Jump to content

In Reverence of Light by Sven Nykvist - English edition?


Recommended Posts

  • Premium Member

I have it in Spanish, bought it in a second hand store many years ago. 

I had always thought that being a book from Nykvist it was already translated to English, it surprises me that it is not!.
It is a collection of Nykvist's memories from his childhood to his movies in Hollywood sprinkled with a lot of funny anecdotes. 

He also talks about the "Nordic Light" and the way he seeks simplicity yet perfection in all his work, but the simpler the better and that he is always trying to look for the real, truthful light which led him to use less lights and take advantage of the available light on the locations.

It is a similar book to that of Nestor Almendros, A Man With A Camera.

Alternatively you could watch the doc about Nykvist! 😊 

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Keeps-Company-Sven-Nykvist/dp/B00I2U8YJE

And you can read a bit of it in English on the following website:

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/documentary-sven-nykvists-lighting-process-sacrifice/

Anyways, if you happen to understand Spanish I have it on PDF as well 😊 

Have a lovely day.

Edited by Miguel Angel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Miguel! I've seen the doc. Brilliant. Unfortunately I can't read Spanish. Thanks for the offer!

1 hour ago, Miguel Angel said:

I have it in Spanish, bought it in a second hand store many years ago. 

I had always thought that being a book from Nykvist it was already translated to English, it surprises me that it is not!.
It is a collection of Nykvist's memories from his childhood to his movies in Hollywood sprinkled with a lot of funny anecdotes. 

He also talks about the "Nordic Light" and the way he seeks simplicity yet perfection in all his work, but the simpler the better and that he is always trying to look for the real, truthful light which led him to use less lights and take advantage of the available light on the locations.

It is a similar book to that of Nestor Almendros, A Man With A Camera.

Alternatively you could watch the doc about Nykvist! 😊 

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Keeps-Company-Sven-Nykvist/dp/B00I2U8YJE

And you can read a bit of it in English on the following website:

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/documentary-sven-nykvists-lighting-process-sacrifice/

Anyways, if you happen to understand Spanish I have it on PDF as well 😊 

Have a lovely day.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/29/2020 at 7:57 PM, Xavier Cunilleras said:

Thanks Miguel, just downloaded the book

 

 

On 5/31/2020 at 12:35 AM, Jordan Beard said:

Thanks Miguel!

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it! 😊 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
8 hours ago, Roly Osborne said:

Also downloaded. Gracias, Miguel Ángel

You're more than welcome Roly! 

I have actually started translating it in English, maybe I'll finish it by the end of the year! 😄 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Miguel Angel said:

You're more than welcome Roly! 

I have actually started translating it in English, maybe I'll finish it by the end of the year! 😄 

¡Pos buena suerte majo!

My "other" job is a translator. It ain't easy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

I also downloaded the Spanish PDF just to save it, since I just went down a rabbit hole of cinematography books that I have never read and would love to pick up!  Thanks for sharing that with us. 

Please keep us posted on your progress if you decide to continue translating this, as I'm sure many of us would be eternally grateful.  

On another note, so many of these books are so rare/expensive!  Storaro's Writing with Light goes for $500!  A Man with a Camera is almost 200!  Guess I should start saving...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
On 11/7/2020 at 10:29 PM, Andrew Trost said:

I also downloaded the Spanish PDF just to save it, since I just went down a rabbit hole of cinematography books that I have never read and would love to pick up!  Thanks for sharing that with us. 

Please keep us posted on your progress if you decide to continue translating this, as I'm sure many of us would be eternally grateful.  

On another note, so many of these books are so rare/expensive!  Storaro's Writing with Light goes for $500!  A Man with a Camera is almost 200!  Guess I should start saving...

 

I'm translating it.. veeeery slowly! 

I'm happy I bought all the books I knew about cinematographers nearly 20 years ago 😄 .. they seem like a great investment now ha!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...