WARNING: Dr. Bolex not returning camera

Alexander Boyd

Not a class act really, but I want to inform those of you considering having a service/conversion done by Dr. Bolex. He has not returned my Rex 5 after he had (supposedly) inspected/serviced it at the beginning of June.

On June 12th I had paid the invoice. Since then he has gone from telling me that "the camera was shipped and that he would send me the tracking number" to "the camera is waiting to be shipped" to not responding at all. I don't want to insinuate anything (things can happen), but the communications and the fact that it's been almost two months kinda make it clear to me that the camera is "gone" and that others may need to be warned. 

If you have any ideas on how to get ahold of him, kindly let me know, since I legally can't do much from here (Europe).

Edited by Alexander Boyd
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear that, Alexander. Unfortunately it’s not the first such complaint I’ve heard. See if you can reach him on the Bolex User Facebook group. He is a member of that group, even given “expert” status, but rarely posts much anymore after several people posted similar stories to yours. 

I’ve been telling my clients for a while now that there are no reliable Bolex S16 conversion people currently around, except Jean-Louis Seguin who is semi-retired.

• Upvote 1

Hello,

If you shipped the camera via a Government Postal Service, try contacting their Office of Postal Inspectors.  You may find them to be highly competent in tracing errant shipping, or determining whether it has actually been shipped.

If it went through a private shipping company, a Postal Inspector may at least be able to point you toward the proper method for regaining your property.

Of course that all depends on your country's laws, which may be different from U.S. law.

I hope this will help.

2 hours ago, Eric Eader said:

Hello,

If you shipped the camera via a Government Postal Service, try contacting their Office of Postal Inspectors.  You may find them to be highly competent in tracing errant shipping, or determining whether it has actually been shipped.

If it went through a private shipping company, a Postal Inspector may at least be able to point you toward the proper method for regaining your property.

Of course that all depends on your country's laws, which may be different from U.S. law.

I hope this will help.

Thanks Eric. The thing is, I know it arrived with him (I have the tracking history and he inspected/serviced it - he sent me photos of the camera), but he never shipped it. 

Anyway, Arthur seemed to be quite reputable, bummed to hear that the opposite is the case. 

• 8 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 5:43 PM, Alexander Boyd said:

Not a class act really, but I want to inform those of you considering having a service/conversion done by Dr. Bolex. He has not returned my Rex 5 after he had (supposedly) inspected/serviced it at the beginning of June.

On June 12th I had paid the invoice. Since then he has gone from telling me that "the camera was shipped and that he would send me the tracking number" to "the camera is waiting to be shipped" to not responding at all. I don't want to insinuate anything (things can happen), but the communications and the fact that it's been almost two months kinda make it clear to me that the camera is "gone" and that others may need to be warned. 

If you have any ideas on how to get ahold of him, kindly let me know, since I legally can't do much from here (Europe).

Hey Alexander... Dr. Bolex here... did you ever get your camera??? How were you communicating with me??? I have no record of you on my books... what email were you using???

Let me know Arthur

On 8/6/2023 at 8:22 AM, Dom Jaeger said:

Sorry to hear that, Alexander. Unfortunately it’s not the first such complaint I’ve heard. See if you can reach him on the Bolex User Facebook group. He is a member of that group, even given “expert” status, but rarely posts much anymore after several people posted similar stories to yours. 

I’ve been telling my clients for a while now that there are no reliable Bolex S16 conversion people currently around, except Jean-Louis Seguin who is semi-retired.

Spoke to Les Bosher the other day about converting a Bolex to S16. He said he could do it for £900 if that's of any interest?

On 4/19/2024 at 10:56 AM, Arthur Sanchez said:

Hey Alexander... Dr. Bolex here... did you ever get your camera??? How were you communicating with me??? I have no record of you on my books... what email were you using???

Let me know Arthur

This is odd... Nobody has ever contacted me to complain... I always here about it by some one else telling their tale... And some i've never worked on their camera...

It's not like i'm hard to find or get it touch with.