Why aren't television shows shot with anamorphic and/or shown in 2.35?

Reuel Gomez

They often are, especially on TCM. I also hate it when the film is shown in a "pan and scanned" version because it's NOT the director's vision, but especially lately, many films are projected in their original aspect ration and on DVD, sometimes they are able to see it either way. (ain't technology wonderful!). TV shows are shot for academy and sometimes on rare occasions for 9:16 but that's a legacy thing so basically you're stuck with it.

• Premium Member

Network shows had a hard enough time being convinced to go for 1.78 since there are still some standard def channels and TV sets out there, so 1.78 appears letterboxed on those -- it can even appear windowboxed on a 16x9 HDTV set, the standard def 1.78 letterboxed signal reduced to being bordered on all sides in HDTV.

So throwing 2.35 into the mix is just not ideal in the minds of a lot of broadcasters unless they have no choice (like with a scope movie). Seems OK for music videos and even some commercials though. But the general feeling is that for narrative and reality shows, the less letterboxing the better.

Little old ladies call in to complain they don't get the whole picture since there is black on the top and bottom. Once I worked on a big budget film with Peter O'Toole in a small part, it was beautifully shot in 2.35 and a certain North American broadcasting company demanded a 4/3 panscan version. A nightmare if you ask me.

Little old ladies call in to complain they don't get the whole picture since there is black on the top and bottom. Once I worked on a big budget film with Peter O'Toole in a small part, it was beautifully shot in 2.35 and a certain North American broadcasting company demanded a 4/3 panscan version. A nightmare if you ask me.

My mother does that. it drives me crazy. 'Course she also loves 3d movies. She went to see "Man Of Steel" specifically to see it in 3D so whatcha gonna do? :D She and my brother when to see Star Trek: into Darkness in an Imax theater in Phoenix and she when bananas over it. I had to smile at that. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• 3 weeks later...

... it was beautifully shot in 2.35 and a certain North American broadcasting company demanded a 4/3 panscan version. A nightmare if you ask me.

I happened to come across Fox "Classics" on cable showing BEN-HUR in 16:9. To really drive the point home, the opening titles were shown in about 2.3:1 letterbox (which is the safe area on the titles plus about a pixel) and then as soon as the titles ended CUT TO pan-scan. Ridiculous.

In the UK it's not unusual for films to be screened in the scope ratio, especially on Channel 4. Other channels tend to be rather mixed, but they usually screen in 16;9, unless the original transfer to video is 4x3. So it's possible for scope films to be transmitted on 4 x 3.

"Burton and Taylor" was transmitted in scope on BBC4

Edited by Brian Drysdale