I want to talk about film scanners.

hello

I want to talk about scanning 16mm 35mm film.

I scanned the film with a SCANITY SCNNER, LaserGraphics scanner, BLACKMAGIC SCANNER and ARRI SCAN.

However, the results seem to be the best for "scanity" flat log scans. The sharpness is good and the film texture is visible.

However, the result of working with LaserGraphics scanner is too soft.

Any idea why?

Please recommend which scanner can best preserve film quality.

Let us know your experience.

It works with INR auto of laser graphics.

You cannot turn this feature off.

looks like an old model...

It feels like automatic blurring.

Sharpness is very off.

As for the quality I've tried, SCANITY is the best.

6 hours ago, Jaehyun Kim said:

It works with INR auto of laser graphics.

This is a terrible feature that should not exist.

6 hours ago, Jaehyun Kim said:

You cannot turn this feature off.

Yes you can. It's an optional add-on that you have to pay extra to get. It was devised s a crude way to mask the FPN on the ScanStation 5k camera, and it results in a very soft image. Scan it on a 6.5k scanner, or ask them to turn the feature off. They may not want to turn it off because it may expose the noise. If they don't have 2-flash HDR (a much better way of getting rid of that noise), then INR may be the only option they have at their disposal. 

They may also have the terribly named "Filter" setting set such that it's softening the image. this is basically a sharpening filter. Zero is off, but if you set it to a positive number it sharpens and a negative number it softens. We keep it at zero on our machine.

25 minutes ago, Perry Paolantonio said:

이것은 존재해서는 안되는 끔찍한 기능입니다.

그래 넌 할수있어. 추가 비용을 지불해야 얻을 수 있는 선택적 추가 기능입니다. ScanStation 5k 카메라에서 FPN을 마스킹하는 조잡한 방식으로 고안되었으며 매우 부드러운 이미지를 생성합니다. 6.5k 스캐너에서 스캔하거나 기능을 끄도록 요청하십시오. 소음이 노출될 수 있기 때문에 끄고 싶지 않을 수 있습니다. 2 플래시 HDR(노이즈를 제거하는 훨씬 더 좋은 방법)이 없는 경우 INR이 마음대로 사용할 수 있는 유일한 옵션일 수 있습니다. 

그들은 또한 이미지를 부드럽게 만드는 "필터"라는 끔찍한 이름의 설정을 가지고 있을 수 있습니다. 이것은 기본적으로 샤프닝 필터입니다. 0은 꺼져 있지만 양수로 설정하면 선명해지고 음수로 설정하면 부드러워집니다. 우리는 기계에서 그것을 0으로 유지합니다.

thank you

this is not my scanner

This is the scanner being used in the lab.

I got the file from here and it's so soft. It always felt like this.

So I rescanned with scanity.

The difference in sharpness was too great.

I asked if this feature could be turned off, but they said it works automatically.

I will pass this on again.

17 minutes ago, Jaehyun Kim said:

I asked if this feature could be turned off, but they said it works automatically.

Yeah - that's what I was saying. they're wrong. It's something you can turn on and off. The ScanStation makes very sharp scans, regardless of the age of the machine (we have had every model since the very first 2k version), but there are settings you can use that will soften it - such as INR or filtering. 

6 minutes ago, Perry Paolantonio said:

네- 제가 말했던 것입니다. 그들은 틀렸다. 켜고 끌 수 있는 기능입니다. ScanStation은 기계의 사용 기간에 관계없이 매우 선명한 스캔을 생성하지만(우리는 최초의 2k 버전 이후로 모든 모델을 보유하고 있습니다) INR 또는 필터링과 같이 스캔을 부드럽게 하는 설정을 사용할 수 있습니다. 

thank you

I sent you a link to this article.

thank you.

They've been working like this for a long time.

I hope you read this article and revise it.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:39 AM, Jaehyun Kim said:

hello

I scanned the film with a SCANITY SCNNER, LaserGraphics scanner, BLACKMAGIC SCANNER and ARRI SCAN.

However, the results seem to be the best for "scanity" flat log scans. The sharpness is good and the film texture is visible.

Any idea why?

There's a lot of unknowns here. The Arriscans, Scanities, and LaserGraphics scanners all have artificial sharpening so you could be seeing the results of sharpening on their default settings. Bayer is much softer than RGB without sharpening, so the bayer scanners (Blackmagic Cintel and ScanStations) will be significantly softer compared with an Arri or Scanity or Director (you didn't specify if you used a LaserGraphics Director or one of their Bayer scanners). With the continuous-motion Bayer scanners - and this counts for all of them including Kinetta, DCS Xena, etc - the speed of the scan can also make it lose detail due to motion-blur. There's also several different models of each of the scanners you mentioned, and they can be configured in different ways or have different options as extras that are purchased by the owner.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:39 PM, Jaehyun Kim said:

hello

Any idea why?

안녕하세요, 저도 한국에서 16mm 필름을 촬영하고 있습니다. 필름을 어느 필름랩으로 보내십니까? 미국으로 보내시겠습니까 아니면 일본의 TOGEN Filmlab으로 보내시겠습니까?