 100 professional (slit and perfed by Wittner)
ORWO Negativfilm N 74 plus (slit and perfed by Wittner)

BW reversal
Kodak Tri-X
ORWO UN 54 (slit and perfed by Wittner)
ADOX PAN-X 100 Reverso
FOMA Fomapan R100 (slit and perfed by Wittner)
AGFA SCALA 200X professional (slit and perfed by Wittner)
WITTNER PXR 50 (slit and perfed by Wittner? Only available as bulk)

• Upvote 2

The Fomapan is cut and slit by FOMA itself. Sold as DS-8 to the public.

Who can use it or slit it themselves to fit Kaccema or others.

Wittner buys 300meter long rolls and slits and cuts these into Kodak cartridges for Witner label.

Wittner doesn't perf S8 themselves. Accordign to their website they are still thinking about getting a die and mask for their machine. So someone else is doing the perforating.

While Kodak is at it I'd like 250D too. Although Vision 3 50D is probably about the most perfect film for Super 8 possible if you are scanning.

In the next couple of days I'll be posting some Vision3 50D Super 8 clips that came off the Spectra Spirit that I then touched up on the color correction and ran through Neat Video for grain reduction. Most other Super 8 stocks, especially 500T, just look smudged and fuzzy after grain reduction. Vision3 50D has such fine grain that Neat is able to smooth it out to look like 16mm or better! Amazing stuff. Stay tuned.

• Upvote 1

Color negative

Kodak Vision3 50D

Kodak Vision3 200T

Kodak Vision3 500T

Pro8/01 (Vision2 50D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/07 (Vision3 250D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/46 (Fuji Eterna Vivid 250D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/47 (Fuji Eterna Vivid 500T, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/22 (Fuji F-64D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Pro8/92 (Fuji Reala 500D, slit and perfed by Pro8mm)

Color reversal

Ektachrome 100D (production stopped, remaining stock available, esp. from Wittner)

Velvia 50D (slit and perfed by Wittner)

Velvia 100 (slit and perfed by Wittner)

Astia 100F (slit and perfed by Wittner)

Wittnerchrome 200D / Agfa Aviphot (slit and perfed by Wittner, on polyester base)

BW negative

AGFA APX 100 professional (slit and perfed by Wittner)

ORWO Negativfilm N 74 plus (slit and perfed by Wittner)

BW reversal

Kodak Tri-X

ORWO UN 54 (slit and perfed by Wittner)

ADOX PAN-X 100 Reverso

FOMA Fomapan R100 (slit and perfed by Wittner)

AGFA SCALA 200X professional (slit and perfed by Wittner)

WITTNER PXR 50 (slit and perfed by Wittner? Only available as bulk)

Thank you very much!

I might add Retro8/Retro Enterprises is now completely out of 64T so I search for a new alternative.

Yes, from the grain the 200D is more like the Ektachrome 160s. However -as it's an Agfa-product- its colours/saturation/contrast don't look like any Kodak-product, but like a grainy Agfa Moviechrome 40:

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

• Premium Member

Yes, from the grain the 200D is more like the Ektachrome 160s. However -as it's an Agfa-product- its colours/saturation/contrast don't look like any Kodak-product, but like a grainy Agfa Moviechrome 40:

Lets hope this Agfa product is more stable than all previous products I've used from them, all my moviechrome 40 and 160 is un-watchable due to emulsion fungus, my ct18 slides have turned red, pretty sure last time i looked the 100asa slides were turning too!. No offence, but can agfa stock be trusted for longevity?

my moviechrome 40 and 160 is un-watchable due to emulsion fungus

Hi,

are you sure that it's really fungus? There have been several reports about "strange dirt" (white dots or even brown mud) on Moviechromes that wasn't fungus and that could have been simply washed away with film cleaners applied several times (sometimes even washing with distilled water helped):

http://fipra.de/filmbearbeitung/reinigung---pflege/index.html

Jörg

If anyone was wanting to buy the new AGFA 200D Super 8 reveral film stock in the USA right now, I can recomend this company. http://thereelimage.jimdo.com/our-web-showroom/

The AFGA film is very reasonably priced, IMHO.

This company also sells the Fujifilm 100D Velvia.

I have ordered and received both film stocks. You place your order online or over the phone and a couple of day later you get you film with the invoice.

fuji-100-agfa-200-super-8-film-cartridge

They also sell Fujica S8 splicers and Fujica S8 splicing tape 100-splice rolls.

If anyone was wanting to buy the new AGFA 200D Super 8 reveral film stock in the USA right now, I can recomend this company. http://thereelimage.jimdo.com/our-web-showroom/

I have ordered and received both film stocks. You place your order online or over the phone and a couple of day later you get you film with the invoice.

Certainly an enthousiast way of presenting things there :)

Can anyone please explain how Fuji 100 can be pushed to 200 and 400ASA?

Just a note on the new AGFA 200D Super 8 reversal film stock. The cartridge is notched for 250 asa film. This means that the film will be 1/3 of a stop under exposed, So I suppose you could slightly extend the developement time, thought I don't think it would make much difference.

I shoot with a Nikon R10 and the camera controls on the R10 allow you to adjust the exposure to compensate for the 1/3 stop under exposure. If you read the R10 manual, it says that even though the exposure compensation dial is marked in half stop encrements --"The control can be set at any intermediate setting for more precise adjustment."

Edited by Richard Hadfield

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Hi,

are you sure that it's really fungus? There have been several reports about "strange dirt" (white dots or even brown mud) on Moviechromes that wasn't fungus and that could have been simply washed away with film cleaners applied several times (sometimes even washing with distilled water helped):

http://fipra.de/filmbearbeitung/reinigung---pflege/index.html

Jörg

Finally got round to spinning through various rolls of agfa moviechrome 40 and 160 from 1982/3, looks like fungus to me:( sadly i canot clean this off, luckily i went the kodachrome/E160 route within a year of starting filming on super 8,

post-29386-0-30464300-1378065429_thumb.jpg