Video: How To Slate

Haha. The "how not to" was great and just funny to watch and I thought the video is a great start but missing SO MANY important points.

I really do appreciate the effort on producing a "How to" video but they should had made it more thorough and precise.

To distinguish them from head slates so the editor doesn't listen for a clap at the wrong end of the take when he's syncing up the mag.

A Cornetto is a delicious ice creamy comestible and yes, you should at least try one.

Incidentally the Cornetto gondolier, Frank Coda, played the lead in one of our student films.

Not this Cornetto man, though.

• Premium Member
To distinguish them from head slates so the editor doesn't listen for a clap at the wrong end of the take when he's syncing up the mag.

Ah yes.

But when transferred on an early line-array telecine, the image would be inverted when you were going backward, so it would be the right way up as you found it...

Mm, cornetto.

P

• Premium Member

Feel the lack of a video, no, of a film, that shows (future) clapper-loaders (slaters) how it looks and sounds in the editing room.

I mean on the Moviola, on a flatbed editor, on synch rollers

Here’s something that many of us might react to with a grin because Jon Taala alias The Unfinished (DEUS NONDUM TE CONFECIT) at times does it rather awkwardly. For example has he the synch roller on a light box but he doesn’t use the light from underneath for marking. When I set up, I don’t care about the precise lenght of head leaders. I attach film to core, wind forward to end of leader, then lock wheel, open roller guide, place strip on wheel respecting frame line, close guide, set single-frame number disk to Zero, set counter to Zero.

Synchronizing is probably done fastest on flatbeds. What I like with Taala is the use of the Rivas.

Every clapper should have synched once for one hard day.

• 2 weeks later...