I'm new here and got some questions

Doron Merk

Hey guys,

Some time ago i've inherited my grandfathers Paillard Bolex 16 mm, and came with a quick conclusion that it didn't work. I thought so because only one spool is turning when I press the film button.

But after taking it out of the closet again and taking a good look at it, I'm not so sure it's broken or not.

So after some good time of looking on the internet for Bolex enthusiasts, my journey leads to here.

Now for my question, if you open the Bolex you can insert two spools. If I press the button for filming only one spool is turning.

I've looked on youtube for similair paillard bolexes but I couldn't quite find the same one as mine, but all the ones I saw on youtube both spools were turning. Maybe mine only needs to turn one?

I hope you enthusiasts can help me out!

p.s. Does any one know the official site of bolex? Or doesn't excist any more?

Which spool is turning? It should be just the take up if no spool with film is above. Have you tried getting some exposed film and spooling it onto a daylight spool and threading it through the gate and to the take up spool? I am pretty sure that only the take up spool turns, if the film is threaded and attached to it only then both spools turn as they are now connected with film.

Pav

• Premium Member

I'm also pretty sure, as Pav is, that just the take up spool turns in a bolex. It's much more simple mechanically that way and it works. Get some test film and run it though as mentioned and i bet it "works." whether it actually can shoot images with, however, will take shooting and posting actual neg through it.

Laziness might be due to not being cleaned and lubed for a while. I myself sent my Bolex H16 for CLA (=Clean, Lube, Adjust) some weeks ago due to it not running that well. Verdict? 60 years worth of dirt.

I don't know whether your Bolex is a reflex one or non-reflex like mine but either way they are nice pieces of mechanical marvel. Should be good choice for shooting some color reversal as well, as at the moment there is only polyester based film material (AGFA 200D) available. The good thing about spring wound motor is that you quite probably won't be able to break your camera even if that polyester material jams.. :)

Laziness might be due to not being cleaned and lubed for a while. I myself sent my Bolex H16 for CLA (=Clean, Lube, Adjust) some weeks ago due to it not running that well. Verdict? 60 years worth of dirt.

I don't know whether your Bolex is a reflex one or non-reflex like mine but either way they are nice pieces of mechanical marvel. Should be good choice for shooting some color reversal as well, as at the moment there is only polyester based film material (AGFA 200D) available. The good thing about spring wound motor is that you quite probably won't be able to break your camera even if that polyester material jams.. :)

Hey,

thanks for your reply! Did you send your H16 for CLA with warranty?

Because I still have all the paperwork from my grandfather with all the warrant papers.

Hey,

thanks for your reply! Did you send your H16 for CLA with warranty?

Because I still have all the paperwork from my grandfather with all the warrant papers.

I'm afraid that after all these decades all original warranty by Bolex has quite probably expired. I sent my camera over to an experienced camera technician who repairs all kinds of mechanical cameras, still photography and cine cameras. He estimated it to cost about 80 EUR ($105) to CLA.

Where are you located? I'm sure someone can help you find a good technician near you.

Edited by Heikki Repo

Well, this is the first company I can remember but they might either not service old Bolex cameras or it might be considerably more expensive than the place I used -- either way, you could ask about it: http://www.etkon.com/

Some other people might know a good place and people to send your camera to (or even be those people themselves!). If you know German you could also ask about it here: http://www.filmvorfuehrer.de/forum/13-schmalfilm/

There are many good companies in the central Europe I have never even heard of but which are closer to you and can help you.

• 2 months later...
WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight

Here is a place that sells film for your camera. I would suggest you or a professional check out the shutter, etc. and make sure it works before running film through it. As you can see, it will save you close to 200 dollars if the camera turns out to be damaged or defective.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/635730-USA/Kodak_1382688_Vision3_250D_7207_16mm.html

B&H deals with a bunch of professionals, including the major news networks for their supplies. They have a bunch of film related stuff on their site too. Matte boxes, filters, tripods. Even a budget Steadycam type camera stabilizer. Good luck and have fun with that camera. I owned an old Bell and Howell years ago and sold it cheap only to find the thing was worth BIG money later on! Still mad at myself for that one ...