Projecting vertical

Francesco Palombi

Hi everyone,

I do mostly photography and for an installation I'm planning to project some super 8 videos i'm planning to shoot.

My question is, can I project them vertically?

I don't have a super 8 projector and I've never used it, so I've no idea if that can be challenging.

Thanks,

Francesco

Use two (surface) mirrors, project on one and onto the other, rotate them both a part of total 90 degrees for portrait and of course make them project on the screen ahead.

You can't rotate a projected image with flat mirrors alone, only reverse it.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

You can't rotate a projected image with flat mirrors alone, only reverse it.

True, for rotation you need to use something like a Dove prism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dove_prism

But as Joerg mentioned, the nearly square S8 frame turned sideways is hardly portrait. A fairly simple method to get a more vertical projection aspect ratio is to shoot and then project with a 2X anamorphic lens turned 90 degrees (so that it compresses and later uncompresses vertically). This is what Tacita Dean did for her marvellous Tate installation. A 4:3 horizontal frame would become a 4:6 vertical one, some masking of the sides could make it more portrait still.

Or simply mask a normal frame, but you'd lose a lot of image area.

For an installation that may be running for a while I don't think turning a projector sideways would be a good idea.

Thanks everyone.

Coming from photography the Super 8 frame turned, for me make kind of a big difference. Just look at 4x5 photography, vertical and horizontal pics.

Mmm anyway this sounds tricky..the use of a prism i guess would bring too much attention to the viewer, unless I can kind of hide that.

The tape I guess I just have to give it a try and see how it looks.

Thanks

F

IMHO the main problem would be the heat:

Normally the hot gets blown out of the projector to its left side and then floats up:

post-61355-0-94051200-1395054157_thumb.jpg

However when the projector gets rotated, the hot air gets blown out to the bottom and then returns:

post-61355-0-06085300-1395054167_thumb.jpg

This shouldn't cause a problem when projecting a single reel. However when you do this in an "endless loop" for an installation, I fear that the projector and the film might get too hot.