Great Article From Phil Rhodes!

If I may be so bold as to say so, this is the sort of film I think we need more of made in Australia. Earthy, friendly, on-location type movies like they used to be, with low or no CGI, that have a positive message.They are being made, but just not as much as formerly as far as I can see. Popular films. A movie you can go to no matter who you are, get something out of it and be genuinely entertained whether you're adult or child. Walk out of the theatre feeling more fulfilled than you were when you went in. Perhaps I wax too lyrically but for me that's a good goal or model to follow in filmmaking. Even dark noir sort of films of decades past have a positive theme behind all the darkness. There wasn't this sort of meaningless angst that society seems to currently struggle with. This straining after some sort of new Pagan belief. I don't buy it. It's not new, anyway, it's as old as the hills.

That's why Lucas and Spielberg were so great and maybe still are so great. It's a big world - let's celebrate being alive and being human beings. That's it, I won't comment any more. It's possible I just need to go and see more contemporary movies at the cinema. But I do find a lot of the vision of humanity at the cinema currently too dark and uninteresting a lot of the time. Just too ..... uber-urban and off the planet, in some sort of dark la la land of over-psyched musings on existence. Okay, I haven't seen 'mother!' and aren't going to. I admit it. Having said that, I'm all for free artistic expression and different kinds of movies. I just think producers shouldn't be surprised if they end up costing a lot of money rather than making it.

Good article, well-written.

Just to illustrate a little of what I mean, meaning I'm not advocating for always-bright movies about Skippy (an Australian series featuring a kangaroo): A very dark movie of the 70's, when Hollywood was passing through one of its occasional dark and gloomy periods focusing on disaster and decay, and that actually had a truly uplifting theme of humanity in it, and in a lot of ways was beautiful, is Soylent Green starring Edward G. Robinson and Charlton Heston. You see something of the tragedy and beauty of the human condition in that flick. It was low budget but a real gem in my opinion.

When you get a bad review, take a picture of the article printed out with stacks of hundred dollar bills on top of it.

Well Macks that is a whole new chapter that is about to begin. The movie is 100% wrapped and the last day of the final mix was yesterday. Here we are in post audio at Tattersall Sound, Toronto.

post-4653-0-40083000-1505961725_thumb.jpg