Arri SR2 super 16 conversion

Gwilym Evans

Hello, does anyone know what companies provide an Arri SR2 super 16 conversion and how much would it cost? I have tried visual products, az-spectrum and Du-All Camera, but no luck. I live in London, UK. Cheers

• Premium Member

I don’t think you’ll find anyone doing S16 conversions of Arri SRs. They need either the mirror or the movement modified to cover the expanded frame, the front needs to be replaced or machined to recentred PL, as well as the usual machining of gate, rollers and sprockets plus mag modification. These are precision machines, so conversions need to be done properly or you’ll end up turning a pro camera into a door stop. It used to cost around 10K 20 years ago. 

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Gwilym Evans said:

Hello, does anyone know what companies provide an Arri SR2 super 16 conversion and how much would it cost? I have tried visual products, az-spectrum and Du-All Camera, but no luck. I live in London, UK. Cheers

When I visited Georg Bogner in Munich a month ago, he had just finished converting an SR to Super 16. He is not expensive either, well worth doing. He's one of the finest Arri technicians not at Arri when it comes to analog cameras. Georg is the inventor of the "180degree mirror method"

http://www.cameraservice-bogner.de/album_5-2-3_004.htm

Edited by Uli Meyer
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Jorge Diaz-Amador might still have some conversion parts but I dont know if he will do the conversion. I think the last time he and I talked about it he basically had 1 kit worth of conversion parts minus the s16 fiber screen. hes kinda sorta retired from doing film cameras, but he has been servicing a few cameras up in the SF bay area for a few of us still despite what his website says. his public facing email from cinematechnic.com is cinematechnic@mac.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone interested in converting SR/SR2 in 2023, KameraDoctor on instagram will lead you to Danil, he is currently out of the UK. I don't want to speak to prices because we all know markets change but it was extremely reasonable for what I had done and really changed the notion that super 16mm conversions are too pricey for old SR's.

Super 16mm converted, PL Mount, Arriglow viewfinder, the videotap is SR3 design now with a high quality HD camera. On top of all that he completely refurbished all the internal parts and repainted the body. 

45665A18-D9E2-49E3-98DB-0FAAA03B0727.jpg

CB4A8BA2-A6F6-490B-A006-D4BB99BECE3F.jpg