S-16 or Digital for new 30 min Project about city History

Sandy Thomson

Way back in 2006 I started back into the doc film production business. I had been in it 20 years before and then was shooting 16mm and editing on a Moviola! Bought a very nice used SR2 in 2006 after soliciting opinions on this forum about film or digital. I started shooting a 1 hr doc that Is just now going into editing. Seven years of shooting! Duration was framed by the subject. First third was S-16 then XD cam shooting with an EX3 and Canon 60D.

Looking now at a new project for a municipality about historic properties and am wondering if I should try to push the project into film acquisition. The editor who is cutting my 1 hr doc is not as old as I am but he is a real pro and his eyes lit up upon mentioning the idea of shooting again in S-16. Everyone i know in the business is now shooting digital but I still have the film gear. Nothing I'd like more than to resurrect it, because this is the kind of film someone might want to look at 20 or 30 years down the road. I still like the look of film better than HD and then there's the archival thing. Maybe not rational, but.

The budget for this project is going to be around 150k so i think I can afford film, but what do you think? I know i'll be taking money out of my pocket and putting it into film,processing and transfers but at my stage in life.... why not?

Guest Christopher Sheneman

What's the documentary about (vaguely)? Docs can have run away shooting ratios like 100:1 - seriously. Can you afford that? Can you edit that??

Maybe you can just advise the subjects being film "Come one, spit it out! This is 16mm. Just a minute, need to change a magazine!".

Or is this a Ken Burns-style with the photos on the copy-stand and Liev Schreiber-type narration ?

• Premium Member

I'm not aware of any broadcast problems with S16mm in the US at least. In the UK perhaps. BUT, if the material is strong enough I can't see how it would make a difference.

I think you answered your own question, when you said you prefer the look of film. It's your documentary and therefore your choice. Now the question is whether or not you can afford that and for such I suggest you investigate how much it'll cost you. If the money is there, and you like the look, and you think it'll be worthwhile, then what is the problem? All the issues with shooting film on a doc have been faced before by many other filmmakers, so the solutions are there already if one does a bit of research.

It could be more a commissioning issue with S16, than a buy in, but it's regarded as a standard definition format by UK and other HD channels. However, it doesn't sound like they'll be involved in this case and there are tiers for HD within the broadcast channels.

Looking now at a new project for a municipality about historic properties and am wondering if I should try to push the project into film acquisition. The editor who is cutting my 1 hr doc is not as old as I am but he is a real pro and his eyes lit up upon mentioning the idea of shooting again in S-16. Everyone i know in the business is now shooting digital but I still have the film gear. Nothing I'd like more than to resurrect it, because this is the kind of film someone might want to look at 20 or 30 years down the road. I still like the look of film better than HD and then there's the archival thing. Maybe not rational, but.

The budget for this project is going to be around 150k so i think I can afford film, but what do you think? I know i'll be taking money out of my pocket and putting it into film,processing and transfers but at my stage in life.... why not?

If you are in the UK then right now is a great time to shoot in on film.

I say shoot it on film. Shoot it on Fuji.

The price is right at the moment.

You can always shoot digital later.

Freya