Arriflex 16BL help

Gareth Blackstock

I have been shooting super8 for awhile and I recently gave it away for awhile. Now I see this Arriflex 16 BL for sale and I want it!

trouble is I have been doing a little internet research on the model, and while I am happy with it's limitations etc. what is the go with the film transport mechanisms, on the net I see around 3 different types, the camera I want to buy is below. Is this film transport normal for this camera, is this a sound camera? If so, will it be fine using normal tri-x silent film stock? Do I have to remove the sound mechanisms?

I am somewhat new to 16mm, so a heads up would be appreciated...

cheers, Gareth

post-2977-0-22056500-1380959989_thumb.jpg

post-2977-0-78798200-1380960000_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is a single-system module but it's removeable. There are various manuals about which tell you how to do it.

It recorded onto film with a magnetic stripe but that hasn't been made for years.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Upvote 1

Yes, the corrosion looks a bit worse than I'd like to see, Ideally you should inspect the camera and have a bit in reserve for servicing it. The periscope viewfinder on this particulate camera makes it a bit easier to handhold than the straight viewfinder.

Thanks for the feedback. The camera is being sold as non working, although the seller states it does run, he also says it has not been servised or used in twenty years, hence the cheap price.

While I intend on filming with it, I understand it will need to be tidied up. Servicing perhaps does not exist for these cameras in australia.....I like a challenge.

Thanks for the help, I will see how the auction goes.

Cheers, gareth

• Premium Member

Corrosion and film cameras are a bad combination. Unless it's dirt cheap and you really want the challenge of cleaning it up (with the likelihood of corrosion affecting electronic reliability, fungus in the optics etc) I'd avoid this one. I've seen pretty clean 16BL kits go for as little as $500 lately, far more serviceable SRs for $1000, or even S16 PL mount SR2s and 3s for $2000 - 2500. It's a buyer's market, you don't have to settle for rusty, untested cameras.

I'm pretty sure the only place in Australia anymore that is willing and able to service older Arriflex models is the Melbourne branch of Cameraquip (meaning me). Deakin Uni's film dept used to have a few 16 BLs which they occasionally brought in for repair, but they may have sold them by now. Parts for these cameras are scarce, and the blimp can make working on the lenses a pain (especially if they're corroded in). It's the Arriflex model I'd least recommend.

You're in Melbourne right? If you're interested in 16mm cameras, you're welcome to come into Cameraquip and get familiar with some working models we have (Sts, BLs, SRs, Bolexes etc). I'd be happy to show you around.

Hello,

You are right on the button about corrosion in cameras, the seller has stated the camera has sat on a shelf for 20 years. He sent some pictures of the lens, looks good there. He also stated that he has used the camera, and it used to belong to a T.V station.

If the price is right, I will go for most cameras, I have been repairing Super8 cameras for awhile and I am hoping the BL would be easier to fix if it needs work. Otherwise I may be coming to you and getting the "I told you so" look :)

I used to live in Melbourne, rented Super8 cameras for awhile, but have now moved into the countryside, at least three hours away from your store, and if this camera stays cheap I will be getting into 16mm.

Also, if it stays cheap it will be a good entry level camera I think.

Cheers, Gareth

• 11 months later...