Variable ND Filter for Canon 5dmk 11?

Josh Phoenix

Im sorry, the full name is variable neutral density filter. This allows you to make the exposure darker without changing the aperture or shutter speed. This is needed if you want to have a really shallow depth of field (which requires an open aperture) while still maintaing the proper exposure.

Im sorry, the full name is variable neutral density filter. This allows you to make the exposure darker without changing the aperture or shutter speed. This is needed if you want to have a really shallow depth of field (which requires an open aperture) while still maintaing the proper exposure.

HI,

I'm sure Mr Keth got the ND bit, it's more the variable part - do you just mean a standard ND filter, or is it some sort of contraption where you can actualy change the degree of darkness?

There's no reason a standard screw on Photo ND filter wont work on your lens. The tiffen and lee ones are great, but some of the cheaper ones work fine, your main concern is glass quality and how neutral they really are, you don't want coloured tinting.

Remember one size rarely fits all, you'll probably need to buy two or more filters of different degrees of darkness (you can stack them to get a third even one that's even darker) as well as a soft graduate ND, which come in handy all the time, especialy with the more limited DR of some digital cameras.

Fred

Edited by Frederik Nielssen

Thank you for that advice. A variable ND is just what the name implies, you can turn the filter and it goes from dark to light. This way you can get the exact exposure without switching out filters. I learned about this watching a Philip Bloom tutorial and it looked pretty cool.

Thank you for that advice. A variable ND is just what the name implies, you can turn the filter and it goes from dark to light. This way you can get the exact exposure without switching out filters. I learned about this watching a Philip Bloom tutorial and it looked pretty cool.

Ah, I see, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, they sound very cool though :) You can achieve something similar with two polarizing filters in rotating filter trays, I guess that might be a variable ND is.

Fred

Edited by Frederik Nielssen

I think I found what im looking for, thanks for all the replies! This filter below changes the exposure when turned and it has markings so you know how many stops it is blocking.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676818-REG/Genus_GL_GNDF_62_62mm_ND_Neutral_Density.html

Edited by Josh Phoenix

• 4 months later...

Interesting. If they are using 2 polas to do this, how are they avoiding the extreme color shifts that tend to happen? I've messed around with a pair of circular polas in the past and found that with anything more than a 2 stop reduction there is a magenta shift that can be hard to balance out. I've certainly never achieved anything like the 8 stops they are claiming.

• Premium Member

Interesting. If they are using 2 polas to do this, how are they avoiding the extreme color shifts that tend to happen? I've messed around with a pair of circular polas in the past and found that with anything more than a 2 stop reduction there is a magenta shift that can be hard to balance out. I've certainly never achieved anything like the 8 stops they are claiming.

I don't know the difference between a neutral density filter and polarizing filter, but I have not noticed any color shifts with the Singh-Ray scalable ND.