Losing my mind trying to get in

Hmmm -- That sounds a lot like what Churchill was saying during World War Two......

-- J.S.

But hang on we won didn't we?

I thought we won?

Please tell me we did win right?

love

Freya

Hey David,

Good to hear from you.

All is ok thanks....we're having a crap July weatherwise here in the UK, which dampens the spirits a bit.

Fortunately work has been slowly gaining some momentum...

Hope all is well with you in sunny LA!

Hey David,

Good to hear from you.

All is ok thanks....we're having a crap July weatherwise here in the UK, which dampens the spirits a bit.

I know what you mean! It's been so hard to get anything done! I'm sooo glad it's starting to cool off now.

It's actually even raining here! Loads of beautiful rain! :)

Bet it's even hotter in L.A. tho but then they have air conditioning and are used to it!

love

Freya

All is we Serge. But I moved my office to sunny Florida seven years ago B)

My family and I are VERY happy with the move. I'm not shooting narrative (Features) any more.... but ironically I have made far more since leaving LA :lol:

Phil,

...Wait, what was that about coffee shops? :D

I have a hard time leaving the coffee shop but I still work, so where does that leave me?!

And you're right. Success is never guaranteed...but it doesn't mean you shouldn't give it your best shot.

I'm more realistic/fatalistic about things than my posts might seem. I don't expect people to magically remember I exist and call me for work (bonus points when they do! hee hee!). But I don't make that a reason to stop picking up the phone, either. There have been so many times in my life when I've sabotaged myself because I've been afraid to take risks... or perhaps I was even afraid of success. Enough already. I could have a billion doubting Thomases telling me how I'll never "make it", and it still wouldn't stop me from doing everything I'm doing now.

I'm just not in a place in my mind to think negatively about it anymore. I did it for years and it f*cked me. Whatever degree of humility or fear I'm supposed to be projecting now, well, for whatever reason, it's gone...and all that's left is the feeling that good things will come to me because I work hard and because I want them to. I mean, what do you want me to say? "Oh you're right. I am not good enough. Local 600 does not have enough of my money or tears. The life I have worked so hard to build for myself in this city which makes itself f*cking impossible to live in, is poop. Time to give up." Dream on, pal...dream on. Don't kill it for the rest of us. ;-)

All is we Serge. But I moved my office to sunny Florida seven years ago B)

My family and I are VERY happy with the move. I'm not shooting narrative (Features) any more.... but ironically I have made far more since leaving LA :lol:

For some reason I thought you were in LA. :rolleyes:

Good to hear that all is going well in sunny Florida....everywhere is sunny apart from UK.... :blink: I need to move.

Freya - I know that rain is an essential element for nature. But considering that you're in the UK.....you still manage to call it beautiful!?! <_<

Edited by Serge Teulon

Greetings,

I'm at my wit's end trying to get a paying job in this industry. Though my aspirations are to one day get into the 600 and become a DP, I'm currently just trying to transition from unpaid volunteer to paid set p.a.

So far I've worked two features as camera p.a/video assist, pulled focus for a few commercials, and interned as PA to a production office. All of the people I've worked with have been pleased with my contributions. I've also volunteered on several feature documentaries and other smaller, yet professional TV ventures.

I'm currently volunteering at a grip and lighting rental house just to learn about the equipment and make more connections. However, nothing seems to be panning out. I've sent out twelve resumes so just this month. Several of these were submitted through people I've worked with in the past who also happen to work on the show in question. However, I don't really forsee getting hired on any of these shows.

Through volunteer work, I have accquired more than enough hours to get into the 480 as Video Assist. However, I'm not sure if I should wait to join until I recieve some kind of paying job. I would really hate to fork over all that money and stilll be unemployed. Also, since my goal is to get into the 600, would it be a waste of time join the 480?

At any rate, I feel that my approach must be erroneous in some way. I would happily accept any advice you might offer. I also have two different versions of my resume that I could post if you would have any advice concerning that.

Thank you,

Rick Shepardson

I know exactly how you feel. I am currently working as DP on a feature in FL which I got by chance through a friend, but before that, I had over 150 resumes out to everything from local tv stations to big budget feature films, with no results. The field is full of people like us trying to wedge ourselves into the industry, which makes it harder for everybody. Just be the one that never gives up and stays with it. The moment you stop looking is the moment you are never gonna get it.

• Premium Member
But hang on we won didn't we?

I thought we won?

Please tell me we did win right?

love

Freya

Yes, technically. I remember another quote, something about a victory bought so dear as to be scarcely distinguishable from defeat.

-- J.S.

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings,

I'm at my wit's end trying to get a paying job in this industry. Though my aspirations are to one day get into the 600 and become a DP, I'm currently just trying to transition from unpaid volunteer to paid set p.a.

So far I've worked two features as camera p.a/video assist, pulled focus for a few commercials, and interned as PA to a production office. All of the people I've worked with have been pleased with my contributions. I've also volunteered on several feature documentaries and other smaller, yet professional TV ventures.

I'm currently volunteering at a grip and lighting rental house just to learn about the equipment and make more connections. However, nothing seems to be panning out. I've sent out twelve resumes so just this month. Several of these were submitted through people I've worked with in the past who also happen to work on the show in question. However, I don't really forsee getting hired on any of these shows.

Through volunteer work, I have accquired more than enough hours to get into the 480 as Video Assist. However, I'm not sure if I should wait to join until I recieve some kind of paying job. I would really hate to fork over all that money and stilll be unemployed. Also, since my goal is to get into the 600, would it be a waste of time join the 480?

At any rate, I feel that my approach must be erroneous in some way. I would happily accept any advice you might offer. I also have two different versions of my resume that I could post if you would have any advice concerning that.

Thank you,

Rick Shepardson

I don't know if this will help or what but it is relevant in a way. Julio Iglesias had been at it for most of his life till his fourties and had gathered a following in latin america from which he lived hardly well and had many downfalls and downslides but "kept it going" and was persistent like Mr. Mullen observed/stated. The thing is that one day at a party in Hollywood he met up with a friend by the name of Robert Mitchum (we all know who this guy is) and he told him that he was going to introduce him to his private publicist, and so he did. Now this PP told Julio that he was to attend another party where he was going to be introduced to a record executive who would be instrumental to his career. So he did and this one offered him to make a record with Dianna Ross which drew in the latin public to the mainstream where Julio had all of a sudden become the instrument of this markerting strategy. I guess what I'm trying to say is NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM whatever that may be. I could tell you another similar story about someone who is very famous and would be quite unbelievable... but I'll leave it at that.

The best to you and keep on trucking.

It may never happen or you might suddenly get a magic phone call to go and work with Janusz Kamiński on some dreadful looking comedy with a budget of $70 million...

I thought this was really funny, knowing the single person this actually happened to. If only we could all get one of those calls...

Having been out of school almost a year now with no prospects of paid work has definitely been discouraging. Even after interning at Panavision, which I thought would give me a huge step up with experience and networking, whereafter graduation I'd hit the ground running finding some great camera trainee gig and fast tracking to the union, at the very least working full time at Pany.

I haven't been able to get a staff job there or at any other rental house. It seems that the turnover rate at these places has been alot slower lately. I've been constantly on the hunt, alot of the gigs I apply to are through sites like mandy and craigslist (which is basically useless), now I've been going to production offices and inquiring about camera trainee or set pa jobs as I'm desperately trying to get on any set, but this has turned no results whatsoever. The few people I know and call for jobs, usually aren't able to refer or hire. I recently got told I wouldn't be working on a free gig I was doing as a favor, because the DP didn't want to work with a 2nd AC whom he didn't know. Alot of people have told me NY is small in terms of how many productions are going on and that makes it seem even more impossible to get into any camera department. I'm considering going out to LA, but how different would it really be?

Maybe I should try what Larry David did to befriend the rabbi to get the tickets for temple except I'd just hang around a rental house, and intentionally back into some other AC's car, and leave a note saying we should meet for lunch and discuss taking care of the damage, and befriend him and get hired. I'm running out of other ideas and am getting to the point of desperation where this seems plausible.

Someone..Halp

I thought I would be directing feature films well before the age of 38. Since I started with Super 8 at age 12, I assumed I would be doing big movies by say 26? Never happened, had to wait until I was 38, and that was a low budget indie.

Now I'm into week four of feature film number two at age 41. The good news is that the movies are now coming much closer together!

All you can do is stick with it. I made a life goal to direct 10 feature films, two down, eight to go.

Ron Howard recently stated that he felt he was just hitting his stride at age 55.

R,

• Premium Member
Greetings,

Thank you,

Rick Shepardson

dude, this is a crazy business and you simply have to be a little crazy to be in it. do not under any circumstances compare the metrics of "success" that are utilized in any other industry in regard to the film business. they don't apply. this is show business and at the end of the day you have to decide to stay in it regardless of your bills or your living/working conditions. you stay in it because its the only thing that drives you. its why you wake up in the morning.

crazy? perhaps. but if you're not that committed then you will probably get eaten alive by all the people (like me) who are that committed.

gd luck.

f

• Premium Member

For mind loss :

Take 1 part coke 1 part Jack Daniels, sit in 1 room, dimly lit, at night, comfy bed, drink, inhale, exhale, and remind yourself there are always other shoots. Keep doing it, and it'll come. Not everything you do will be perfect, or beautiful, or even enjoyable. But if you keep at it you can make it.

• 2 weeks later...
It may never happen or you might suddenly get a magic phone call to go and work with Janusz Kamiński on some dreadful looking comedy with a budget of $70 million...

...and then get run over by a bus and killed the next morning. There are no guarantees about anything. :)

The funny thing is, this reminds me of something: the next freebie or low-budget you do, look over at that cinematographer, and think if he or she has imagination, drive and talent. Ignore everything else that comes to mind, (i.e.: I could be doing this, why aren't I shooting, fault-finding, etc.) then work your a#$ off and establish a collaborative, friendly relationship. If I would have had this advice 21 years ago, maybe I'd have been working with Janusz 12 years ago when I moved to L.A.!! - Then maybe shooting my own blockbusters today instead of reading forum posts....! You never know who you're going to meet, but imagination, drive, and talent is a magic combination.

• 1 month later...
Rick,

In whatever business you choose to pursue your career, you will probably start at THE BOTTOM. You can just as easily start at the bottom of the Movies as any other business :rolleyes:

Most of the people I went to film school with never stayed with it and have faded into the ether. Some had very good early success. I didn't, but I stuck with it. I don't have a gold statuette, but it's still possible, even if not likely B)

Determination on your part will make a big difference. And remember what Tim Allen said in "Galaxy Quest": Never Give Up, Never Surrender....

Good luck Rick!

Rick, last year I was feeling much more like you started to describe up there in your post. Then I realized how many "steps" I had already taken to "get there" out in the business. And then, decisively confronted in "what area" I wanted to grow more as a professional. From what I read from you, this is -somehow- variant. I think the best decision you can make it´s to be really strong about your stand into the pro field, by sticking only to the area (singular) you really want to make your life out of. (live your act). And this statement is so true....once you apply it to your daily life, it becomes a habit, once it becomes a habit that you like, it will bring you happiness, thus completing the motion in the universe you want.

• 2 weeks later...
There probably were billions of "big bangs", but this was the one where enough clumpy matter was created to form stars and planets with the right heavier elements like carbon, where the expansion wasn't too fast or too slow. We could have had a billion previous big bangs that just evenly distributed hydrogen and helium, or just collapsed back immediately due to gravity, etc. It's the old problem of anthropomorphism, because only the right sequence of events had to happen for us to be here to talk about it, therefore it must mean something... but if those elements didn't come together, we wouldn't be here talking about it, so of course the right sequence of events happened. Is that destiny or just luck?

Anyway, attrition is the right word -- the people who have a long career are mainly the ones that stuck with it.

It took a long time for me to get to a point where I was supporting myself enough to call it a career, so don't worry too much about it.

Well....I finally got a big bang that just might trigger a globular cluster which might have a good chance of condencing into a solar disc.

Actually, it is a very decent 3 day gig which will perhaps turn into a feature job in the camera department. I am very lucky to have gotten this and in some ways very humbled. Now I'm nervous as hell....hopefully I'll walk the line on this.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and encouragement.

-rick