How many minutes of film would you need to make a 90 minute feature?

If you're making a feature film aiming at a 90 minute length, how much film should you plan on using? Disregard extra needed for stunts or massive special effects. I know the shooting ratio is generally 3:1 but you should have plenty of feet ready for shots that just aren't working or when actors really have difficulty with a scene. How much would you guys need to feel comfortable?

Very few feature films would have a shooting ratio of 3:1. Something like 10:1 or 12:1 is more realistic with modern fast cutting, if not higher.

You can get lower shooting ratios if you've got a John Ford style and very experienced actors who can give a performance and have a highly developed sense of timing,

• Premium Member

3:1 is a pretty conservative ratio - I'm not saying it can't be done but will be pretty limited. It depends on the film too. I wouldn't go below at least 5:1 but 7:1 or 10:1 is more ideal for sure.

Totally agree. Plus you have to account for flashed rolls, technical issues (e.g., a light blowing out in the middle of a take,) actors flubbing their lines or the director just wanting to try different things and doing multiple takes.

• Premium Member

I've gone as low as 7:1 on a feature and I know one guy who managed a 5:1 ratio, so it's possible but at that point, you are almost doing only one take of many set-ups and cutting a lot in camera. On the 7:1 feature we only shot what was storyboarded with almost no overlapping coverage but we did multiple takes.

• Premium Member

Well believe it or not, if you do proper coverage, the minimal ratio would be 5:1. The moment you add one flubbed line, you increase that ratio. So a conservative ratio on a scripted feature would be around 8:1. I always budget for 10:1 and a lot of my friends feel 10:1 is conservative, but I don't feel the same way. If you have good actors, storyboards and a tight shooting unit, you can shoot 10:1 without a problem.

10:1 ratio would be 900min of stock:

4 perf 35mm = 80,000 ft (80 rolls of film)

3 perf 35mm = 64,000 ft (64 rolls of film)

2 perf 35mm = 40,000 ft (40 rolls of film)

16mm = 32,000 ft (81 rolls of film)

10:1 ratio would be 900min of stock:

4 perf 35mm = 80,000 ft (80 rolls of film)

3 perf 35mm = 64,000 ft (64 rolls of film)

2 perf 35mm = 40,000 ft (40 rolls of film)

16mm = 32,000 ft (81 rolls of film)

It should be noted that for these numbers the 35mm rolls in question are 1000' rolls and 16mm are 400'

Edited by Kenny N Suleimanagich