Hitler's Rant about the Canon 5DMK4 Video Features

Igor Trajkovski

And again..

Robin R Probyn, on 01 Sept 2016 - 4:26 PM, said:

snapback.png

Why is it always the other guys stuff is crap.. mmm?

Dude, I shot and serviced Sony for over a decade. I can say anything I want about them.

Theres more irony here than the best Shakespeare could ever hope to achieve..

• rep_up.png
  • rep_down.png

• Premium Member

Now this cant be read any other way.. ALL the cameraman.. Shot for 30 plus years.. don't know what they are doing.. YOU wrote this man..

Ohh I see your confusion! I'm a creative person and I'm not good with language. You used the word unfathomable earlier and I thought it was used in reference to something being impossible. As in, it's impossible (unfathomable) that someone with 30 years of experience doesn't know what they're doing, so it's assumed they do.

In that context do you understand what I was trying to say with my earlier statement you take so much anger from? Do you know that other people on this planet, may use the language improperly.

Your next hissy fit is unnecessary. It always amazes me how much anger people have.

You used the word unfathomable first not me.. what did you mean by it then.. you were referring to ,yet again all the DP,s who didn't know what were doing.. I used it after you.. in irony obviously not detected .. nothing to do with being bad at words or language.. now your really clutching at straws.. yes I would assume its impossible that every DP you work with is crap an doesn't know what they are doing.. this is what you wont answer .. why is that.. there are only two options.. either they all do know what they are doing and you don't.. or you do know what you are doing and you are exclusively working on the very very lowest rung of productions where every DP is totally clueless just taken off the street..

Im just wanting an answer to my question.. if you say all the DP,s you work with are crap.. Inquiring minds want to know why.. because TBH I really wonder what it is you do know that they all don't.. because the evidence thus far seems to point the other way..

eg High dynamic range codec.. yeah what does that mean.. have you ever actually shot LOG in your life.. no you haven't have you.. maybe a bit of introspection before dissing everyone else..

• Premium Member

Those are not codecs they are image files and are not high dynamic range in and of themselves. Are you sure you meant to say high dynamic range codec?.

A compression type that uses mathematical equation of moving images can be considered a "codec". Yes it's true these two file systems are frame based, but they could be wrapped in a single file which is what Red did with Red Code.

JPEG and Tiff as compression types can compress and store a greater gamut and bit depth then any other standard moving image codec we currently use.

I happen to use the Tiff flavor personally, which is CinemaDNG.

You are correct in that jpg and tiff are codec's, interesting as I have never thought of it that way before since they are image formats and I tend to think of codecs as being for movie formats. However they still have nothing to do with dynamic range what so ever.

JPEG and Tiff as compression types can compress and store a greater gamut and bit depth then any other standard moving image codec we currently use.

JPEG and Tiff compression have nothing to with color gamut either. I am reading between the lines here and assuming you mean you use JPEG when shooting on Red and Tiff when shooting BM.

Edited by David Hessel

• Premium Member

JPEG and Tiff compression have nothing to with color gamut either. I am reading between the lines here and assuming you mean you use JPEG when shooting on Red and Tiff when shooting BM.

From my understanding, the industry uses JPEG and Tiff partly due to their higher color gamut and ability to accept higher bit depth images. Currently, the max we can do outside of those two codec's is REC 2020 14 bit. The current RED Code is a 16 bit format with a wider gamut then REC 2020.

Remember, JPEG is the standard for DCP playback as well. So it's not JUST a camera codec, it's also the delivery codec. Adobe's CinemaDNG, based on Tiff, isn't quite as efficient and doesn't have the infrastructure jpeg has. So it's been relegated to a 2nd tier codec. With that being said, Tiff does have some benefits, one of them being it's ability to separate each color in a true RGB system. This is what RED had to develop when they designed Red Code and it's NOT an inherent JPEG trait.

I'm pretty sure DCP uses the compressed color space JPEG2000 variation of the format, not like Red Code.