New 2.20 Aspect Ratio Standard for Tomorrowland

• Premium Member

I've shipped many DCP's of final products and we always up sample or down sample to 2k.

I don't believe 2k projectors can read 4k files. However, the hard drive probably contains both 2k and 4k versions. So the theater can upload whatever version they have the license for.

Edited by Tyler Purcell

Yep, I absolutely saw it in 2k. Very few theaters have 4k projectors.

If Arclight's using 2K, just like everyone else, what makes them the premier theater chain in Southern California?

About the dynamic range, that could have been from them maxing out contrast for Dolby Vision, if they didn't do a separate grade for standard projection. (I'm assuming they didn't.)

• Premium Member

If Arclight's using 2K, just like everyone else, what makes them the premier theater chain in Southern California?

Assigned seating, mostly adults due to the price of admission, clean theaters, clean screens, perfect image and sound every single time and most importantly, they've built the theaters properly for 2.40:1 aspect ratio. So you don't get theaters which are tall and narrow, you get threatens which are wide and short, which is very nice and well thought out. Arclight also has the Cinerama theater in Hollywood, which unfortunately has horrible digital projection because the lens they have, doesn't fit the contour of the screen. So I only go there for film screenings because they have a 35/70 projector and use it all the time. :)

In terms of the sony projectors… they have other issues due to the refresh speed of their imager. DLP is extremely fast AND accurate in it's 3 chip D-Cinema configuration.

• 9 months later...

As far as "H8ful Eight" in 70mm is concerned, they just left the screen at the 1.85 size, unmated when they projected it at the Cinemark.

Typical priorities for a Cinemark, gotta say. Really surprised they had the audacity to even run film again, after what they pulled with the Unions.

I can't really see the allure of 2.20 vs. 2.35/9 just like the difference between 1.78 and 1.85 is subtle. What do they even do for that, just a slight crop?

I've never seen a slight black letterboxing on any HDTV movie showings, even though I know there's some cropping going on.