Battle: Los Angeles

Did anyone watch this over the weekend? I saw it on Saturday and I thought it was a good movie. It does have cliches and cheese, but it's not over the top like a Roland Emmerich movie (take your pick).

Critics appear to not like the style of cinematography which I thought worked really well in heightening its realism, despite there being an army of evil alien invaders. The camera for the most part stayed at ground level, in amongst the squad as if the cameraman were physically there in the story as a participant instead of taking the more usual God's eye approach. It appears the DP does enjoy his 100mm lens. One observation I made was that the framing was often very tight in its composition with high eyelines; it made me feel as if they had cropped to 2.40 when they originally had composed for a 1.85 frame. I also enjoy that it was shot on film (don't know the specs - 3-perf Super 35 on Fuji is my guess).

So, what does everybody else think?

Thanks to all who read and those who reply.

Do you own any movies that you'd consider dumb? That kind of movie where you can just sit back and switch off from the world? Forget taste, substance and have some fun? You can't judge them with the same merits as something from the greats of film because they serve a different function. A film will move you, a movie will rock you. Battle: LA isn't a film, it's a movie.

I can change from being in film mode to movie mode no problem. I watch the Friday the 13th movies knowing that they're bad. My sister watches Van Damme movies knowing he's going to do split kicks and whoop ass. There are limits, however; no-one in my family will watch a Steven Seagal movie. Before watching Battle: LA the last film I saw in the theaters was Black Swan, and I would class Black Swan as being down the middle between a movie and a film because I had a great time watching it.

My best of last year is utter rubbish but I will watch it over and over again. I can imagine watching Battle: LA at home with some friends and a few drinks because its a lite bite, not a Derek Jarman film (I once had a physical reaction to a Derek Jarman film because I hated it so much).

Edited by Chris D Walker

• Premium Member

I own Transformers......

I'm actually looking forward to Battle:La just because I know it's going to have some huge explosions and I won't have to think about anything just go with it. And, as mentioned, I think that's great, fine, and dandy. Jurassic Park is another movie which is like that. It's not much for writing or cinematography, plot, or logic (couldn't they just neuter the dinosaurs?) but man, is it a great show.

• Premium Member
That kind of movie where you can just sit back and switch off from the world?

I know what you mean.

I tend toward the opinion that things like The Fifth Element and Moulin Rouge and are great examples of this done well. It's fun, diversion, a couple of hours of entertainment. Anything that makes the visuals a big part of the value of the thing leans toward this, but it's all good anyway.

Back here in the old world I've only seen the trailers for Battle, but it seems to be another one that was going for the "pure entertainment" approach, that were trying to just be fun, but ended up trapped by the assumption that this sort of thing done well is somehow undemanding. There's a difference between a piece of fun that's not wearing some political or moral point on its sleeve, and something that's just slack and obvious.

P

• 3 weeks later...

Usually I chose a seat at the distance of the screen's width. Now I don't mind handheld shots and a bit of shaking, but when I watched BATTLE: LOS ANGELES on a 72 ft. screen, it became so unpleasant that I moved back to about 1,8x screen width. Even then, I found the cinematography disturbing. Too many TV-style closeups in the first ten minutes, you should have a reason if you treat the audience to Sergio-Leone-size portraits.

I think I understand what the filmmakers intended, but for me it did not work. In my opinion, only Aaron Eckhart's fine performance held together this movie. Not that he or any other actor had much help from the script, even a popcorn movie should have some intelligent dialogue lines.

I saw a 35mm print with decent sharpness in the few places where it was not destroyed intentionally.

Certainly you can use techniques like that if the director knows how to do it, but use it constantly for almost two hours and it becomes a nuisance. Heavy shaking even in a simple office scene like Eckhart talking about his retirement is just bad filmmaking.

Edited by Christian Appelt

Usually I chose a seat at the distance of the screen's width. Now I don't mind handheld shots and a bit of shaking, but when I watched BATTLE: LOS ANGELES on a 72 ft. screen, it became so unpleasant that I moved back to about 1,8x screen width. Even then, I found the cinematography disturbing. Too many TV-style closeups in the first ten minutes, you should have a reason if you treat the audience to Sergio-Leone-size portraits.

I think I understand what the filmmakers intended, but for me it did not work. In my opinion, only Aaron Eckhart's fine performance held together this movie. Not that he or any other actor had much help from the script, even a popcorn movie should have some intelligent dialogue lines.

I saw a 35mm print with decent sharpness in the few places where it was not destroyed intentionally.

Certainly you can use techniques like that if the director knows how to do it, but use it constantly for almost two hours and it becomes a nuisance. Heavy shaking even in a simple office scene like Eckhart talking about his retirement is just bad filmmaking.

That does appear to be the effect they wanted. That whole documentary feel. Putting you right in the thick of the action.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at various Blu-ray sites and it would seem that various countries renamed this movie, also Fast Five. They should not be allowed to do this. A movie title is part of the movie and the name should stay, wherever it is shown.