FRESH 16mm NEGATIVE B&W - PRODUCTION START

I need you to help me with the following survey (and also I'm waiting for your questions!):

1. Is this an affordable price? he he

2. Which film speed you use most ?

3. How many cans you will buy as the first order?

4. How many cans (800' of film) you think you'll buy/ month at this price?

5. Are you interested in buying the processing chemicals for it?

Please replay to this post as in the bellow example:

1. yes

2. 100

3. 1

4. 1 times/month

5. NO

OK. Thanks for your input!

Cheers!

Valerian,

Just to clear, are you taking a yes to question 3 to be a commitment to buy or as an expression of interest.

Most people will want to see processed samples before they buy. If there are none, then they need to know that, to get comfortable with accepting those risks.

To protect your enterprise, or for whatever other reasons, you are not very forthcomming with information. I'm sure several others are wondering the following questions...

- Is this in fact an existing stock formulation from a recent or existing manufacturer of MP film?

- If not, what development and testing has been done for this stock?

- If you are ready to sell this stock then any reasonable person assumes that test runs and evaluation has been done for it. Can we see the results? Some direct evaluation of the stock characteristics by the potential customers, by seeing samples, is a good, healthy, and probably a nescessary step.

- Do test samples exist? If not, why not be straight forward and forthcoming about that? You will still get some support. If samples do exist, what reason is there not to share.

This is not impatience at work, it's simple common sense at work.

Withholding information, or a too carefull grooming of our perceptions of where you are in the process, will ultimately hurt.

So just open the floodgates and tell us all. You may find allies.

All the best,

Gregg.

Valerian,

Just to clear, are you taking a yes to question 3 to be a commitment to buy or as an expression of interest.

Most people will want to see processed samples before they buy. If there are none, then they need to know that, to get comfortable with accepting those risks.

To protect your enterprise, or for whatever other reasons, you are not very forthcomming with information. I'm sure several others are wondering the following questions...

- Is this in fact an existing stock formulation from a recent or existing manufacturer of MP film?

- If not, what development and testing has been done for this stock?

- If you are ready to sell this stock then any reasonable person assumes that test runs and evaluation has been done for it. Can we see the results? Some direct evaluation of the stock characteristics by the potential customers, by seeing samples, is a good, healthy, and probably a nescessary step.

- Do test samples exist? If not, why not be straight forward and forthcoming about that? You will still get some support. If samples do exist, what reason is there not to share.

This is not impatience at work, it's simple common sense at work.

Withholding information, or a too carefull grooming of our perceptions of where you are in the process, will ultimately hurt.

So just open the floodgates and tell us all. You may find allies.

All the best,

Gregg.

Dear Gregg,

I bet that none of your friends want to play cards with you! Why? Because you always whining that they are not showing you what cards they hold in their hands! he he he

For God sake Gregg, why don't you understand (like all the people on this post do) that this is just the beginning of a project and that the things that I have to show, I show to everyone (i.e. the pdf files ) and the things that I can't show or reveal... I just can't show...

Why in the world you are the only one that needs to stick your finger in my wound to make sure that it's a wound! Can't you see that I'm bleeding, Thomas ? he he he

You are assuming right this time...the answer to the question 3 is not a commitment to buy! I'm just interested at this point of the development on how many peoples are interested in buying this stuff!

To be interested in buying something doesn't mean necessarily that you will buy the thing, but there is a certain disposition to buy the object, a certain need of the object...

To cut to the chase, at his stage of the project I'm interested in how many people need this product and if the price is a good one for a product like this.

At this stage the only thing that I can guarantee is that the product will meet the tech specs presented in the pdf files (that can be downloaded from here: http:/valeriansfreshfilm.com)

So, those being said, please try not to worry and make thrilling scenarios (placing me in a tent (in winter time!) somewhere in the cold Uzbekistan, trying to scam the 16mm film community!)

I'm really impressed by your interest into this matter, but please understand that these are the developing steps that are not necessarily the ones that you've thought at...

At the next stage of the development, I will provide you samples and what ever is necessary just to have your finger out of my wound! he he he

Cheers,

Valerian

• Premium Member

I so rarely shoot 16mm -- the last time was in the late 1990's I think -- and I've never owned any cameras, so I would have a hard time estimating any kind of use, it would be on some unknown future project that needed a 16mm b&w sequence in it.

Here's mine. A lot depends on how the first roll looks, and how accurate the perfs are and so on. Intriguing !

1. Yes

2. 100

3. 1

4. 3 times a year ?

5. No

Thanks for the input! I can assure you that, since this film is made in a specialized film production facility, the product will have all the standard motion pictures 16mm film tech specs.

With your can = 23 to go (out of 34)

• Premium Member

Thanks for the input! I can assure you that, since this film is made in a specialized film production facility, the product will have all the standard motion pictures 16mm film tech specs.

With your can = 23 to go (out of 34)

Valerian,

Do you have a website for this operation?

• Premium Member

http:/valeriansfreshfilm.com

It is under construction (not many to put on it at this time...he he) but you can download the film's specs there.

Cheers,

Valerian

Thanks. That's helpful but I would amend your statement a bit. When you mention "the digital evil" it sounds a little too much like some kind of religious fanaticism. Not the best way to attract potential customers.

Thanks. That's helpful but I would amend your statement a bit. When you mention "the digital evil" it sounds a little too much like some kind of religious fanaticism. Not the best way to attract potential customers.

Come on!! The "digital evil" thing was followed by "he he" meaning that it supposed to be a joke!!...well, you may be right...it is not good to mess with the "digital evil" (a joke too! don't get mad on me!) so I'll remove it from my statement...

Thanks anyway!

Valerian

1: Yes, I quess...

2: Kodak v3 500t, but never yet shoot b&w so depends on the grain...

3: 1

4: Between 1-20 tells a year, depending on projects and how I like it.

5: no, but maybe a mail-in developing service could be offered? My lab only does color negative film...

I'm exited to see projects for new films, for analog stills theres just been two Kickstarters (one successful, Film Ferrania). I'm doing what I can do be able to shoot as much film as possible. I'm probably about to sell my Arriflex SRII to buy a Aaton a-minima, so I'd have to re-spool your film to use it. Any thoughts about film thickness and if it could be a problem with the a-minima?

Good luck with your project!

1: Yes, I quess...

2: Kodak v3 500t, but never yet shoot b&w so depends on the grain...

3: 1

4: Between 1-20 tells a year, depending on projects and how I like it.

5: no, but maybe a mail-in developing service could be offered? My lab only does color negative film...

I'm exited to see projects for new films, for analog stills theres just been two Kickstarters (one successful, Film Ferrania). I'm doing what I can do be able to shoot as much film as possible. I'm probably about to sell my Arriflex SRII to buy a Aaton a-minima, so I'd have to re-spool your film to use it. Any thoughts about film thickness and if it could be a problem with the a-minima?

Good luck with your project!

My opinion: Buy what ever you wanna buy, but don't sell the Arriflex! he he

The film thickness is standard 0.125 mm. If you have no problem with the Kodak ones, there should be no problem with this one too.

Thanks for the input! 1 can for you = 22 to go (out of 34)

Thanks for the good wishes!

Best wishes to you too with shooting on film!

PS. Here is one say that I found it on the internet (and I'm loving it!)

The film will live forever because every video guy wants to make a "film look" to his video but you'll never find a film guy who wants to make a "video look" to his film!!

Absolutely awesome and true say! he he

Though the general goofiness of your presentation makes me leery of the possibility of this whole thing I'll bite:

1. Yes

2. 100/200

3. 1

4. 1

5. Depends on what the chemicals are.

I'm glad that Gregg brought up the questions that he did because I think he's right to put the general concerns many of us will have out there.

Though the general goofiness of your presentation makes me leery of the possibility of this whole thing I'll bite:

1. Yes

2. 100/200

3. 1

4. 1

5. Depends on what the chemicals are.

I'm glad that Gregg brought up the questions that he did because I think he's right to put the general concerns many of us will have out there.

Quite a rude comment but thanks for your interest!

As Gregg said about this site, "The tone of the social environment is very liberal" hence the here and there goofiness of my presentation...

And also if you read this post carefully, you'll see that most of his questions were answered!

Anyways I got you in with 1 can = 21 to go (out of 34)

Sorry, I apologize. Mainly I think for starting a business, as Bill pointed out above, that there are certain modes that would be preferable to get people to take it seriously. That said, I'm happy to support people who are trying to keep analog alive.

Apologize accepted!

I'm terribly sorry that I have to write through this post what I have to say as opposed to have a face to face conversation with each of you!

I very much like enjoying life (and I'm not talking about partying or something...)! Just enjoying the plain everyday's beauty that comes with it! Therefore my structure is of a funny joyful guy who's having hard time being a stiff business corporate looking guy, as sometimes I'm expected to be! My bad, but I can't be that way! In fact, I hate everything that is false and being a cold blooded corporate guy type is false!

Therefore I truly think that even the serious things can be presented in a cheerful way! So, since this "presentation" of a new product was made by me, it surely has some goofiness in it but it is an intended one!

So let's finish here the auto psychoanalysis! I'm that kind of guy that I don't need a shrink! The shrink needs me! he he

Now I have to apologize for my above dissertation! he he

You can see from the technical specs of the product that the product is as "serious" as a Kodak one! he he

Cheers,

Valerian

• Premium Member

No, my friend. Eastman-Kodak, Agfa-Gevaert, Fuji Photo Film on one side and the rest of the film manufacturers on the other side are worlds apart. Harman Technology is half way in between.

Efke went under because there was no innovation with them. Foma Bohemia belongs to a Moscow based chemical trust. FilmoTec in Wolfen is the most serious among the small enterprises. You cannot compare the technical competitiveness of, say Foma, with, say the Mortsel works. Eastman-Kodak got an own workshop for maintaining their perforators back in the 1910s directly from Bell & Howell Co. The tradition of the Bell & Howell perforator had been upheld there until today, more or less. Also, some know-how about cellulose triacetate flows to and fro between base manufacturing and conversion.

Ilford was not interested in the motion-picture business although they could have taken a lot from EKC, print and duplicating films for instance. They never investigated on a black-and-white reversal stock, either. The Ferrania people don’t seem to plan on anything black and white. Adox, finally, they have the movie film manufacture outsorced with the exception of perforating.

Svema, Ukraine, showed no trace of marketing actions in the West, neither Foma Bohemia. Both firms had/have nice reversal films but photo dealers cannot expect anything from those houses as a selling aid, no big dummy boxes for the shop window, no slides for a local cinema ad, not even 50-ft. or 25-ft. film samples for, say, a little endless projection.

post-35633-0-85179800-1415629361_thumb.jpg

You have taken at least some marketing endeavour, there is a logo,

although not so very catchy. A reel, 35-mm. film flying from it, uhm, is it 35mm film? No.

Haven’t we all seen a film reel, yet? No.

Nothing’s lost. You can still explode with creativity. Foma films come in boxes of Eastern-bloc aesthetics,

post-35633-0-43011800-1415630147_thumb.jpg

who is charmed by that?

post-35633-0-57088600-1415630507_thumb.jpg

These have the appearance of cigarette packs, haven’t they?

Unbeaten in simplicity, clarity, warmth:

post-35633-0-90602100-1415631241_thumb.jpg

To me it’s no longer fun when it comes to $£€Fr. I want to know whether the films are made in accordance with ISO 69, when they expire, what length is in there precisely, which developer formula is recommended.

Of course do we know what’s in the box, trained people can tell by the sensitometric curves right away. But we want to be nabbed elegantly!

Hehe

• Upvote 1

Simon, I'm impressed! You sure know what you're talking about! Respect!

I totally agree that Kodak is the best right now on the market, but they are too expensive ...

However, you are definitely wrong when you're criticizing my logo!! he he

It is not my final logo! It is just something I instantly made to place it on the web page as a link! I took the reel image from the internet only as a film flavor design, nothing more.

You just wait to see my REAL label!! You've never seen a beauty like that!! he he he

Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,

Valerian