Grid Cloth in Other Languages

Outside the film industry, it's ripstop nylon.

It's not nylon. I don't know what it is, but I have both ripstop nylon and gridcloth in my kit, and they are definitely different.

There was another thread where someone suggested that it was in fact known as sail cloth.

• Premium Member

I think you're just seeing different grades of ripstop nylon. It comes in a lot of different weights.The texture does slightly alter if it's had the fireproofing done which... it really should have.

P

• Premium Member

Sail cloth comes in nylon and polyester -- I thought they were the same thing but apparently there's a difference:

http://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Marine-Fabric/Sailcloth-Fabric

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Nylon_vs_Polyester

This page says that grid cloth is sail cloth, which is reinforced with nylon, so maybe it's polyester and nylon blended?

http://www.rosebrand.com/subcategory177/fabric-by-use-diffusion.aspx

The texture does slightly alter if it's had the fireproofing done

That could account for the difference. The LEE 1/4 grid that I have has a very coarse, crackly feel to it, and makes a lot of noise in the wind. The silent grid appears to be more like a poly silk mixture.

I'm sure that will come as something of a surprise to their Sales Manager.

I have rolls of both LEE 462 Quiet Light Grid, and 432 Light Grid in my kit.

.....and your point is? Lee sell gridcloth, no earth shattering news there. Their primary business is lighting gels. If you want to school yourself in the fabrics used in rags, you speak either with a company that makes rags or one that does repair and recovers.

.....and your point is? Lee sell gridcloth, no earth shattering news there. Their primary business is lighting gels. If you want to school yourself in the fabrics used in rags, you speak either with a company that makes rags or one that does repair and recovers.

I'm not sure where the animosity is coming from, but in a conversation about what gridcloth is actually made of, I fail to see how asking the people who manufacture and sell it is somehow irrelevant.

In Italy grid cloth it's grid cloth we usually use othEr language therms Not like French.

The hylarious Thing it's how People over 40 years or non English spoken called It

LiKe glic cloc or Greed clok or cli clo'

I Can write a Book with example of equipment lists with The Most Strange terminology, i've seen also from important Dp Things like keno flu or clic click or Ding ding (for inkie dinky) or skeit welch for skate wheels.

Leonardo Brocato

Gaffer Rome italy