Arri Alexa

bledarcili

if they are doing lots of vfx/plates/octacopter/movi stuff it is very understandable

Alexa has been used on a lot of the biggest VFX spectacle movies.

R,

I've seen the Amira in test at my job, looks promising!

What I've seen from it is:

About the same size, a bit shorter, but much, MUCH lighter.

Rugged, not waterproof, but definitely splashproof.

200fps

Doesn't do 4k yet, the update will come by the end of spring 2015 (as the owner told me)

The LCD screen with the viewfinder is crap, it is not backlit and you will lose the screen if you look at it from a larger angle. They will make an OLED one this year, but it's gonna be a ++ (around 5k)

Cfast card are less expensive then SxS, which Arri now has the exclusivity off, and tripled the price for it.

• Premium Member

I've seen the Amira in test at my job, looks promising!

What I've seen from it is:

About the same size, a bit shorter, but much, MUCH lighter.

Rugged, not waterproof, but definitely splashproof.

200fps

Doesn't do 4k yet, the update will come by the end of spring 2015 (as the owner told me)

The LCD screen with the viewfinder is crap, it is not backlit and you will lose the screen if you look at it from a larger angle. They will make an OLED one this year, but it's gonna be a ++ (around 5k)

Cfast card are less expensive then SxS, which Arri now has the exclusivity off, and tripled the price for it.

Nice cameras, but expensive. But I suppose they are seen as bargains for any small-to-mid-sized production companies.

• Premium Member

They're expensive by modern standards, but that's a fairly recent occurrence. I think it's important to remember that high-end digital cinematography cameras used to cost $250k. Red destroyed that market - perhaps to the benefit of us all, although I hope that we don't end up with a race to the bottom.

P

Presumably that is some of the famous c.com humour we are known for?

R,

Funny or not, Reduser is pretty much the busiest cine gear classifieds these days. I've seen a few Alexa EVs listed in the last month. A lot of Alexa owners are selling EVs and upgrading to Amiras or XTs.

I wouldn't call that a bargain. If it would have been offered in the price range of Sony F55s, it would have probably sold like hot bread buns.

When the Amira pricing was first announced, I had a dour view on it as well. The equation changed when they announced the UHD upgrade.

I just sold my F55 that I had for almost 2 years for an Amira, and I've seen quite a few of them go out the door at Abel. I don't know whether it's the truth or not, but from my conversations with others, they do appear to be selling like hotcakes.